Soapy Insect Repellent

djlen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Somewhere on here I saw a recipe for a home made insect repellent that's ingredients
included dish soap, and I think either vegetable oil or rubbing alcohol or both.
I will be using it on some indoor plants, mostly Fukien Tea.
If anyone has the recipe for this solution I'd appreciate it or a link to it.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Carls soap solution

Here you go - Its labled Carl's, but he will tell you he doesn't get the credit, but he put it out there so many times, we now attribute it to him. Carl is Carl Rosner. I also picked up a post to that thread by Behr (RIP)

CARL’S SOAP SOLUTION!

INGREDIENTS
Water
Dish Detergent
Rubbing Alcohol

DIRECTIONS
Fill a gallon jug with water and add one (1) or two (2) tablespoons of dishwashing detergent and one (1) tablespoon of vegetable oil (or Neem oil). Shake up the gallon jug to mix the ingredients.

Fill this solution from the gallon bottle into a spray bottle and just before using add 1 to 2 two caps full (from the rubbing alcohol bottle) of rubbing alcohol and spray immediately. If you do not use the full bottle of spray, I suggest the next time you are going to use the soap/alcohol solution add the same amount of rubbing alcohol again, since the alcohol will evaporate. I store this soap/oil solution in the gallon jug for months on end. It does not seem to go bad.

Spray on plants covering all leaf and stem surfaces. You may have to spray from three to four times with intervals of three days. I have eliminated almost any kind of pest that has attacked my trees, including scale.

I do not wash off the spray and have seen no adverse reaction to the trees from this mixture.

Carl L. Rosner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BehrAugust 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I have modified Mr. Carl’s recipe somewhat for my purposes and like the results...I use 1 table spoon of dishwashing detergent and 2 to 3 table spoons of 'Garlic Oil'...The addition of garlic makes the recipe even more thorough on insects plus many viral and bacterial pests...I have been using it for several years as a first attempt at controlling pests...

Regards
Behr

djlen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is detergent OK to use? I was going to use Dawn dishwashing detergent but didn't know whether it's safe for
plants or not.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the stuff. It has worked for all of my pest issues. Yes Dawn will be just fine.

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
Scale appeared on my tropicals again, had to look this up. It funny how you want have a problem for year our two and then they just show up again. But I thought bring it to everyone attention again it because it works great to get rid of Scale.

Francis

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have used this stuff for years..After reading Carl's thread, I never really worried about pests again. I had an on going scale probelm for years.. Once and a while it pops back up. However, this stuff works very well. One of the best things about it is that you can spray anywhere.. indoors, outdoors etc... No more having to isolated a tree from people or animals because of toxicity.

I personally leave it on for about 18-22 hours or so, then, I thoroughly hose off the plant.

Rob

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Rob good idea on the washing off afterwards, although I usually water the tops too.

Question - With the neem oil additive, anyone have input on plants that DO NOT like neem oil. Iv'e read a couple here and there but am now actually interested in using it and wondering.

djlen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd be curious to know the answer to the Neem Oil question that Bill S. posts. I have changed my recipe from
detergent to Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap because it's pure soap and very, very mild. I was using vegetable oil in the recipe but have started using Neem Oil occasionally for it's value as a Fungicide/Miticide. I have had no adverse reaction to using it but if there is a plant or two that is sensitive to it I'd like to know what it/they are.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Will this solution work on Azalea lace bug? They are all over my Azalea.
Thanks,
NN

nsmar4211

Sapling
Reaction score
In my experience Portulacaria afra *do not* like neem oil. A few of mine got some overspray from me treating vegetables and shed all the leaves the neem oil touched!

I've used the soap/rubbing alcohol/water receipe on them with no issues however.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I read on another forum that soap sprays shouldnt be used on Tridents.
I use it on all my maples without an issue but I do not use the oil or neem on them.
Cedar Elms do not like oils either.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks for the quick answers, keep em coming if you know trees that don't like neem oil.

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Soap, soap, soap, not detergent.

If you don't have some Ivory Liquid, Dr. Bonner's (liquid) propaganda soap will work fine.

Both are reasonably priced and have off-bonsai uses.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Use Dishwashing liquid (soap) only. I have used the orange Palmolive and Ivory. Both work well, are not harsh and are not detergents. However, I just use the orange palmolive now.

Here are the 2 soaps that are good for this. Also, this is the oil I recommend.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_5052.jpg
    IMG_5052.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 33

Fallen_Reality

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Also, doesn't the oil stop the stoma from exchanging gases?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
From what I've read, any dishwashing soap works just AVOID anti-bacterial.

The soap just works as emulsifying agent for the oil...breaking it down to mix with water.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
From what I've read, any dishwashing soap works just AVOID anti-bacterial.

You know, I have heard this. However, the Palmolive I have always used is antibacterial. I have never had a problem. I cannot say about other antibacterial brands though. I have been using the palmolive for about 5 years.

One thing that I would like to mention is that I always protect the soil. I usually wrap a plastic bag around the pot and over the soil when I spray. Also, when I shower the tree off the next day. I also wrap a bag around the soil once again to prevent the solution from washing off into the soil.

Rob

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You know, I have heard this. However, the Palmolive I have always used is antibacterial. I have never had a problem. I cannot say about other antibacterial brands though. I have been using the palmolive for about 5 years.

One thing that I would like to mention is that I always protect the soil. I usually wrap a plastic bag around the pot and over the soil when I spray. Also, when I shower the tree off the next day. I also wrap a bag around the soil once again to prevent the solution from washing off into the soil.

Rob

Rob that is the key. From what I've read, anti-bacterial will kill the beneficial bacteria in the soil if it drips there.

Why take the risk if you can use a safer product (at the same price & effort)?

Top Bottom