Softwood cutting on BRT...

Random User

Reaction score
In the articles I have read, it was stated that the likelihood of getting a softwood cutting to take from Brazilian Rain Trees is about 10% chance. I have tried getting two others to take before I tried using a different method. (Air-layers are easy, and supposedly hard-wood cuttings are easy as well)

I had a venus flytrap in a pot, under a "glass-type dome" that I robbed off of an old clock like the one in the link. https://www.thewellmadeclock.com/cl...k-forest-quartz-time-only-embossed-dial-9559/ (I say "glass type" because when I drilled the hole in the top (about 1/8" dia), I never managed to determine what type of material it really is... it may actually be glass, but didn't entirely act like glass either...) The flytrap died after I ran out of boxelder beetles to feed at some point in the winter... I happened to take a cutting (from the BRT) and put it in soil, in a plastic pot, that happened to fit well with the dome.

This has to be close to 2 months on and finally the leaves on the cutting are starting to act BRT-ish... (if you have a BRT, you know what I mean) The cutting was about 20cm long origonaly and not surprisingly, a portion of the top has died off.

So, if you have a BRT that you want to propagate, and don't have the option of hardwood cuttings or airliners, you might try this method... I'm certain that a bamboo stick on the pot, with a plastic bag and a small hole would do the same thing... it takes a long time though, at least 2 months... not to mention the HO T-5's for lighting. (or natural sun light in the summer)

Top Bottom