Soggy Boggy Soils

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right now I’m a bit worried about a couple of my nursery stock Acers which are still in the ground they arrived in. Basically they were ground grown, dug up when purchased and thrown into a random pot for transport with the earth they were field grown in.

The seasons are changing and we are having a lot of rain over the last few days which has them being a bit more waterlogged than I am happy with. The idea had been to leave them alone and pot them into some good draining substrate in early Spring as ideally I don‘t want to be disturbing the roots now and also one of them was only dug up some weeks ago so it’s probably had enough trauma for now. But the prospect of Wintering in this earth bothers me, I’m concerned they will be too wet and that soggy earth could potentially freeze the roots when the temperatures dip.

Any advice on how to help them over winter when it arrives? Should I wrap the pots with something when the time comes? I could go ahead and repot them now but there seems to be very mixed opinions out there on google when it comes to Fall repotting.

I’d appreciate and input or advice anyone here has.

thanks

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once leaves start to drop, move them into a shed (And hand water over winter (!)
Or pull them out of the pot, and move them into the garden for winter. Pot up in spring.
Or make covers for the pot so most of the rain runs off.

Any pictures? I find that in winter waterlogging is not too much of an issue, tbh.

Could you send some of the rain here? Less than half an inch for what feels like all month. Just started drizzling yesterday.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
with the wet winters we have in the UK i was wondering how this Carp will make it through in this muddy mess, but ill re visit the nursery in spring and there will be buds popping everywhere😉
and i will bring it home and begin executing my vision for it.
20200926_105935.jpg

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once leaves start to drop, move them into a shed (And hand water over winter (!)
Or pull them out of the pot, and move them into the garden for winter. Pot up in spring.
Or make covers for the pot so most of the rain runs off.

Any pictures? I find that in winter waterlogging is not too much of an issue, tbh.

Could you send some of the rain here? Less than half an inch for what feels like all month. Just started drizzling yesterday.
You can have all the rain! It’s falling mostly during the night at the moment and is very loud and heavy. Wakes me up every time, but then I must be the worlds lightest sleeper. Right now it’s not raining but is very foggy and damp which is crazy given how warm and sunny it was just a couple days ago.
Not looking forward to when winter rolls around, hope it’s not going to be a really cold one after the usual soaking wet fall.

Good idea with the shed, it’s a bit dark in there but at least they’d be protected.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
with the wet winters we have in the UK i was wondering how this Carp will make it through in this muddy mess, but ill re visit the nursery in spring and there will be buds popping everywhere😉
and i will bring it home and begin executing my vision for it.
View attachment 331420
That’s a nice chunky trunk!!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Another big carving project to follow your avatar?

it depends.
could just be a V cut between two subtrunks. the ram rod straight main trunk isnt usuable.
20200926_184232.jpg

the material could be better suited to a powerful stump rather than a tapered one.

Top Bottom