Soggy BRT

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I got a BRT from Brussel's last summer, and was really pleased with it, for the price. But it was in an ugly mashed potato bowl pot. I pretty much just slip potted it into a custom made pot from @Stickroot, leaving most of the soil it came in. It did fine all summer, but dropped all of it's leaves within a week of bringing it in, in the fall. While my smaller BRT never dropped a leaf. It sat around looking dead all winter, and finally popped some new leaves closer to spring. It's been outside for a good while, and temps have been above average, but it's not as vigorous as it should be and the soil is staying wet too long. I pulled it out yesterday, and sure enough, a lot of rotted roots. I cleaned all of the soggy soil out, trimmed off what was dead, and cleaned out a bit of rot around the trunk. I repotted it in a fast draining mix and put it in the shade. Is there anything else I can do to help it recover, other than cross my fingers, and say a prayer? I would have taken pictures, but I didn't have time.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well I tossed it out because many so use that technique. An inorganic substrate should not keep soggy feet. (Was my thought process.) But, honestly wait and see if another sheds light onto the matter. Have any heat to put under the pot maybe? If Not tenting...

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any thoughts, those with BRT's? @c54fun. Or @LanceMac10 ?
Sounds like its not to happy. I keep mine in the heated greenhouse now but I do remember the flat top loosing about 90% of its leaves bringing it into the house for the winter. Sounds like you have done whats needed. Did you also defoliate this tree. Some do and some don't. Mine all do it naturally when needed.
It should bounce back. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Sounds like its not to happy. I keep mine in the heated greenhouse now but I do remember the flat top loosing about 90% of its leaves bringing it into the house for the winter. Sounds like you have done whats needed. Did you also defoliate this tree. Some do and some don't. Mine all do it naturally when needed.
It should bounce back. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
No, I didn't defoliate it did it on it's own. But since my other one overwintered fine indoors, I'm sure it was the soil that didn't drain well. Thanks for the well wishes. If I wouldn't have repotted, I think it would have eventually rotted for sure. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One beer penalty for slip potting!!! "It did fine all summer".....why didn't you repot it last year? Slip potting is lazy, impatient and usually does more harm than good.:):):):):):):):):):):):)
Put it in the sun. And no baggy, thank you.

Ummmmmmm…….

cameras.gif

even one from right now would help, include the soil images.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
One beer penalty for slip potting!!! "It did fine all summer".....why didn't you repot it last year? Slip potting is lazy, impatient and usually does more harm than good.:):):):):):):):):):):):)
Put it in the sun. And no baggy, thank you.

Ummmmmmm…….

View attachment 196476

even one from right now would help, include the soil images.:cool::cool::cool::cool:
I accept the penalty, since it's only one beer, and you're right. I'm at work, so I'll get a picture when I get home.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Now some positive vibes....
? What's supposed to be there? So it's evening so it's leaves are folded up. It's not that droopy during the day. But I'm going to lose a couple branches for sure, if it pulls through. It's in bonsai soil and a little coarse sand (I read that's what they grow in). It looks wet because we had a big thunderstorm last night. The little one I got off of eBay a couple years ago for $5 looks a helluva lot better right now....2018-06-12 18.28.55.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, it's got some leaves, so maybe a little shade from mid-day sun will be necessary.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have it on the east side of my house. So, it's getting morning sun, afternoon shade. If it pulls through, I'll clip off some of the leggy growth, and have to address the couple dead branches.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have it on the east side of my house. So, it's getting morning sun, afternoon shade. If it pulls through, I'll clip off some of the leggy growth, and have to address the couple dead branches.

Full East is the most intense Sun. Move it to Full West dappled if possible. If the new growth is shriveling up I would spray it with Daconil too...

Grimmy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Full East is the most intense Sun. Move it to Full West dappled if possible. If the new growth is shriveling up I would spray it with Daconil too...

Grimmy
I'll move it when I go home for lunch. The new growth isn't shriveling, was just sleeping when I took the picture. It had perked up this morning.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'll move it when I go home for lunch. The new growth isn't shriveling, was just sleeping when I took the picture. It had perked up this morning.

Understood and I recommended the move anyways. BRT have "in general" delicate braches, the problem however is most likely those wet roots. It will be a waiting game now but I am pretty certain it will work out.

Grimmy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm hoping I at least gave it a fighting chance. It definitely wouldn't have lasted the summer without the repot. I'm playing "Summer Breeze" to it, to cheer it up;).

Top Bottom