SoHem Nation, Kiwi Check-in.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I don't know if this is a relevant answer, but if you're looking for info on NZ native trees, https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/ is probably the place.

Although AusBonsai is Australian, there are members from the same geographic area, and New Zealand is much more comparable than a lot of places in Australia to Illinois.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My question for the Kiwi's or anyone else who may know is how do the Kauri's(Agathis) go as bonsai?

They are definitely an interesting, ancient conifer species and I wouldn't mind one if I could get my hands on them.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
And what about Wollemi pine ?

Since it was distributed around the world after its re-discovery in Australia, I've always thought that, one day, someone who try to make it a bonsai. There's a specimen in a park in the centre of Orléans, but it's not labelled : probably because they don't want anyone to steal it, the price of a 3-metre (ten feet) specimen is a real investment. In terms of money, but also of conservation.

Wollemi pine bonsai ? A real challenge, un vrai défi... ;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Metrocideros (New Zeland Christmas tree) is a pretty awesome evergreen. I have 3 that I chopped and potted up last spring. So far all have survived. I even repot one about 3 weeks ago in the heat, for science. Its doing okay!

They take a bit to recover from heavy root work I have found, I had cut about %75-%85 of the roots in one go. The foliage can be very pretty, and who knows how small the leaves can get.

Here are some photos.

mid January

potted up, heavy pumnis with this one. They seem to love dryness. Much like my coast live oaks that I have noticed so far. More fickle when it comes to root work though.

new growth from fall 2018 before i chopped

Currently most are pretty sparce still. They don't seem to like heavy root work. But so far, they havent died off. Two of them ( the two I hadpotted in spring) are growing. They will be left alone till spring 2021 most likely. The one I repotted 3 weeks ago hasn't moved much, but I have high hopes.

The foliage plus the flowers can make for some nice displays. The flowers look like red cheerleader pom poms. None of mine have put any out as of yet. I suspect they are a bit stressed 😬

SpOoNzL

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@sorce I have a few small NZ natives projects going on they are far from bonsai basically just saplings in a pot at the moment ill be posting some pictures soon on some of those projects just so I can have a reference and watch them develop and hopefully live lol. Currently I have a Totara, Corokia little prince, Kahikatea forest, Kowhai. I plan on getting a few more natives like Tea trees and a southern rata. @Starfox unsure if Kauri would be very suitable as bonsai it seems shed all its lower branches as far as I'm aware and has pretty big leaves maybe I might try one.

Last edited:

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
First there was @fredman , then there was @KiwiPlantGuy , now @SpOoNzL and a few new recently....

Call the rest here!

I don't remember if we've talked about NZ native trees or what before, but I want to get that conversation started again.

SoHem represent.

Sorce

Hi Sorce,
Thank you for opening up this thread.
@Cuzza , @BubblePopScott, bringing in the reinforcements 👍😁👏

I have to admit I have only a few native projects on the go. That is because most are not suitable long-term in my opinion. Yes there are plenty of trees here, but not many long lasting trunk species. Although there are exceptions or ones I have forgotten.
@Starfox, yes I am tempted very much to try Kauri ( Agathis australis), and my guess is they would do a big bonsai well. I am going to try some cuttings around Xmas if I remember as I get the adult foliage straight away. And the 1000 year old tree thing is way cool.

My collection so far is -
Metrosideros umbellata (Sth Rata)
Metrosideros excelsa (Pohutukawa NZ Xmas tree)
Fuscaspora solandri (NZ black/mountain beech)
Fuscaspora menzesii (Silver beech )
Podocarpus totara (NZ totara)
I am trying out a couple of forests of Black Beech and Totara, but have to wait lots of years to fruition.

I am developing a couple of Southern Ratas.
Here is as bought and 2 years on with development. I am waiting for this to flower and start the thread. They are predicting a “Mast” year so I might get lucky. Tree is maybe 6-8 yrs old, cutting grown as they don’t flower for 15 years otherwise.
AC0C8F8F-0B29-49AB-9814-A05B65FB038E.jpeg64479D20-0C95-447B-B336-BBECBFBFD808.jpeg4943BF66-9A9C-4392-AB05-2AA7102210A3.jpeg
Lots of fun as they ramify really fast. Design is stuck and can figure what to do with top right branch. Too heavy but big hole if gone. Also pondering on making it the next trunk and apex section (bend vertical etc).
I haven’t got any other photos as yet, but will add to this thread etc when I do.
Anyway, thank you for reading,
Charles

Cuzza

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
No natives for me yet. Looking at trying some Totara and see how we go. Any of you had experience chopping them back hard??

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks fellas.

It's nice having you all here.

The point is to get you all working on local stuff. The RIGHT local stuff.

Aaaaannnddd, so winter doesn't suck as much!

Sorce

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep, a shame all our pines are Radiata for forestry as there are pines everywhere you look.
Is this my cuzza or your cuzza?
Ps: For N Americans and Europeans 'cuzza' means 'cousin'

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
No natives for me yet. Looking at trying some Totara and see how we go. Any of you had experience chopping them back hard??

Hi Cuzza,
No experience in cutting back real hard. I have only cut these back to a live branch and pulled it up to be new leader. If you are lucky enough to find a big nursery Totara WITH a low branch then that would be my safest option as these are real slow growers and slow to get any girth. I might put a couple in that ground for 7-10 years and see if that gives a better result.
Hey, if you have found a cheap nursery tree, you could chop low and tell us your result. Or go bush and try a decent tree.
Charles

Cuzza

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Down here we have a tendency to shorten names into nicknames so this is shortened for my last name, Curran. Lile bazza and gazza for Gary and Barry 👌

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Anyone tried growing Pittosporums- evergreen, shiny small leaves and lots of different leaf colours cultivars ?!

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
New Zealand has so many potential bonsai species!!
Some of these are on my to-try list when I have time and space!
Hebe
Coprosma
Lophomyrtus
Hoheria
Olearia

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
like Tea trees and a southern rata.

Tea trees should go well, I can't keep L. scoparium alive. Just ordered a L. lanigerum though.

@Starfox unsure if Kauri would be very suitable as bonsai it seems shed all its lower branches as far as I'm aware and has pretty big leaves maybe I might try one.
@Starfox, yes I am tempted very much to try Kauri ( Agathis australis), and my guess is they would do a big bonsai well. I am going to try some cuttings around Xmas if I remember as I get the adult foliage straight away. And the 1000 year old tree thing is way cool.

If redwoods can be used then Kauri's are surely a possibility, maybe not though. There are a couple of other Agathis that may be more foregiving from tropical regions. If you guys do try one out I'm interested in following it.

Wollemi pine bonsai ?

Tree number 15 in this thread. https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27020&p=266923&hilit=wollemi#p266923

Also here is likely most of the bonsaible knowledge on them. https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/search.php?keywords=wollemi

Also, also, thanks for reminding me. Planfor in France have them in stock and I just hit the button. Bit pricey but if I can strike cuttings then all good.
If you want one now is the time because I have been waiting 2 years for them to be in stock.

Last edited:

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Cuzza,
No experience in cutting back real hard. I have only cut these back to a live branch and pulled it up to be new leader. If you are lucky enough to find a big nursery Totara WITH a low branch then that would be my safest option as these are real slow growers and slow to get any girth. I might put a couple in that ground for 7-10 years and see if that gives a better result.
Hey, if you have found a cheap nursery tree, you could chop low and tell us your result. Or go bush and try a decent tree.
Charles
Gotcha, tis same in Oz

SpOoNzL

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Starfox saw this video on tea trees last week found it quite useful.

It seems they need a really organic mix and to be put into a shallow tray of water over summer if your summers hot (probley zone 8+ would need this care).

Top Bottom