Soil Content for Elms.

RileyJFDB13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello all just curious what is your soil content you use for your elms more specifically chinese elms? Sping is already here in Southern California and I want to make sure I get all my elms into propper mix for the coming season.

Ive heard the the go to for my area is the boon mix whoch is 1:1:1 with akadama pumice and lava. Just wondering what the truth is to this being that there are many differences from junipers to oaks pines elms ect and it sounds fishy the mix would work well for all.

Thanks!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use the Keppler mix which is 1:1:1 with akadama pumice and lava.

The Naka mix is 1:1:1 with akadama pumice and lava.

Hirao used 1:1:1 with akadama pumice and lava.

You could use the Van Fleet mix which is 1:1:1 with akadama pumice and lava.

Or the Barto mix which is 1:1:1 with akadama pumice and lava.

Or the Thieme mix which has been around since 1962 and is 1:1:1 with akadama pumice and lava.

I think God used a mix of 1:1:1 with akadama pumice and lava.....I can't be sure about this though......

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seriously though....I see elms sprouting in sidewalk cracks all around town. I would check with the city people and simulate that environment as it seems to work well.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use the Keppler mix which is 1:1:1 with akadama pumice and lava.

The Naka mix is 1:1:1 with akadama pumice and lava.

Hirao used 1:1:1 with akadama pumice and lava.

You could use the Van Fleet mix which is 1:1:1 with akadama pumice and lava.

Or the Barto mix which is 1:1:1 with akadama pumice and lava.

Or the Thieme mix which has been around since 1962 and is 1:1:1 with akadama pumice and lava.

I think God used a mix of 1:1:1 with akadama pumice and lava.....I can't be sure about this though......

This is complete Bullshit cuz at least one of those people use Pumice, Lava and Akadama.

Sorce

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
elms are not picking and have a few american elms and they have gorwn in pretty much everything. Right now I'm using akadama, pummice,lava and some compost - little more organic and water retentive and it goes 17 feet a year

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We have Chinese, Winged, American, and Lacebark growing out in a mix of mixes from old plants/plantings. No telling what is exactly in any and they all grow insanely good. The larger ones have grown roots through the bottom and anchored themselves to the ground, some growing 4 foot in one year...

Here they do best with a good amount of Sun, Water, and wind protection in the Winter. Also probably the least fertilized trees we have.

Elms are tough, at least here.

Grimmy

Top Bottom