Soil Drainage - Need Help

BigBallerBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey all,

I’ve found that the brown spots on my Chinese elm are likely due do the soil holding too much water. How can you check soil drainage and quality?

Thanks!

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Whats the tree in at the moment? I'm betting organic?
If you have true soil... like dirt... then its most likely retaining too much water. If you water one day and its just as wet the next... that's one way to tell.
For Elms I use 3/16" to 1/8" pieces of 40%pumice and 40%lava as in-organics and about 20% fine pine bark (orchid bark) as an organic element to help with water retention. You may not need the bark in NY.
Water free flows out the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot.

BigBallerBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I’m not sure what it’s in currently. I bought it online from eastern leaf. Is there a way to tell? Also are there any tests I can do to see if it’s drainage or airation are good?

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m not sure what it’s in currently. I bought it online from eastern leaf. Is there a way to tell? Also are there any tests I can do to see if it’s drainage or airation are good?

Here is a resource on how to water, with a chopstick method determining soil moisture.

Also post pics of soil surface and leaves with spots. If they are small black spots, it could be fungal. Search online for Chinese Elm Anthracnose for images.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These plants are often grown in a clay-like soil. That's fine if they are in the ground but in a pot that doesn't drain enough.
Therefore most people use inorganic soils that retain water but drain well. You could fill books with the preference of different people.
This depends on what's available, local climate, watering regime and tree species.

So as Hemmy wrote, please post a photo of the spots and the soil.

BigBallerBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey All,

Here are pictures of the leaves and soil to help. Please let me know, thanks!

Attachments

• 4D7E846F-633A-4C8E-B9B5-78049559A903.jpeg
    4D7E846F-633A-4C8E-B9B5-78049559A903.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 618DC533-0C3D-479E-9D2B-E52CE5D6BC2C.jpeg
    618DC533-0C3D-479E-9D2B-E52CE5D6BC2C.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 12676B7D-91A0-4A03-9174-C8EF67550AE6.jpeg
    12676B7D-91A0-4A03-9174-C8EF67550AE6.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 68

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Definitely predominantly organic soil. It’ll “hug” the moisture quite effectively... in a large number of cases, TOO effectively...

If drainage is the question, that soil/substrate would fall on the “slower draining” end of the spectrum.

I do not own one of these trees, so I cannot speak to the specifics of the leaf “spots”

I also do not know(because I don’t have a “friend” of this specie) traditionally, what exact soil needs this tree has, but I’m guessing a free-er draining medium would improve his/her health REGARDLESS of the “leaf spot culprit”

Not much help, I know. My apologies. :)

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the long term, repot in proper soil. But for now watering less should help.
You can also make some holes in the soil with a chopstick to let air in, but don't damage the roots too much.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Agree with all the above advice. It looks like it was recently repotted with organic potting compost.
I suggest you check the drainage hole isnt blocked, and dont water as often!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’ve found that the brown spots on my Chinese elm are likely due do the soil holding too much water.

You didn't mention where you are keeping your tree. It is more common to have leaf problems when a tree is being kept indoors. The lighting is usually not as bright, there is no wind, leaves stay wet longer, etc.

BigBallerBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I keep the tree outside during the day and inside at night. The drainage hole currently has dirt in it. Is that considered a blocked hole or is dirt supposed to be there?

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I would start leaving outside... you temps are warm enough.
You have mostly dirt in the pot so dirt will clog up the drainage. This is another reason to use inorganics.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You do not want to repot now so changing the soil is hard. What I've done in the past is lift a plant like this from the soil and add a thin layer of something that drains well in the pot and put the plant on top. I used kittydama but you can use anything that drains well. This way the water can leave the dirt over a much larger area and easily flow to the hole. This doesn't disturb the roots and can be done now.

Cobra

Seedling
Reaction score
Would regular lolly pop sticks work using the chopstick method? Watering is one thing I'm in the process of mastering as a beginner.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’m totally going to get crap for this but...if it were my tree...unless it’s become considerably worse In the last few days..... I would hate to leave in the current soil...repot it. It’s an elm... it’s still early and soil is to water retentive. Or water less and wait for it to get healthier and do it then.
I just did repotted a yellow leafed America Elm I got on EBay (don’t judge)... dropped it’s leaves and Is now budding.
If you do repot aftercare is essential for the following few weeks..... let the nut house know and can walk you through aftercare but
if you decide to wait it will probably be fine however... water with kit gloves. Elms are tough but love to get root rot.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What you might ...TRY... is...

Don't water for a few days to get the soil as flaky as possible.
HOPE you have wired the tree in FIRMLY to the pot.
Turn the whole shebang upside down and shake it. Hopefully a bunch of "wrong" shit will fall out.
Be gentle. Don't whack the pot of slop.
Watch the fallout. Tap a bit if you want.
Sort of a "repotquake."
Then add better soil or mix or whatever into the space left by the absorptive stuff.
Sprinkle a BIT of ....good.... potting soil on any roots made visible by the shake. Just to fool them into thinking that OH BOY I HAVE SOME STUFF TO GROW INTO!

I know repotting isn't good at wrong times but sometimes pots get broken.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hate rereading my posts and finding typos 😜 .... "WATER WITH KID GLOVES" ! You can just use gloves... you don't need a kit.

Top Bottom