soil for abused elm

phil_sheridan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi everyone,
I posted previously about my abused ulmus, the general consensus was that I needed to rest it, and winter it out of the house. Well, I left it outside this fall, and it was about the last thing outside to lose its leaves! It is out now, buried in leaves and mulch, the nights have been seasonably cold,but nothing approaching any records, or for that matter, it hasn't really been average cold, but that seems the new norm. Anyway, last year the native elms put out pollen buds in late February, and were leafed out by April. We had a very warm winter and spring, this year is not much different yet. The second problem identified in my previous post was potting soil. So now the questions.
  1. What type of soil would be a good choice for an elm?
  2. Any suggestions for reputable sources for the soil?
  3. When would be a good repotting time, can I use the native elms as cue? for example, repot when the elms show pollen buds?
Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated.
Phil

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Any well draining bonsai mix will work. The actual mix depends on what's available in your area. This thread should give you some ideashttp://bonsainut.com/forums/showthr...local-items&highlight=bonsai+soil+ingredients
As to when let your tree tell you not native one's in the ground. Right as the buds are just starting to swell is a good time as long as you can protect it from any late freezes.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What Bob said on both counts.

Elm is not too particular about soil so any bonsai mix should work.

Note that your potted plant's micro climate is not the same as those on the ground. Here, the potted plants seem to start at least 2-4 weeks sooner. If you wait for the sign from those in ground...it might be already too late. Compound that with individual tree differences so it really is best to let the particular plant tell you.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In my experience, elms do very good in gritty/sandy "soil" with about 5% coarse organic matter, planted in a medium or deep container. The particular mix I use is 25% Turface, 35% scoria, 35% coarse sand, and 5% pine bark. If your plant is in development and you don't care what the soil looks like, you can substitute pumice for Turface. This grittier mix minimizes the formation of fleshy roots, which are generally problematic (require more water, easily damaged, seemingly more disease prone). If you're not making your own soil, I'd recommend getting a "conifer mix" (which shouldn't have organic matter) and adding 5% organic media.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
From the Turface website
http://www.turface.com/distributors/state/

you can pick up turface from these sources

GRASS PAD, INC.
Bonner Springs
(913) 422-4433
www.grasspad.com
Bucyrus
(913) 681-8948
www.grasspad.com
Olathe
(913) 764-4100
www.grasspad.com

EWING IRRIGATION
Serving multiple locations. Contact us for a location near you.
(800) 343-9464
www.ewing1.com

JOHN DEERE LANDSCAPE
Serving multiple locations. Contact us for a location near you.
(800) 347-4272
www.johndeerelandscapes.com/home/locations.aspx

REINDERS INC.
Olathe
(816) 225-7235

SUPREME TURF PRODUCTS, INC.
Olathe
(913) 208-5268
www.supremeturfproducts.com/

BWI COMPANIES, INC.
Lenexa
(913) 859-9009
www.bwicompanies.com

HUMMERT INTERNATIONAL
Topeka
(800) 798-2799
www.hummert.com

By the way, Hummert is where I get most of my pesticides and other garden chemicals, good service, good selection, ok as far as prices go.

phil_sheridan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking for dirt!

Thanks for all the replies. Looked at the thread link on soil, starting to look for suppliers. Probably not going to roll-my-own this time, I just hope to salvage my one lonely tree.
Phil

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You can also try commerically available cactus mix if you only have one tree and don't want to make your own.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You can also try commerically available cactus mix if you only have one tree and don't want to make your own.

Apparently, not all cactus mix are equal. I got some about a year ago and it was made of fine sand (forgot the brand). I will never use it on my bonsai. Just FYI so you may choose better.

Bob, any brand you can recommend?

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Apparently, not all cactus mix are equal. I got some about a year ago and it was made of fine sand (forgot the brand). I will never use it on my bonsai. Just FYI so you may choose better.

Bob, any brand you can recommend?

They're kind of regional. Try to find one with the largest particles you can. Even if it's fine though it'll work better then any potting soil. It's not bonsai mix but it'll do for just one tree.
You could always add some pumice or perlite which should be easy to find in small quanities most places.

Top Bottom