SOIL FOR ROCKY MOUNTAIN JUNIPER?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This afternoon one of my students brought in his Rocky Mountain juniper.

Within a few minutes the entire studio smelled like cat pee! It was too cold for him to go outside to work, so I looked for a can of Glade air freshener.

Would a soil mix of scented or deodorized kitty litter help with the aroma?

Bill

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can't escape the odor when I've got my big rmj in the back of my minivan...I think Walter pall likened it to "cougar piss". I'm not sure if it's an accurate comparison, but I do know that I love the odor.

I love it too. In the cliffy collecting zones I often have to crawl right though big rmj bushes, too steep to go around. I always thought that crushed needle smell on my clothes was nice. If someone sprayed Glade on me... urg, that would be sickening.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never helped my gram-gram....that trailer smelled like "kitty make pee-pee" until the day she died.:(
Your not serious, are you?

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
plants enjoy activated charcoal for health...it also has the benefit of removing impurities and I use something similar in the chemistry lab for stinky chemicals

Let me know if you try to add some to the soil and if it works!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
A buddy and I collected some RMJ out in SD a few years ago, and he was bringing them from IA to AL. The tall extra-smelly one only fit in the cab with him, and about 15 minutes into his 12 hour drive, he realized he was terribly allergic...eyes swelling shut, couldn't breathe, etc. He pulled off and bought Claritin and trash bags. Wrapped the tree in black trash bags, dosed up, and made it on down, with only the occasional strange look from people passing by who must have thought he had a stiff wrapped up in black plastic in the passager seat.

I understand the cat pee comparison, but actually don't mind the smell of the RMJ foliage at all. It's far more pleasant than cleaning up after a tenant who had a cat or two...that's when you want a body bag!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 60

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would a soil mix of scented or deodorized kitty litter help with the aroma?
Maybe hang a little tree car air fresher in it.
Kitty litter may keep your roots smelling clean and fresh as a spring morning but I don't think it would suck the smell out of the foliage.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice - now just slap the new label on, ship a case to Bill and watch the huge bonsai profits start to roll in. I like that you switched it so that amateurs can use it - didn't catch that at first glance.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If only it was called "piss off" then it might work for that application too.
Scott, you're in rare form!

We had a pretty good frost last night! Dadgumit, killed all my Ume blossoms! I'm especially sad about the yellow ones... Hardly ever see those!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Scott, you're in rare form!

We had a pretty good frost last night! Dadgumit, killed all my Ume blossoms! I'm especially sad about the yellow ones... Hardly ever see those!

If it was 40 degrees cooler, we might have had a frost too. Bummer about the Ume blossoms Adair.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This afternoon one of my students brought in his Rocky Mountain juniper.

Within a few minutes the entire studio smelled like cat pee!

Hmm, don't you have a cat or two roaming around the studio? How can you be sure it was the tree?

Top Bottom