Soil mix for growth in a "regular" pot?

Bayard

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi!

I got a question regarding soil mix when letting the trees grow in a bigger, regular pot for growth. Thinking about letting my Zelkova and Brush cherry just grow this season. Do I "need" a bonsaimix or could I go with just plain potting soil for this purpose?

spontaneously I think that normal potting soil does the work, but I´m here to learn so that´s why I´m asking you guys.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Whether or not you believe regular potting soil will do the trick, this is a good time to start experimenting with substrate mixes - because you will have to discover your preferred mix at some point.

I’ve found that learning about substrate with the plants I’m ‘growing out’ has translated to better preparation for my potted material.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You can use potting soil. I don’t. I do feel like a bonsai soil mix of some kind let’s you fertilize more aggressively while in a nursery can. Though not an expert on that. One thing to consider is that a nursery can is designed to drain water much better than say a wide and shallow bonsai pot. Because it it’s taller than it is wide, gravity acts on the water in the soil differently (Overpowers the cohesion of water more). So if you use a bonsai mix of some kind it wouldn’t hurt to up the water holding component of the soil.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Basically because of the draining capability of the shape of a nursery can potting mix works fine, (also explains why potting mix in a shallow bonsai pot is a disaster). If you were to put a conifer into a nursery can though I would definitely use a bonsai mix.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I use a mix of used turface based bonsai soil mixed with soil conditioner... granular, well draining and promotes lots of good root and canopy growth.

I do the exact same. Turface price is on par with potting soil anyhow.

Your particular mix will be climate dependent.

Bayard

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can use potting soil. I don’t. I do feel like a bonsai soil mix of some kind let’s you fertilize more aggressively while in a nursery can. Though not an expert on that. One thing to consider is that a nursery can is designed to drain water much better than say a wide and shallow bonsai pot. Because it it’s taller than it is wide, gravity acts on the water in the soil differently (Overpowers the cohesion of water more). So if you use a bonsai mix of some kind it wouldn’t hurt to up the water holding component of the soil.

Thanks for a easily understood explanation wich made totally sense in my head tbh =)

And as Captain.Bonsai wrote, I will try different mixes on other trees aswell to learn what works best in my climate and environment.

Thanks guys.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
50/50 potting soil/perlite has worked well for me in nursery pots for my growing out stuff and it's pretty cheap. I've actually done 75/25 perlite/potting soil, you just have to keep up on the watering, but it still isn't as needy as bonsai soil.

Just have to learn to water correctly while the plant is getting established. Yes the perlite will float, but if you water slowly it isn't too bad. After the roots have colonized the pot, the perlite doesn't float (except the surface, that will always stay pretty loose). The perlite in the soil column stays in place pretty well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
50/50 potting soil/perlite has worked well for me in nursery pots for my growing out stuff and it's pretty cheap.

This reminds me: It’s common for nurseries to use fir or pine bark with perlite combinations (50/50-ish).

See this article (and all of the others) from evergreen garden works. Specific section “mixes vary with container size and species”.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The danger with potting soil is that it can stay very wet for too long and promote root rot.
Sometimes cheaper is not better.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Potting soil sucks, plain and simple. Not even the plants and trees you buy in a nursery use pottingsoil. They at least use some kind of bark or something to break up and create drainage. I use something @Dav4. turface, pumice and soil conditioner. Mostly pumice.
I saw a demonstration by Andrew Robson not long ago and he said he uses pumice and manure 80/20 for growing out. I tried something like that this month and it didn’t work for me. Held way to much water and didn’t drain well.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use everything everywhere. Its how I learn what works for me. But a standard for growing in a nursery pot for me is pro mix and pine fines. Last couple years I have been using turface in many of these mixes too. You just need to see what works for you.
I might add that a lot of what I do depends on the plant. This is the way I have been doing it for over 40 years. Just pay attention to what you are doing with what and where.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yep... I use the same soilless substrate in my training pots that I use in my bonsai pots(lava, pumice, bark)... sometimes I'll cut out the extra moisture retentive ingredient depending on the depth of the trainer. I'm a notorious over waterer.... regular soil would prove deadly to my trees.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For growing out big pots, Anderson flats, boxes etc I use pumice/lava/bark.

Save the akadama for refinement in bonsai pots.

In all fairness however, lava and pumice are dirt cheap here in PNW

Top Bottom