Soil Mix for POTTED (non bonsai) Japanese Maples?

AutumnWolf13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have some dwarf Japanese Maples in 2-3 gallon pots that ARE NOT going to become bonsai. I'm not looking to "grow them out" as the dwarfs take much too long to develop and I like them in their regular pots. I'm starting a bunch of tridents in a garden bed for bonsai.

What soil would you recommend for plain old potted JM's? I don't want to use Akadama because it's too costly for several big pots and it breaks down in a few years. I don't want to use potting mix because it is too water retentive breaks down too fast. I don't want to have to repot them every year.

They have been in in 33% Pine Bark, 33%Grani-grit, 33% Turface for the last 3-5 years, but will need repotted in spring. Any suggestions?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
What problems are you trying to resolve with your current mix?

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have some dwarf Japanese Maples in 2-3 gallon pots that ARE NOT going to become bonsai. I'm not looking to "grow them out" as the dwarfs take much too long to develop and I like them in their regular pots. I'm starting a bunch of tridents in a garden bed for bonsai.

What soil would you recommend for plain old potted JM's? I don't want to use Akadama because it's too costly for several big pots and it breaks down in a few years. I don't want to use potting mix because it is too water retentive breaks down too fast. I don't want to have to repot them every year.

They have been in in 33% Pine Bark, 33%Grani-grit, 33% Turface for the last 3-5 years, but will need repotted in spring. Any suggestions?
For my Japanese Maples in pots, I often just use Pine Bark and nothing else. Something like Natures Helper or comparable.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For my Japanese Maples in pots, I often just use Pine Bark and nothing else.
Ditto, though I sometimes throw in some garden dirt (less than an equal amount), just so I don't have to do a lot of extra stuff to stabilize the roots.

Every 2 or 3 years, I cut around the perimeter with a keyhole saw, dig out the perimeter and back fill with a bit of that dirt in new bark. With small stuff, I knock off pot and, otherwise, do the same procedure.

Top Bottom