Soil mix on a budget

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it's kind of reckless to recommend that a newbie go around repotting trees when it's 95 degrees (or 94) out, even if it can be done.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I have had endless problems repotting in the spring because of MY climate--and how it is changing. Late spring freezes and frost, even with a greenhouse, sucks and gives me endless fits. I don't have the ability to provide bottom heat and a perfectly heated GH. Freshly repotted trees(over 50 this spring) may have to endure weeks of cold weather some years but this never happened like it does now. I am definitely on board for repotting late summer here. The only thing I watch out for is mid august dry spells--then its shade and misting--which I can do and make sure they ease into fall without an early freeze. I think a bonzo pro just recently blogged up about summer repotting he use to do in Japan--the guy with the perfect hair and does the pixelated tree styling. Also doesn't that old crank Mugo guy promotes summer repotting?

Last edited:

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't forget; Napa is an auto-mechanic supply house.
Go to your mechanic, ask him to call and get a price quote
on 8822. You will be SO surprised at the price difference.
Get him to order it for you; they will deliver, next day pick
it up back at his shop.

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here is one more soil link for you. It is linking weird so you will have to copy the full address to your browser:
"http://www.bonsailearningcenter.com/IMAGES/PDF Files/Soils.pdf"

Expanded shale and perlite are pretty cheap. I add a bit of both to stretch my limited supply of good soil. The expanded shale also looks decent as a top covering.

Good luck.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
IAlso doesn't that old crank Mugo guy promotes summer repotting?

He does for mugo which I agree and also advocate for. He also says the same for scots pines. He does not say it applies to all pines.
Ive had success repotting mugo in both spring and summer, but I mostly repot them in the summer. Ive had excellent success repotting scots in the early spring. Ive never done one in the summer.
Other extremely experienced people (Telperion Farms, Mark Comstock etc) have repotted mugo and scots in the spring.

This is the key to your post:
crust said:
MY climate
What works for you in your area may not work for someone in another area with different weather conditions.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...In any case I still dont feel telling a newbie its OK to repot a conifer in summer (with the exception of mugo) under any condition is good advice for a beginner.
... ...
He does for mugo which I agree and also advocate for. He also says the same for scots pines. He does not say it applies to all pines.... ...This is the key to your post:
What works for you in your area may not work for someone in another area with different weather conditions.
Or almost the same conditions, may I add.
I have had a long consultation with Mr. V. Wood here on BN regarding mugo pine repotting in July. I have described my Mediterranean climate conditions during July (let alone August) and his opinion was that I can safely try a summer first repotting of a nursery mugo pine.
Definitely I am not in-experienced but I can say I am neither a deeply experienced bonsai cultivator. I tried the repotting just for the sake of the experiment despite my (and other Greek fellow bonsaists) doubts. The tree died of course! A foretold death no matter all the aftercare...
Bottom line : What Paradox said above with a slight modification, "what works for one's area may not work for someone's else's area even with similar conditions".

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Or almost the same conditions, may I add.
I have had a long consultation with Mr. V. Wood here on BN regarding mugo pine repotting in July. I have described my Mediterranean climate conditions during July (let alone August) and his opinion was that I can safely try a summer first repotting of a nursery mugo pine.
Definitely I am not in-experienced but I can say I am neither a deeply experienced bonsai cultivator. I tried the repotting just for the sake of the experiment despite my (and other Greek fellow bonsaists) doubts. The tree died of course! A foretold death no matter all the aftercare...
Bottom line : What Paradox said above with a slight modification, "what works for one's area may not work for someone's else's area even with similar conditions".
...Quoting this for @RickMartin

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Tree is dead i will know better next time if there is a next time

Rick
Rick, doing my best, that is why I quoted this... You mentioned some of your club mates could keep mugo pines in your climate. You know the time leg, maybe there is sth like temperature leg. I mean repotting in May/June, or spring repotting in SA.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also doesn't that old crank Mugo guy promotes summer repotting?
For mugo pines and scots pines ,yes.
I include junipers and hinoki cypress.
And maybe jack pines. Not sure about those yet but I got a feeling.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Rick, doing my best, that is why I quoted this... You mentioned some of your club mates could keep mugo pines in your climate. You know the time leg, maybe there is sth like temperature leg. I mean repotting in May/June, or spring repotting in SA.
There was a lot of variables with the tree, moving it from michigan to here, not acculimating properly(possibilly a shade cloth). I do think and this is just my opinion if i would have waited one more year to repot, i would still have the tree. Just mistakes i made that i wont make again. Im going to talk to my club members on when they repot their mugos down here.

Rick

Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I'm probably getting some nursery stock tomorrow. Either Azalea or juniper and not sure if I should prude it back when I get it or let it go for a while. Will post what I get

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Honestly Rick,I wouldn't mess with another until I was in a better climate for them.
If I was where you are I would be doing up JBP. Bunches.
I have 3 JBP's growing out right now. I got them from a nursery here that kinda cators some to bonsai so they are already acculimated to this climate. I will be picking up another one on friday.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Depends on what you get but i would let it grow a year.

Rick

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you suggest for a sifter? I could probably get one at Wal-Mart or something like that?
Never malwart! Contact Jonas Dupuich/Bonsai tonite for these. Got a great set of 3 from him this winter/spring and really made life easier. Sifted everything in sight was so much fun:p.

Top Bottom