Soil mix recommendations for trident maple and Juniper Procumbens Nana

Jhervi

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hows everybody doing today?

I am looking for soil recommendations for my trident maple(1-2 years old) and juniper Procumbens Nana(1-2 years old). Both trees are currently in bonsai pots but I plan to put them in large planting pots/containers or wood planting boxes to drive growth for the trunks and roots. I can't plant in the ground since I don't have a place in the yard since I am renting. I am not planning on doing a full transplant/repot like pruning roots, but rather pull em out of the bonsai pots, soil and all, and just plant/ put them in larger pots/containers for the time being.

I live in zone 9b of sonoma County CA, and there is still plenty of time to drive growth untill fall.

What types of soil mixes would be a good option for this? What are the ratios?

Just wanted to find out differnt options and what I can find locally.

Thanks for all the input as usual, I am very new to this so still learning these things.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my larger pots I use 5 parts composted bark nuggets (sifted 3-6mm)...1 part pumice (sifted 3-6mm)... 1 part peat moss.

Malix

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If you are not disturbing roots I’d likely do pure pumice or bark/pumice mix. The bigger the pot you are moving them into the more pumice heavy the mix Then if things are growing strong I might consider a more thorough repot next spring If the original soil needs replacing.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also very important. Don't pot them into a to big pot to start off with. Do what nurseries do...pot up gradually. Much better growth is achieved that way.

Top Bottom