Soil Question - Buxus Bonsai

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
im still learning and I know I have a lot to learn. last week i repotted my Buxus Bonsai as it was really unhappy, really pot bound and still in nursery soil.
question I had is around the soil. I bought some "Bonsai Soil" from a garden centre which said contains Kyodama. I can see the grains. I have since found a soil mix on ebay from a bonsai shop which is 1/3 John Innes, 1/3 Akadama and 1/3 Kyodama and looks a better structure (I welcome comments on this mix by the way).

Is my box in the soil I put it in? it feels quite dense when watered and the tree didnt need anchor wires which surprised me. I didnt want to go changing the soil again so quickly unless i was putting the tree at risk

20180429_080706.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is my box in the soil I put it in?
Only you would know that.
I wouldn't change the soil this year again.
It's better to ask a question before you do something.
Not after.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Haha u have no idea what I was trying to say. John innes is just good soil compost in the UK.

Think basically the question is, does that soil look ok, if it's not shall I leave be this season or change now before the roots take hold?

I know it's better to ask questions before but I'm still learning, I thought I was doing right at the time now I'm second guessing myself

Last edited:

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looks a little water retentive to me.
I like pumice and lava, with no organic stuff...
This is what I thought. As it was 7 days ago is it a good idea to remove the soil before it properly takes root or just leave be and manage it knowing the soil is water retentive?

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
they-dont-think-it-be-like-it-is-but-it-do.jpg

EPM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If John Innes compost is anything like the potting soil or "compost" available in the U.S. then my opinion is you will want to move to a different soil mix next time you repot. From looking at the picture it looks too dense and not as free draining as would be ideal. Again, this is my opinion. As others have suggested you should probably not mess with it again and let the plant recover but you should be careful not to overwater it. There are lots of good resources available both on this site and others to learn about soil for bonsai. Generally from what I've seen on this site and elsewhere people tend to avoid putting compost, potting soil or anything like it in their soil mixes particularly if it is fine grained.

Hi,
im still learning and I know I have a lot to learn. last week i repotted my Buxus Bonsai as it was really unhappy, really pot bound and still in nursery soil.
question I had is around the soil. I bought some "Bonsai Soil" from a garden centre which said contains Kyodama. I can see the grains. I have since found a soil mix on ebay from a bonsai shop which is 1/3 John Innes, 1/3 Akadama and 1/3 Kyodama and looks a better structure (I welcome comments on this mix by the way).

Is my box in the soil I put it in? it feels quite dense when watered and the tree didnt need anchor wires which surprised me. I didnt want to go changing the soil again so quickly unless i was putting the tree at risk

View attachment 189551

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If it hasn't started growing yet, but has buds swelling, definitely can repot safely...
If it already has new foliage, I'd just be careful not to over water it this year...
I only have one boxwood, and I'll say that I think they don't like lots of root removal.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ok thank u. It's a bit of an unhappy tree. It was massively root bound so I think I'll carefully remove and sending if I can get it on a bed of my better 3:3:3 soil.
I have removed a lot of roots in it but the buds have not started yet.

I'll post the results for the next poor sod in my situation who finds this thread via Google. Thank u for the advice :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i repotted my Buxus Bonsai as it was really unhappy,

Was it dying? If it wasn't dying it wasn't unhappy. (The buds werent moving yet, we cant know this.)

Here....Nursery soil looks better than that "bonsai soil".

I mean no offense....but your actions have been based completely on "Bullshit people say to do" rather than observation and proper care.

But here....Welcome to Crazy!...
You will learn how to assess...
And make proper moves, at proper times.

I just had a dude take a dug box out of a plastic bucket of mud...
I might suggest the same for you and this box.

Wether or not you do it can only be decided by you and your knowledge of balanceing these 2 things....

The likelihood of it surviving in there for a year or more before a repot, in which time it may decline.

And the liklihood of it surviving another repot right now.

Sounds like a looser mix is sure the way to go....since it is still dormant.

But I would totally remove a shitload of top too....unless you have already....

This balance of top and bottom with box is very real.

More full pics!

Sorce

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If John Innes compost is anything like the potting soil or "compost" available in the U.S. then my opinion is you will want to move to a different soil mix next time you repot. From looking at the picture it looks too dense and not as free draining as would be ideal. Again, this is my opinion. As others have suggested you should probably not mess with it again and let the plant recover but you should be careful not to overwater it. There are lots of good resources available both on this site and others to learn about soil for bonsai. Generally from what I've seen on this site and elsewhere people tend to avoid putting compost, potting soil or anything like it in their soil mixes particularly if it is fine grained.

This is the soil I've been using ebay soil

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Was it dying? If it wasn't dying it wasn't unhappy. (The buds werent moving yet, we cant know this.)

Here....Nursery soil looks better than that "bonsai soil".

I mean no offense....but your actions have been based completely on "Bullshit people say to do" rather than observation and proper care.

But here....Welcome to Crazy!...
You will learn how to assess...
And make proper moves, at proper times.

I just had a dude take a dug box out of a plastic bucket of mud...
I might suggest the same for you and this box.

Wether or not you do it can only be decided by you and your knowledge of balanceing these 2 things....

The likelihood of it surviving in there for a year or more before a repot, in which time it may decline.

And the liklihood of it surviving another repot right now.

Sounds like a looser mix is sure the way to go....since it is still dormant.

But I would totally remove a shitload of top too....unless you have already....

This balance of top and bottom with box is very real.

More full pics!

Sorce
it had scale, i was keeping it inside all year (my mistake) and it was a generally unhappy tree. i moved it outside and repotted it. im still learning and i know i have a lot of learn. I've realised that maybe this soil wasnt best and i wish i hadnt trusted the garden centre! A mistake i wont make again!! the fact i didnt have to anchor the tree was the warning flag to me as my learning has been progressing. im happy to be told im an idiot and where ive gone wrong its how i learn :)

20180429_150045.jpg20180429_150055.jpg20180429_150103.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
im an idiot

Can't do that cuz I have listened to BS advice for 7 years and have been repeatedly killing everything!

I will say everyone else who spreads that Bullshit like gospel, without knowing all the facts(which is absolutely impossible)is an idiot though!

It does look a little unhealthy....but it also looks healthy enough to repot now.

For me, I'd risk the repot...

But there is still missing information.

Your personal finances included.
Pics of roots removed? %?
% of roots removed in promotion to % of top removed?

Scale for sure? Is it all gone?

Can you remove any yellowing shit that is drawing more energy than it will ever create...?

Sorce

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
ok actions i took
1) trimmed upper branches, no new buds this season - 4 weeks ago
2) move outside as i discovered it needed to be
3) 1 week ago first repot and trimmed a lot of the roots there was basically no soil left maybe 60% of the roots. looked healthy.

Scale is still present but i am actively removing and spraying.

My Plan
-risk repotting - remove the crap i put the poor thing in report in THIS
-remove the yellowing / dead leaves
- no further trimming (trying not to stress it too much)
-leave to settle, keeping outside

sound like a plan?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The black shot in that soil scares me a bit....

Peep this...http://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm

I have all the confidence in these suggested products. And have mad respect for Harry for this resource.

But that soil looks way better....

I would sift out fines less than 2mm.

As far as the scale goes.....
Until it is eradicated....
A good gauge of health, which is utterly neccesary...
Is impossible to achieve.

Mechanical removal is the MOST effective method, and gives you excellent intimate time with your tree....You will learn much scouring it head to toe, branch by branch, leaf by leaf.

Centipedes in the soil take care of the eggs and crawler stages.

Spraying can be avoided, which also clears your path to a good gauge of health...
As it removes many questions.

Sounds like an excellent plan....
Even if it doesn't work....
None of it will really have been your fault ..
And you will have learned a great deal.

But I feel survival is 85% certain.....just sift them fines out. And water EVERYDAY AND EVEN TWICE A DAY OR MORE!

Sorce

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@sorce thank you for all the advice. honestly im struggling with the soil thing, i seem to read something different everywhere. I dont mind paying for good soil but i dont want to waste my money on the wrong stuff. Ive done the report, took me about an hour.
old crap removed - glad i did this it was like mush!
20180429_154545.jpg
The root system vs the tree
20180429_154819.jpg
in the pot
20180429_155633.jpg20180429_155637.jpg
removed some of the yellowing leaves and as much scale as i could find
20180429_160438.jpg

im still not 100% on this soil. while i was outside i adjusted the anchor on another tree which has been in the same soil for a few days and it seems to be a bit wet still. It hasnt rained today but its been damp. im just wondering if i try and do my own mix, something like 50% Akadama, 25% Pumice, 25% Lava rock and do away with any organic....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
still not 100% on this soil. w

Oh you don't need to be! Its way better!
But Do Get 100 eventually!

I really feel you got an excellent chance of continued health now...great photos.

Seems heavy flooding can improve your soil by flushing them fines out....
Netting over the top to hold in the big particles and upside down watering through the drainage holes can help....
Or super flooding them out the top.
I have done this But it is stupid and likely unnecessary...

I think you're in a safe place to keep it pretty well shaded and just observe....
Which...may be full "sun" for you there?

You got this.

Sorce

Top Bottom