Soil question for people who live in zone 7a.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I know this question has been beat to death and there is no right or wrong answer. I am looking to change up my soil this spring as I have only used straight pumice for the last 3 years and I'm curious as to what others are mixing in my zone.

Help or ideas would be great!
Thanks
Kevin

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I know this question has been beat to death and there is no right or wrong answer. I am looking to change up my soil this spring as I have only used straight pumice for the last 3 years and I'm curious as to what others are mixing in my zone.

Help or ideas would be great!
Thanks
Kevin

You'll get 50 different answers here. For deciduous trees I use 1 part pumice, 1 part lava, 2 parts akadama, and a bit of charcoal. For Pines/Junipers I use 1 part pumice, 1 part lava, 1 part half kiryu which is river sand and half gran-i-grit, 1 part akadama, and a bit of charchoal. For Shohin trees I do the same but I use 2-3mm particles. I use a drainage layer of pumice and granite, used to just use straight pumice for drainage but since I still had a water table when the pots were tipped i'm trying something different this year and added granite to it. For trees in training i'm using sifted turface in place of akadama this year as well. We'll see how that goes.

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
im using grani grit, lava perlite turface and for deciduous add some pine bark
where are you getting your pumice from ?? sometimes a touch of charcoal if i got it
p

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
i use gran-i-grit, pine bark fines, and calcined clay (turface or oil dry whichever is available.) I actually have been looking for pumice in the area but couldn't find any. Where were you able to locate it? What part of Delaware are you in?

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You'll get 50 different answers here. For deciduous trees I use 1 part pumice, 1 part lava, 2 parts akadama, and a bit of charcoal. For Pines/Junipers I use 1 part pumice, 1 part lava, 1 part half kiryu which is river sand and half gran-i-grit, 1 part akadama, and a bit of charchoal. For Shohin trees I do the same but I use 2-3mm particles. I use a drainage layer of pumice and granite, used to just use straight pumice for drainage but since I still had a water table when the pots were tipped i'm trying something different this year and added granite to it. For trees in training i'm using sifted turface in place of akadama this year as well. We'll see how that goes.

I love 50 different answers and was expecting them. It gives me more options.

Thanks for your feedback.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Rich I get my pumice from Southern States. It's called Dry Stall and is used as bedding for animals. I got the idea from a few other people that suggested it on here. They also make Stall Dry which is to small to use so DO NOT buy that.
I live in Smyrna DE. 15 minutes north of Dover Race track.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
RichKid,

I have to ask them to order it for me as they do not stock it at my local Southern States Co-Op. Their SKU# is 06657999, product name is Kat Co Dry Stall. Please check their website to confirm that this is what you want. If you have to ask them to order for you, you may have to follow up with them a couple days after you call the order in. They did not place the order with their distribution center after my first call.

Regards,
Martin

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Turface, grani-grit and a bit of organic material like pine bark fines. Some of my club members use haydite in place of grit. I use grit because it's available and economical.

Best,

Augustine
Central MD 7a

Top Bottom