Soil Question

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok, one last question that I can't find the answer to online. I know most tropicals need very fast draining soils. Does akadama still fit into this, or is there something better for tropicals, specifically?

Daniel

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have no tropicals, I can't stand them. They're just not my type. I have no idea what soil they go in.
Sorry, shohin kid

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shohin Kid, I've lived in Syracuse, NY my whole life. Except for the 2 years I spent at Saint Louis University. While I was there, everyone kept talking about how humid it was. I still don't know what they were talking about.

-Dave

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok, so I've decided to make my own "soil." I'm going to use sphagnum peat moss, akadama and pool filter sand (#3). However, I'm having problems finding the pool filter sand. First, does anyone know of a big box source for this (or an acceptable replacement)? Second, is there an online source that has low shipping costs? Or, is there another medium that I could use as a replacement for the filter sand? I highly doubt that regular contractor's sand will do (which is what I originally picked up). It seems too small to allow free drainage. Thoughts?

Daniel

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Ok, so I've decided to make my own "soil." I'm going to use sphagnum peat moss, akadama and pool filter sand (#3). However, I'm having problems finding the pool filter sand. First, does anyone know of a big box source for this (or an acceptable replacement)? Second, is there an online source that has low shipping costs? Or, is there another medium that I could use as a replacement for the filter sand? I highly doubt that regular contractor's sand will do (which is what I originally picked up). It seems too small to allow free drainage. Thoughts?

Daniel
#3 Sand blasting sand. #3 sand sold by Quickreet for foundation applications in laying paver stones.

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
... and the source of this affirmation would be?

Well, after talking to several experts (including Erik Wigert) and hearing about problems that several species have with root rot, I took it that fast draining soils were a good thing to have for tropicals...:confused:

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
the only problem with the mixed you described is the peatmoss. If you are looking for a fast draining soil, peat is not the way to go. peat, which is extremely hard to water, holds water. you might want to test it out before you go putting some nice trees into it. Now there are people who use peat in there mixes, like Morten Albek, but he uses it because he lives in a dry climate and his soil needs to hold moisture a little longer. I would test it out before you use it, in my experiences, peat doesn't work for me in my climate, which is very humid.

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
the only problem with the mixed you described is the peatmoss. If you are looking for a fast draining soil, peat is not the way to go. peat, which is extremely hard to water, holds water. you might want to test it out before you go putting some nice trees into it. Now there are people who use peat in there mixes, like Morten Albek, but he uses it because he lives in a dry climate and his soil needs to hold moisture a little longer. I would test it out before you use it, in my experiences, peat doesn't work for me in my climate, which is very humid.

Even though I'm looking to use less than 1/3 of the mix as peat moss? Hmm. This is something to consider, as your climate is my climate (Louisville vs St Louis). I'll be using 40-50% akadama, 25-30% peat moss and 25-30% paver base. I thought that the other 70% would make up for the peat moss holding any moisture. Anyone else care to comment?

Last edited:

JRob

Seedling
Reaction score
Maybe talk to a well know person in your area who grows bonsai or a local club. See what soil they use, if it works for them, it will probably work for you. The people in your area know more about soil to use in louisville than I will ever know, their the ones you want to talk to

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Unfortunately, not too many do deciduous or tropical trees. Only one even uses akadama, so if that tells you much...:rolleyes:

I'll ask some guys to see what they have to say. Thanks!

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As tropical trees are only outside in the fair weather times of the year, I'm not sure about why there is so much stress about climate. I would worry more about how you're going to make them survive indoors.

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As tropical trees are only outside in the fair weather times of the year, I'm not sure about why there is so much stress about climate. I would worry more about how you're going to make them survive indoors.

Yup, reading up on fluoro set ups right now! Funny you should say that! :D

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Even though I'm looking to use less than 1/3 of the mix as peat moss? Hmm. This is something to consider, as your climate is my climate (Louisville vs St Louis). I'll be using 40-50% akadama, 25-30% peat moss and 25-30% paver base. I thought that the other 70% would make up for the peat moss holding any moisture. Anyone else care to comment?

The Spagnum peat moss is fine when using 1/3. It has anticeptic qualities also, which help reduce the chance of root rot. it also is very "light" and "airy". Plenty of space for Oxygen. Read the studies from the University of California on container soil. It's enlightening. You should be able to Google it.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just remember that if you use the typical chopped dried out stuff, the best thing you can do is to put it in a bucket ahead of time and soak it, then use it. The dried out stuff is (I think the term is or close to -) hydrophobic, it is quite hard to get it wet it repels water, you will need to soak the stuff or face issues with you tree.

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well, I've just mixed up some paver base and the peat moss that was dried out. I rinsed the paver base out, filtered it using water and thus it added quite a bit of water to the mix. It seems to have absorbed water pretty well. I'm going to let it sit for a while before using it on your recommendation. I don't want it doing poopy things to my trees...:eek:

Top Bottom