Soil question ...

Rick99

Sapling
Reaction score
So Im sitting around the house quarantined so I decided to go thru the garage and I found a few things from years ago that I believe were things suggested to me to add to soil. Has anyone used any of these and if so what are your thoughts? The blue and red bag is grit. The Profield green bag is sand size and the Soil Perfector is actually chucks of clay (looks like stones/lava). Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_7418.jpg
    IMG_7418.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7419.jpg
    IMG_7419.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7420.jpg
    IMG_7420.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 12

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don’t know the first two components. I do use Soil Perfector combined with Kiryu and Aged Pine Bark Chips. The Soil Perfector in particular has worked very well for my American Elms, Zelkova, Korean Hornbeams, American Hornbeam and an Oak tree. The Soil Perfector holds moisture much the same as Lava rock would. It does not break down. Just wash well before use as it can have a small amount of grey dust. I just hose it down with a garden hose while it's in a large plastic colander like basin and let it dry in the sun and air. Very happy with it.

Here's a technical description of Soil Perfector:
Soil Perfector is made from a naturally derived, ceramic mineral that is kiln-fired at temperatures in excess of 2000° F. This process creates a durable, lightweight granule containing thousands of tiny storage spaces that hold the perfect balance of water, air and nutrients for an improved soil structure.

I bought several bags when it was on a wintertime sale....with free shipping included. Hmmm I never saw it on sale again. But I watch....and will buy more.

Rick99

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I like how the Soil Perfector seems to do the same as lava rock. Looks pretty similar in size as well. The grit is just crushed quarry rock I believe. Its not dust its you really tiny grit.

Top Bottom