Soil question

Jnicholes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello,

I would like advice on some soil for my little oak bonsai. Here it is today.

image.jpg

A long time ago, I did a science experiment involving soil for vegetables. The experiment involved making a soil mixture called Terra Preta.

Terra Preta is basically a mixture of charcoal, bone, shells, manure, and compost. The charcoal absorbs nutrients, and releases them when the soil is watered. It also prevents nutrient leaching.

I actually was successful with making it many years ago. The soil test said the nutrients were LITERALLY off the chart.

Here’s my question. Would this soil combination I described, which is full of nutrients and prevents leaching, be good for oak bonsai, or even bonsai in general?

Jared

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soil. The hardest thing for bonsai beginners to wrap their head around in my opinion (it was for me) Especially if you have a gardening/horticulture background. Your soil mixture would be great for your seedlings but not so good as a bonsai soil. Bonsai soil is less organic, drains well, and allows air to reach the roots more readily. It is not built to retain moisture for the most part. We use DE, pumice, scoria (sp?) acadama and some inorganic material depending upon your climate. I see you are in Idaho not sure if there are local bonsai clubs around but they would be the ones who could give you the best soil mixture for your climate. You can also search soil here and you will find more info about it. Welcome to bonsai! Enjoy your journey.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in Phoenix. This is the soil we use for our climate. 20210220_202706.jpg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
For your seedling, regular compost mix is fine. For bonsai, you will find recommendations like stated by @Arizona bonsai to be beneficial.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello,

I would like advice on some soil for my little oak bonsai. Here it is today.

View attachment 355704

A long time ago, I did a science experiment involving soil for vegetables. The experiment involved making a soil mixture called Terra Preta.

Terra Preta is basically a mixture of charcoal, bone, shells, manure, and compost. The charcoal absorbs nutrients, and releases them when the soil is watered. It also prevents nutrient leaching.

I actually was successful with making it many years ago. The soil test said the nutrients were LITERALLY off the chart.

Here’s my question. Would this soil combination I described, which is full of nutrients and prevents leaching, be good for oak bonsai, or even bonsai in general?

Jared
Check out the resource section of this website. Two resources in particular regarding Soil. The inorganic soil reference sheet and the Soil Physics sheet.
Once you understand what works and why you can seek out suitable components with confidence.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Terra Preta should be a great component of a bonsai mix. But because it is so "hot" loaded with nutrients, it might be too "strong" for bonsai. We want slower growth, with short internodes. But the concept behind Terra Preta is sound. A workable mix would be 25 % Terra Preta with 75% pumice or perlite.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
You best bet is to get a couple more oak saplings like that and use different mixes that are relatively easy for you to source and see what gets the best result. Then all your eggs wont be in one basket.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Terra Preta should be a great component of a bonsai mix. But because it is so "hot" loaded with nutrients, it might be too "strong" for bonsai. We want slower growth, with short internodes. But the concept behind Terra Preta is sound. A workable mix would be 25 % Terra Preta with 75% pumice or perlite.
Might be good for trunk/nebari development on young stock. Ill have to see if its available around me and try on some elms.

Jnicholes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Might be good for trunk/nebari development on young stock. Ill have to see if its available around me and try on some elms.
I actually make it myself. I was quite successful once when I tried to make it.

Anyway, I think I will get multiple seedlings and see what has the best results, like someone here said.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I actually make it myself. I was quite successful once when I tried to make it.

Anyway, I think I will get multiple seedlings and see what has the best results, like someone here said.

After doing some light reading on it, I think its finally going to push me over the edge to add a hand full of some Biochar into my mix. I have been debating it for a few years but never built up the courage because I dont often see it in quality trees.

I dont think actual, organic terra preta will work out in a bonsai pot for me though.

Top Bottom