Soil question?

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I live in Fort Worth TX and am trying to figure out a good soil I can mix up for my bonsais, I have a huge bag of akadama from Japan that just arrived and I’ve tried multiple pre mixed bonsai soil from Amazon and other vendors etc.. anyone that can tell me what their using in a hot windy humid climate like my own would be appreciated!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Even with the added climate provision you are still going to get a wide range of responses. It is possible to learn to grow good bonsai in almost any mix and anyone who is growing even reasonable bonsai will tell you their trees are doing exceptionally well and therefore their mix is the best or only one to use. Posts like this have usually ignited heated arguments over the various merits of different type mixes so I hope you can get some reasonable responses and make some sense out of it all.

My area has hot, dry summers, cool, wet winters but probably less wind. My trees seem to do well in the mix I use which is 70% composted pine bark/ 30% propagating sand with calcium to balance pH, Iron and controlled release fert to counteract N draw down.
I tried akadama with a couple f trees but with my current watering regime I found that it stayed far too wet. With a change of watering it would probably be fine but I can't see the point in importing soil from the other side of the world when local alternatives will work well.

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
From all the reading I've done, I agree with Shibui that everyone is going to say their mix is "the best". What matters more than components, in my mind, is proportions.

You obviously want a well-draining mix that retains water and allows for airflow through the substrate. Most popular mixes will do that equally well. Where the trick comes in, is deciding how much of each component to use. This decision is based on your climate and tree species, as well as your knowledge of the properties of the components.

Say you have a mix of akadama, pumice, and lava rock (1/3 of each). That's very well draining and popular. If you find that you're having to water 3 times a day because the soil dries out, you know that you'll need more akadama, perhaps a mix of 2/3 akadama, 1/6 pumice, 1/6 lava rock.

Same goes for other components; they can be grouped by trait and substituted in most any situation. Don't wanna use akadama? Swap it for pine bark fines. Don't wanna use "bonsai pumice"? Swap it for Perlite. Don't wanna use lava rock? Swap it for even more Perlite.

As long as you have a mix of some kind of drainage component and water retention component you'll be fine. The fact that people are growing things in straight sand shows that as long as your mix has drainage, water retention, and oxygen through it, it will work.

What I do is buy bulk components and keep them sealed in their own bins. Then I can throw together any mix I want with any proportion I want. I will never buy premix again (unless I already know it's perfect for my needs). If you blindly buy premixed soil, it's almost impossible to accurately change the proportions of components to suit your needs.

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Shibui thabks for the response, yes I’m Not looking for an argument on this thread but more so want to see what people are using in areas similar to mine so I can try a little bit of everyone’s mix. Or get ideas from people and go from there, @QuantumSparky thank you! I got a boat load of akadama from a friend who is giving up bonsai and moving to dorm rooms in college. I have also read some of Peter Chan’s books and he mentions that spahgnum moss can be added into the soil for water retention and claims that it’s a “miracle moss”. I was thinking of akadama, pine bark and or coconut coir, lava and pumice. My whole thing is I water in the morning around 6/6:30 and go to work and don’t get home till around 5/6/7. And when I get home my trees are usually dry, especially my wrightia religiosa, and JM.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My only advice is keep it simple. 😎

There are too many variables I.e. tree type, seasonal changes, media mix, erratic weather (transitory and patterns), pests and pot construction and experience with pots and different trees, tree placement, watering timing and style etc…. to name some of the top of my head…. that can affect your ultimate product…. or cause one to question when things don’t go right.

Learn from the locals. @markyscott is one of the good guys in your neck of the woods,

Good luck!
DSD sends

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Shibui thabks for the response, yes I’m Not looking for an argument on this thread but more so want to see what people are using in areas similar to mine so I can try a little bit of everyone’s mix. Or get ideas from people and go from there, @QuantumSparky thank you! I got a boat load of akadama from a friend who is giving up bonsai and moving to dorm rooms in college. I have also read some of Peter Chan’s books and he mentions that spahgnum moss can be added into the soil for water retention and claims that it’s a “miracle moss”. I was thinking of akadama, pine bark and or coconut coir, lava and pumice. My whole thing is I water in the morning around 6/6:30 and go to work and don’t get home till around 5/6/7. And when I get home my trees are usually dry, especially my wrightia religiosa, and JM.
Nice score with the clay! I'd say if you could stock some akadama, pine bark, lava stone, pumice, and sphagnum moss then you'd pretty much be set for any situation. I know Mike Kincead loves using only pine/fir bark in his propagation boxes for rooting cuttings, because that stuff apparently drains well AND retains moisture. You could probably even get away with 100% akadama in a lot of cases as long as you sift it.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I live in Fort Worth TX and am trying to figure out a good soil I can mix up for my bonsais, I have a huge bag of akadama from Japan that just arrived and I’ve tried multiple pre mixed bonsai soil from Amazon and other vendors etc.. anyone that can tell me what their using in a hot windy humid climate like my own would be appreciated!
Hi there, I also live in Fort Worth. I'm not sure I'd call north Texas humid necessarily, although this summer has definitely been a lot wetter than usual, but you won't hear us complaining. The perfect mix really is going to vary with each tree, and even then there is no 'perfect mix'. I honestly recommend you experiment and find what works best for you. I find I use a lot of pine bark in my mixes as it helps with water retention to help with how hot and dry it gets at times here. Tropicals I usually will do a 50/50 mix of lava rock and pine bark and found that to be pretty good. Maybe some that like some dryer feet (bougainvillea, etc.) I'll use 1:1:1 pine bark, lava, pumice. As far as for conifers I've stuck with the 1:1:1 akadama, lava, and pumice and had success. Just make sure you're on top of watering. I think one of the biggest mistakes in this hobby starting out is under watering. I know I've killed a few trees this way and it's easy to do here in Texas.

Last edited:

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Apex37 hello! Yes I live right down the street from presidio shopping center off 287! And yes I have been here for 3 years and it’s been really humid this summer. I’m from Amarillo tx where it’s dry heat and freezing cold winters. I guess that’s why my trees are struggling so much this year because of humidity and the dry winds are scorching my JM leaves! As far as under watering I think I’m at a comfortable place watering my trees and knowing what they like! Except my water jasmine. I may have to put him in my pool for him to be satisfied lol

thank you for the soil tip! I’ve reached out to mark and he’s put me in contact with a Howard and Sylvia and claims they are extremely knowledgeable so thanks to everyone for their input and thanks @Deep Sea Diver for putting me in contact with mark!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Whatever ...soil...I use, I always ....sprinkle....some POTTING SOIL...on roots when repotting.
MY theory being that a ....light....dusting of it might, just might, act as quasi tiny feeder roots on the bigger root surfaces and might, just MIGHT fool the existing roots into action.

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Mike Corazzi Hmm, seems legit lol I may try that, I have some good free draining potting soil from a local nursery,
@sorce you have no idea how many times I have heard “Amarillo by morning” it truly haunts me and is etched into every crevice of my brain lol

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Speeking of @markyscott, he has a great resource on here about soil physics that is very worthwhile for anyone trying to figure out their soil mix. Long but not a waste of time. Hell, I've found myself applying it to fencing and landscaping projects, not just bonsai.

Top Bottom