Soil, Rocks, Humidity Tray?

shaye01

Seed
Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased a Ginseng Ficus and I’ve searched online and on YouTube, but I just can’t seem to get every part of my question answered. I’ve seen pots with soil and a humidity tray and small rocks underneath and I’ve also seen pots with just small rocks and no soil or tray. I’ve read about how humidity trays are useless and I’ve read articles about how important they are, so, should I get a pot with soil and a tray underneath? or should I just use small rocks in the pot? Thank you so much.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Welcome! It will be helpful if you add your location to your profile so everyone knows your climate. A picture of your tree would also be helpful to see what kind of soil it is in currently. I guess when you say "pots with small rocks" you are talking about inorganic bonsai soil? Ficus aren't all that picky, but if it's from one of the big box stores, it could probably use a different substrate. The only thing I use humidity trays for, is to catch the run-off when watering indoors in the winter. Others may have different opinions.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I guess you are talking about a tray of rocks under the pot that the tree is in. The pot under also contains some water but the bonsai pot does not sit in water because of the rocks.
I am a firm believer in humidity trays for trees in dry climates. I use them outdoors and find it helpful.
Indoors is usually dry but I do not have any bonsai inside so only speculation that it would help.

Roots will grow out of the drain holes and into the humidity tray.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I found humidity trays useful for my 2 young ficus trees during the winter months when I had to take them inside. With the heaters on, the air was very dry otherwise.
The rest of the year I keep them outside and don't bother with the tray.

I’ve seen pots with soil and a humidity tray and small rocks underneath and I’ve also seen pots with just small rocks and no soil or tray.
I think the "small rocks" in the pot that you see are bonsai substrate. There are many different kinds and blends, but one common mix is a blend of akadama, pumice, and lava rock. This has the advantage of being free draining like rocks, but they are also porous and can hold more water than your average rock.

Top Bottom