soil top dressings

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wondering what folks use in the summer other than sphagnum moss as a top dressing in summer to keep the surface cool and moist. I thought an application of finer akadama would be the bomb, but it is drying out faster than expected. I read somewhere that lava was a good cover, but it doesn't hold as much water (I thought) as akadama, so not sure if that's a good option.
What do you use?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I now placed some local moss which looks almost like sphagnum, last year i just manually kept it moist. But i think i'll need some more advice also because this moss will probably be dead in matter of weeks, which is maybe not a problem i don't know.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Depending on tree and repotting cycle I use a layer or two of the very small size akadama that's otherwise useless. It's usually what you'd discard as too small, but seems to work as well as anything. It'll dry out, but its giving up its moisture to help the soil beneath it.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I will maybe look at buying the smaller size, right now I'm using siftings from the regular size.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would think by winter that small akadama could prove problematic.

I like to use something that'll shake off easy. Aquarium rocks, my concrete sifted rocks, terra cotta chunks(Though bad for watering if too large)

The small sacks of river rocks from the dollar store work best IMO.

20150504_173301.jpg

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am not sure that rocks like that would retain any water and keep the surface moist... If I do the smaller particles, it can be swept off the top surface I think for winter. Just wondering if lava would be a better choice.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am not sure that rocks like that would retain any water and keep the surface moist... If I do the smaller particles, it can be swept off the top surface I think for winter. Just wondering if lava would be a better choice.

For looks and protection lava is good especially if kept damp during those hot spells. I do however find myself putting on a respirator, safety glasses, and gloves cutting up sphagnum fine if it really doesn't matter what it looks like. The leaf blower on low takes it off fast :p

Grimmy

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I do however find myself putting on a respirator, safety glasses, and gloves cutting up sphagnum fine if it really doesn't matter what it looks like. The leaf blower on low takes it off fast :p
I bought an old food processer / blender for $7.50 at a local thrift store. Chopping sphagnum is just like making pesto.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Stupid question, why chop at all, why not just soak and spread?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

He is correct if you want better coverage and less overall watering. You can pack wet an inch thick and kept damp it works far better the moss in my book - easy to remove... Honest if you think about it in the North East it would be unusual for it to be of any concern at all except for maybe 2 weeks "if" the stock must stay in the sun.

Grimmy

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The birds don't fly away with it. What don't you like about the sphagnum?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have no problem with sphagnum, just thought if there was a hard substrate that would work, I'd prefer that, as I can see the soil easier. I did not chop, just soaked and spread the sphagnum, seems to work fine, and gives me what I need.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've always used sphagnum for keeping/developing surface roots on azalea. Never checked it but would presume the Ph is on the acidic side.

Top Bottom