Soil Type for Young Japanese Maples?

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a few very young Japanese Maple seedlings that are just starting out (3-6") and want to know what type of soil is best for them. I want to plant half and grow half in containers to get a feel for the difference in maturation. For the container trees, what soil type should I use, and for how long?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I live in delano which is very hot, July - Sept (100-110 degrees)
For matured Maples I use Akadama and Kiryu only and have no issues

For developing ones like a seedling and stock that i want to grow the trunk.
I have a huge success with, Lava Rock, Coco Coir, Charcoal combo.

But If I have more space in my backyard I would just put it in the ground (below a big tree for shade)

Thanks
Chris

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Everybody has their own favorite soil mix and they all seem to work which suggests that either maples are not fussy or people can adapt their care to match these very different soils.
Personally I use the same mix of pine bark and coarse sand balanced with iron and pH adjusted for all my trees whether in bonsai pots or grow pots and they do well in a hot, dry climate.
In the past I have been happy with a commercial mix aimed at larger containers which consisted of largish pine bark and coarse sand.
For larger containers it does not seem to matter what soil mix is used. The smaller the containers the more critical the correct mix becomes.

It may help to know what sized containers you plan to use and what soil options you have available

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
For growing out young maples in nursery cans, I'll use almost anything I have available... from bagged pro-mix potting soil to used bonsai soil- turface based soil works quite well ;)- with bark mulch mixed in. Once they begin more targeted training of the roots, they get moved into flatter containers and I'll be more likely to use mostly aggregate soil components.

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Everybody has their own favorite soil mix and they all seem to work which suggests that either maples are not fussy or people can adapt their care to match these very different soils.
Personally I use the same mix of pine bark and coarse sand balanced with iron and pH adjusted for all my trees whether in bonsai pots or grow pots and they do well in a hot, dry climate.
In the past I have been happy with a commercial mix aimed at larger containers which consisted of largish pine bark and coarse sand.
For larger containers it does not seem to matter what soil mix is used. The smaller the containers the more critical the correct mix becomes.

It may help to know what sized containers you plan to use and what soil options you have available
Thanks for the advice! They're all tiny as of now so I'm only planning on repotting them into 6-8" clay pots to get them into something sturdy (I bought them on FB Marketplace and the seller just has them in those tiny square plastic "pots" that look more like growing tray inserts). I have access to a Home Depot and I'm willing to purchase soil blends from Bonsai Jack if needed

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I use potting soil or coco coir for maples and cherries (my only deciduous not in bonsai soil). And it seems to work pretty well.

Top Bottom