The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

I thought I would leave this here...:

1648723257530.png

1648723142632.png

Conclusion

This trial was done with a very small number of plants. From a scientific perspective the number of samples probably is insufficient for statistically sounds conclusions. That being said, with the differences being so clear, I personally feel confident that the pattern seen here is real, and not a coincidence.

In this experiment, seedlings grown in Akadama showed reduced biomass accumulation. The above-ground parts were shorter and thinner than those in other substrate. For growing bonsai from seed / young material this might mean that Akadama will slow down above ground development. On the other hand, for more mature material it might mean that internodes are closer and fewer extending branches will form when growing in Akadama.

The roots were finer, and with more active growing tips for Akadama. This may assist in developing a better nebari.

Considerations

Akadama is by most not used pure, but rather in a mix with e.g., bims and lava. As such this could be seen as an unfair comparison. Considering the differences seen in this experiment it is worthwhile to explore further experiments with individual substrate components as well as mixed substrates. If you have done such experiments, please let me know!

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I've recently noticed the same thing with a couple of elm cuttings from 3 years ago.. One group planting was planted in a mix of akadama and pumice. This resulted in a couple of bigger roots and bigger trunks.
The other group planting was planted in straight akadama. It has a lot of very fine roots, no bigger roots and LOTS of fine twigs above ground. It's not a scientific research either, but I kinda had a hunch the akadama would 'slow down' the development of these young trees.

Attachments

• IMG20220320105839.jpg
    IMG20220320105839.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG20220320111648.jpg
    IMG20220320111648.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG20220320113149.jpg
    IMG20220320113149.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG20220320110958.jpg
    IMG20220320110958.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG20220320102107.jpg
    IMG20220320102107.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 47

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For growing bonsai from seed / young material this might mean that Akadama will slow down above ground development. On the other hand, for more mature material it might mean that internodes are closer and fewer extending branches will form when growing in Akadama.
Well, this is the same statement that Ryann makes. He does not "endorse" the use of akadama for trees in development. He recommends a 60-70% organic with 30-40% inorganic substrate. He also recommends 100% akadama for all deciduous trees once they enter the refinement stage.

David Cortizas from Spain did a similar test with akadama/worm humus, akadama 70/kyriu 30, akadama 70/ pumice 30, akadama/kyriu/bio char. He doesn't use 100% akadama because the 70/30 akadama/kyriu is the mix they used in Taisho-en were he did his apprenticeship. The akadama/kyriu was the best for developing tighter internode length and ramification in his test. The roots also presented the same scenario as the top of the tree. Video is in Spanish, but you can set CC with auto-translation to other languages.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, this is the same statement that Ryann makes.
Thanks for confirming, although I am not sure who he is, and what value such statements hold.

I was just fed-up with all the statements being made, without ever seeing a proper side-by-side comparison, which is why I did a small one. Considering the differences I found, I might do another one, next year, where I do a whole range of substrates.

will check the video. Good to see others trialling and comparing.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for confirming, although I am not sure who he is, and what value such statements hold.

I was just fed-up with all the statements being made, without ever seeing a proper side-by-side comparison, which is why I did a small one. Considering the differences I found, I might do another one, next year, where I do a whole range of substrates.

Please do also a test with bardula :)

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Ryan Neil? I guess the double n threw you off, or you were just being sarcastic?

David started his test in 2015, this video is a recap of it and the results in 2020.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Less growth with a substrate that retains fewer nutrients. Who would have imagined it? 😜
The key is the feeding and watering schedule.

Cheers
I would dare say akadama holds on to nutrient better than the other substrate. In general, clays are known for good nutrient retention

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Less growth with a substrate that retains fewer nutrients. Who would have imagined it? 😜
The key is the feeding and watering schedule.

Cheers
hmmm, watch David's video. He got stronger growth with akadama/pumice, which retains less nutrients than akadama/kyriu. This was under a controlled test, same watering, sun exposure, etc...

Here, have a read. Further down the thread he posts CEC

Last edited:

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would dare say akadama holds on to nutrient better than the other substrate. In general, clays are known for good nutrient retention
More than the pine bark? :rolleyes:

hmmm, watch David's video. He got stronger growth with akadama/pumice, which retains less nutrients than akadama/kyriu. This was under a controlled test, same watering, sun exposure, etc...

Here, have a read. Further down the thread he posts CEC

Strong is the growth that have Mr. Pitarch, using only pure pomice.

Mr Cortiza is...well, Mr. Cortizas 🤣🤣

Cheers

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
More than the pine bark? :rolleyes:

Strong is the growth that have Mr. Pitarch, using only pure pomice.
Pumice CEC is lower than akadama, yet you are saying that it grows great trees...

And I'm sure Mr. Pitarch can sit in his nursery watering the trees when ever needed. I don't have that luxury. If growing trees in pure pumice was that easy, a lot of people here would be doing it already. Kazuo Onuma grows all his trees in pure red lava, from conifers to maples, but I'm sure he's constantly checking for when to water them. That is the problem with pumice and lava, they don't hold the same amount of water.

I wouldn't use pine bark for trees in refinement... as I wouldn't use akadama for trees in development.

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pumice CEC is lower than akadama, yet you are saying that it grows great trees...

Because "The key is the feeding and watering schedule."

And I'm sure Mr. Pitarch can sit in his nursery watering the trees when ever needed. I don't have that luxury.
Once upon a time, man invented the wheel, later on, automatic irrigation. If you want, you can 🤣

The question is....
dd5d8805effe8e3c7c6d1bfdc8a05323.jpg

Strong growth, small internodes and leaf size, a good even nebari.....Each election has a price.

Last edited:

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
True!
In my experience, the added benefit of pumice and lava rock for strong growth, is that it helps maintain structure in the soil mix (and thus aeration!). When the akadama starts to break down (and compact the soil), pumice and lava rock are there to keeps things light and aerated.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

I thought I would leave this here...:

View attachment 427672

View attachment 427671

Conclusion

This trial was done with a very small number of plants. From a scientific perspective the number of samples probably is insufficient for statistically sounds conclusions. That being said, with the differences being so clear, I personally feel confident that the pattern seen here is real, and not a coincidence.

In this experiment, seedlings grown in Akadama showed reduced biomass accumulation. The above-ground parts were shorter and thinner than those in other substrate. For growing bonsai from seed / young material this might mean that Akadama will slow down above ground development. On the other hand, for more mature material it might mean that internodes are closer and fewer extending branches will form when growing in Akadama.

The roots were finer, and with more active growing tips for Akadama. This may assist in developing a better nebari.

Considerations

Akadama is by most not used pure, but rather in a mix with e.g., bims and lava. As such this could be seen as an unfair comparison. Considering the differences seen in this experiment it is worthwhile to explore further experiments with individual substrate components as well as mixed substrates. If you have done such experiments, please let me know!
Very interesting . Considering a lot is implied about . Akadama. Slowly breaking down over time . Which is why you get great ramification . From the smaller particles . My self don’t use it . Based on its freeze performance . Thinking also . If smaller particles . Create tighter ramification . Just use smaller particles . Anyway . Think it points out there is a lot we don’t know . As smart as we think we are .

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Now they use it also at Gingko Center in Laarne. But only in the refinement stage.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wonder if these findings would carry over to akadam alternatives many people use, like Turface, SafTSorb, etc.
These tend to be different clay types or diatomaceous earth, but are chosen for their water holding to aeration ratios, much the way akadama is considered.
Anyone know of some substantiated comparisons there?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've seen insane root ramification in agar gels, basically one big slab of a super fine polymer matrix. But I've also seen the opposite, in the same medium. When corrected for species and cultivars, it seems the ones that are the longest in culture show the most ramification in the roots.
I'm thinking particle breakdown is not the whole story of the physiological result.

Root bags have similar effects, as do organic soils.

Something on the list of 'stuff to look into'.
An even drying rate is a big suspect to me. Adhesive and cohesive forces of akadama can create a sponge-like effect where water is lost in equal portions in all dimensions. Similar to a gel, or a root bag.
Maybe air pruning isn't based on air alone, but also tip death from dessication, killing auxin sources, forcing local cytokinin excesses and therefore increasing root ramification.

@cmeg1 sorry to drag you in once more, do you do eb & flow stuff? Are there any cool things you see happening when you go from wet cuttings to a drier environments with rockwool?

Top Bottom