SOIL WARS episode IV

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
So… a new episode of the Mirai podcast Asymmetry dropped yesterday with Ryan interviewing David Knauss of Apical Solutions who are helping Mirai with their ongoing foray into the world of proper soils for use in the New World. This episode has a ton of pretty ground breaking concepts and theses. The biggest shocker to me was Ryan asking in good faith if he should be moving away from akadama 😳.

So throw out your nano-tubes and get going with your manganese and iodine!!!

I’m very interested in what others (who listened to the episode) got from this besides the fact that akadama may not be the be all and end all of fine development in bonsai.

(This is a link to the apple podcasts, it can be found elsewhere if you’re not an apple user)

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I tried to listen, but honestly, my eyes glazed over 20 minutes in. Ryan has to cut to the chase (over an hour is mind numbing for any interview)
I drive a refrigerated seafood truck between Portland, Maine and Boston so I’ve got all the time for wordy monologues (or interviews as the case may be). I will say it’s worth listening to once you get to the part pertinent to our hobby.

afleischer

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I listened to the whole podcast yesterday when it dropped. I enjoyed the discussion and am now contemplating trying out some pelletized humate soil amendments as part of my bonsai soil. If nothing else it will be a fun experiment.

I do wish the podcast was a bit more clear and concise but I think the problem is no one has real answers yet. It's just a matter of experimenting and trying new things.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I drive a refrigerated seafood truck between Portland, Maine and Boston so I’ve got all the time for wordy monologues (or interviews as the case may be). I will say it’s worth listening to once you get to the part pertinent to our hobby.
Where was the "pertinent" part. My brain checked out 20 minutes in, then I baled...A time mark would be helpful.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I’ll skim through later and post it up unless someone beats me to it.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The problem is that there isn't much that's applicable outside of Mirai's set of circumstances ...without paying $85/test for water, soil, new growth, and old growth ...and then testing again after application of whatever they prescribe.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I think the takeaways that I found most intriguing were about the effects of manganese on internode length and then the fact that the nanotubes of Akadama could be equally detrimental as beneficial due to the ability of the particles to harbor toxic microbes… and that those same microbes advance the breakdown of the particles themselves. The idea that akadama works at its peak seemingly in conjunction with the heavy chemical regimen used by Japanese bonsai culture was surprising as well.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
All that said… I’ll take all this with a grain of salt as well. I remember Mirai’s struggle with the compost tea expert and how that played out after Ryan got so excited about the “new & better”. This actually gives me even more respect for the guy. He’s willing to put his money where his mouth is and do these experiments with his own trees and he’s not been one to tell everyone else to try the “new & better” until it’s proven. Somebody has to be the pioneer and he’s stepping up.

Alaskanrocket

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried to listen, but honestly, my eyes glazed over 20 minutes in. Ryan has to cut to the chase (over an hour is mind numbing for any interview)
Hahaha, I did listen to it on a particularly long road trip and at the end, I remember thinking "ok, so i definitely didn't hear the majority of that"

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Hahaha, I did listen to it on a particularly long road trip and at the end, I remember thinking "ok, so i definitely didn't hear the majority of that"
🤔

The episode came out yesterday

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
All that said… I’ll take all this with a grain of salt as well. I remember Mirai’s struggle with the compost tea expert and how that played out after Ryan got so excited about the “new & better”. This actually gives me even more respect for the guy. He’s willing to put his money where his mouth is and do these experiments with his own trees and he’s not been one to tell everyone else to try the “new & better” until it’s proven. Somebody has to be the pioneer and he’s stepping up.
He's just 'flexible' and isnt tied down to the 'one size fits all' attitude many folk have.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
He's just 'flexible' and isnt tied down to the 'one size fits all' attitude many folk have.
Absolutely. Also being able to humble one’s self and say “well that might not have been the best strategy” is commendable and goes a long way in helping others learn from your experience.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I listened to the whole thing and got little from it. The first 30 minutes arent relevant to us and after that its only tiny pieces of interest that arent elaborated on in a satisfactory manner.
They just like to talk

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, Apparently Im referring to one of the earlier ones, or I have been time traveling again. Hard to say really, I didnt piss the bed last night so thats a start.
Yeah, I understand the confusion. One droning hour + long podcast is difficult to tell from another... 😁

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I liked the views expressed and we as a forum have collectively came to the same conclusions already, I believe.
Seeing how people like @cmeg1 are changing my own way of approaching growth and plant health, combined with the stuff I learn from LED growers, it's fairly safe to say that we're all heading in the same direction. @Deep Sea Diver for instance is digging into charcoal, everyone is on board with kelp.. The snippets are there.
But this is the first time that one single person has that knowledge and voices it on a podcast.

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I listened to it working in the yard. While an interesting discussion I don’t think there is any actionable advice for the regular bonsai hobbyist.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just over halfway through, second half tonight after work but I love his deep dives. Akadama makes up 20% of my mix and (so far) I don't see any reason to change that. Maybe getting some of the miniturizing benefit without the poisoning?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The idea that akadama works at its peak seemingly in conjunction with the heavy chemical regimen used by Japanese bonsai culture was surprising as well.
That actually makes perfect sense. The heavy chemical use will kill whatever bacteria/microbes that are detrimental to the tree, along with the beneficial ones. Most of the breakdown of akadama that I have seen is in the top half of the container, where all the organic material tends to accumulate which is a breading zone for microbes/bacteria. I have also notice that the akadama in the "shin" and most of the bottom of the pot usually is intact, unless the tree is really rootbound, areas mostly void of organic material. I haven't had a chance to finish the podcast, hopefully tonight, I too get tired of wordy discussions...

Top Bottom