SOIL WARS episode IV

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I liked the views expressed and we as a forum have collectively came to the same conclusions already, I believe.
Seeing how people like @cmeg1 are changing my own way of approaching growth and plant health, combined with the stuff I learn from LED growers, it's fairly safe to say that we're all heading in the same direction. @Deep Sea Diver for instance is digging into charcoal, everyone is on board with kelp.. The snippets are there.
But this is the first time that one single person has that knowledge and voices it on a podcast.
Yup, and now use bardula instead of akadama. This will be one part of the substrate I'll use in the future

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This makes me think about Dan Robinson and the fact he uses lava, pumice, and fir bark. And also doesn't report his trees. He has some different ideas about what he likes for vigor in trees; but it leads me to think that it is a stable long term mix that has carbon in it.

He also fertilizes with miracle grow, but has the rainy Pacific winter to flush out any toxicity.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I listen to it while driving to the Pacific Expo.
It was interesting.
Carbon is the one that got stuck to me.
Quick question guys.. is adding Charcoal a good way to add carbon?
I notice that on KOYABASHI Akadama that it has some carbon into it.

Thanks
Chris

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The carbon part is really confusing.
No, charcoal would not work.

If building molecules is like k'nex, carbon is like a node atom to which you attach all other atoms.
One form of carbon is CO2, which is the lowest energy level (most oxidized). CO2 is basically inert, and one needs to put in energy to create other carbon molecules.
Things like charcoal (and diamond) are the other extreme, the most energetic form of carbon (most reduced).
The atoms in our bodies, in our food, and in plants are all in between carbon and CO2. Which is why we don't eat coal or drink oil

The classical view is that plants get carbon from the air. They take in CO2 and use sunlight to make sugars.
Plants get energy from light, and they get low energy state carbon from CO2.
And from the soil, they get the molecules that contain the other types of atoms that they need to build molecules. Hydrogen atoms from water. The famous NPK, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium. But also trace amounts of metal ions.
We humans get both our energy and our carbon from sugars, amino acids, fatty acids.

So their whole mentioning of carbon in fertilizer is a bit confusing. They ought to be saying 'organic molecules', for one. And then the question is which ones, and what is their function?

Akadama contains some organic material, ie humus/compost that was kinda mineralized ie sedimented with the actual rock in akadama. Which is why in the podcast they speculate that time turns this component of akadama literally back into soil.

Plants in the shade are hypothesized to get their calories from the soil, fed to them by the rhizosphere, which is supplied by the largest trees that catch all the light.
And it is hypothesized that this is a deliberate strategy through which the largest trees deliberately release sugars/organic molecules/calories/carbon to the rhizosphere, trying to specifically target their own seedlings that grow in their shade.

The other theory is the benefit of humic acid. And that is a big debate that seems to be unanswered currently as well. In which way both are connected is unclear. To me it seems unlikely that the first process occurs through humic acid.

How this connects with the story in the podcast and how this guy 'supplies carbon' in the bonsai fertilizer and their 'reqs' is unclear to me.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The carbon part is really confusing.
No, charcoal would not work.

If building molecules is like k'nex, carbon is like a node atom to which you attach all other atoms.
One form of carbon is CO2, which is the lowest energy level (most oxidized). CO2 is basically inert, and one needs to put in energy to create other carbon molecules.
Things like charcoal (and diamond) are the other extreme, the most energetic form of carbon (most reduced).
The atoms in our bodies, in our food, and in plants are all in between carbon and CO2. Which is why we don't eat coal or drink oil

The classical view is that plants get carbon from the air. They take in CO2 and use sunlight to make sugars.
Plants get energy from light, and they get low energy state carbon from CO2.
And from the soil, they get the molecules that contain the other types of atoms that they need to build molecules. Hydrogen atoms from water. The famous NPK, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium. But also trace amounts of metal ions.
We humans get both our energy and our carbon from sugars, amino acids, fatty acids.

So their whole mentioning of carbon in fertilizer is a bit confusing. They ought to be saying 'organic molecules', for one. And then the question is which ones, and what is their function?

Akadama contains some organic material, ie humus/compost that was kinda mineralized ie sedimented with the actual rock in akadama. Which is why in the podcast they speculate that time turns this component of akadama literally back into soil.

Plants in the shade are hypothesized to get their calories from the soil, fed to them by the rhizosphere, which is supplied by the largest trees that catch all the light.
And it is hypothesized that this is a deliberate strategy through which the largest trees deliberately release sugars/organic molecules/calories/carbon to the rhizosphere, trying to specifically target their own seedlings that grow in their shade.

The other theory is the benefit of humic acid. And that is a big debate that seems to be unanswered currently as well. In which way both are connected is unclear. To me it seems unlikely that the first process occurs through humic acid.

How this connects with the story in the podcast and how this guy 'supplies carbon' in the bonsai fertilizer and their 'reqs' is unclear to me.

So is anyone specifically adding glucose, amino acids, simple organic acids to their fertilizer mix? Some are using humic acid I guess. Everyone else just assuming these are part of organic fertilizers? Aside from generating a sticky bench I guess it wouldn't hurt much to give it a try. The problem with most of these discussions is that most of us are not in a position to design and execute a controlled experiment to make definitive conclusions.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So is anyone specifically adding glucose, amino acids, simple organic acids to their fertilizer mix?
Youll just get quick growth of some nasty stuff that then dies off. Not helping. Use pine bark, you want something that breaks down slowly. Or some of the specific compounds cmeg knows all about. Or organic ferts

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So is anyone specifically adding glucose, amino acids, simple organic acids to their fertilizer mix? Some are using humic acid I guess. Everyone else just assuming these are part of organic fertilizers? Aside from generating a sticky bench I guess it wouldn't hurt much to give it a try. The problem with most of these discussions is that most of us are not in a position to design and execute a controlled experiment to make definitive conclusions.

If you use organic fertilizer, you have all kinds of biomacromolecules, which are of course organic chemistry. Could be manure, compost, bone meal, etc etc. And that will of course contain a lot of carbon.
Bacteria break it down into smaller pieces. The roots then take up these so the plant gets NPK. And maybe also 'carbon'/energy?

In contract, inorganic fertilizer is just a bunch of salts that dissolve in water and the ions contain the NPK.

Like I said before, I don't know if we know what kind of organic molecules to add to an inorganic fertilizer to improve it. And if this effect is feeding the plant energy/calories directly through the roots in the form of sugars or amino acids.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Time to get back into the fermented molasses game.
I know some dudes are using easycarbo stuff from aquarium stores, which could be used as a potential sugar replacement in some tissue culture settings.

But the key thing about carbon molecules is that bacteria love the stuff and they eat faster than our trees.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So is anyone specifically adding glucose, amino acids, simple organic acids to their fertilizer mix?
I believe when molasses was a byproduct it was used for crop fertilization. It has had a revival with home growers and the internet. I’ve never used it, but it has basic minerals and would certainly feed the bacterial. Whether that’s a good thing in a pot, I don’t know. Plus it would seem like we’d wash it out with every watering.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The only other ‘carbon’ fertilizer I’ve heard of is this stuff out of Europe.

Is this biochar with bacteria added? Or is the carbon from some more complex sugar?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only other ‘carbon’ fertilizer I’ve heard of is this stuff out of Europe.

Is this biochar with bacteria added? Or is the carbon from some more complex sugar?
Its biochar with bacteria. No added sugar ;)
Actually I received 40L of the stuff today, as well as some liquid.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a basic primer on types of carbon and it’s role in healthy soil. Sorta what @Glaucus was alluding to.

Yep, one might check out the price on Biochar in your area. It is getting reasonable in quantity here and works well in the media, garden and lawn. We get it in 1 cuft bags.

…. don’t see how ‘adding’ bacteria is anything except a sales point. The minute the Biochar is out of the hopper, all kind of microbes will get in the product from the air And find a really good home to play in!

cheers
DSD sends

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oh I forgot the other reason of adding activated carbon/charcoal as a surface/absorption agent. But that has nothing to do about the chemistry element that I tried to cover.

As for the 'carbon in the soil', that is mostly about the soil itself. Soil is compost/humus/broken down organic material/plant matter. It contains a lot of organic material.
That is already understood adequately. But very important ant sometimes a big challenge to have good soil.

What I meant, trees trading energy/carbon through the soil, is more like this:

I can't stand in at all for the science in this video, as it is not my field. But it is certainly an interesting hypothesis.
And there are references, which I have not read.
So when they discussed 'carbon' in fertilizer in the podcast, I thought they were talking about something like this.
Not charcoal/activated carbon. Not soil/humus.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Oh I forgot the other reason of adding activated carbon/charcoal as a surface/absorption agent. But that has nothing to do about the chemistry element that I tried to cover.

As for the 'carbon in the soil', that is mostly about the soil itself. Soil is compost/humus/broken down organic material/plant matter. It contains a lot of organic material.
That is already understood adequately. But very important ant sometimes a big challenge to have good soil.

What I meant, trees trading energy/carbon through the soil, is more like this:

I can't stand in at all for the science in this video, as it is not my field. But it is certainly an interesting hypothesis.
And there are references, which I have not read.
So when they discussed 'carbon' in fertilizer in the podcast, I thought they were talking about something like this.
Not charcoal/activated carbon. Not soil/humus.
Lol I though its as simple as putting charcoal on the medium 🤣🤣

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Go figure that where this conversation left off is where this next Mirai podcast picks up. The more bonsai specific conversation begins about 35 minutes in (roughly) though, like the last one, if the sciencey side of horticulture and bonsai bore you, you’ll probably find this dry and “wordy”. That said I think Ryan only says the phrase “narrative arc” once in this one!🤣 This one delves pretty deeply into biochar/charcoal and it’s benefits as well as a plethora of other seaweed, microbe and fungus based soil topics. Another good one imho.

…and Karen O’Hanlon’s site

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
last week he said this was coming out soon... surprised it took this long to push the charcoal bandwagon since Doc from HowtowithDoc has been pushing the use of biochar for a few years now for lawn care, and Boon has been adding it to his mix for years as well.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
last week he said this was coming out soon... surprised it took this long to push the charcoal bandwagon since Doc from HowtowithDoc has been pushing the use of biochar for a few years now for lawn care, and Boon has been adding it to his mix for years as well.
I’ve been adding a bag of Hoffman’s horticultural charcoal to my mix for some time but it was more on a “it seems right” hunch than any real science. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't buy the chunky charcoal, I use The Andersons BioChar as it breaks down into the soil giving me a better coverage instead of little chunks here and there.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I’ll look for that stuff. I generally go at the bag with a dead blow mallet after sifting so the Hoffmans definitely requires extra labor… and a fair amount is generally pulverized to dust in the process and ends up as waste.

Top Bottom