Soil

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In latin america and other zones where its very dificult and expensive buy akadadama the people use hammer bricks or terracota as substitute mixed with some organic soil like worm casting
Interesting. I could see how the sharp terracotta would aid in root division. I like the idea of recycling material. I have access to pine bark from fallen trees, which appeals to me. I had worm bins years ago to use their castings. Nothing got things moving like aerated compost tea. In a complete inorganic mix I would think in a insoluble mix you would be constrained to a non organic feed schedule since there are no organisms to break down the insoluble organics? Is my thought process in-line?

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So this guy, the Aussie Bonsai Bloke, was in the same situation as you. He chose cactus mix. He does not sift….right out of the bag. Make you own opinion of his trees :)

I’ve seen quite a few of his videos. I enjoy his style. Although, come to think of it, I can only remember seeing him work on collected local material. It seems like he is in a hot dry environment? To be honest, he has aided in my initial questioning here…

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
such a wide variety soils as others have noted from the horticulture industry
Sometimes although information is true, that does not mean it applies to your specific purpose. Horticulture in general and the nursery trade in general have very different expected outcomes and processes. Growing plants for agricultural or landscape purposes, not for life in a bonsai pot. Very different rootball structure required, different care routines required, etc.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sometimes although information is true, that does not mean it applies to your specific purpose. Horticulture in general and the nursery trade in general have very different expected outcomes and processes. Growing plants for agricultural or landscape purposes, not for life in a bonsai pot. Very different rootball structure required, different care routines required, etc.
I completely agree and can see the difference in the outcomes below the soil. Also, up top is a reflection of the health below.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Would you mind answering post 19 and 21? Your work is inspiring.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So let’s say you have deciduous maple that you are taking from nursery stock with the end goal of air layering and then styling. You put it in an inorganic mix from Bonsai Jack in a grow box, to establish a finer root system What would the benefit of adding an organic like pine bark to the inorganic mix? Or is it not needed because the grow block with retain water and aid in nutrient exchange?
If I intended to air layer than I would strengthen the tree with fertilizer and better carte routines before air layering. I would not bother to repot prior to air layering.
Separate to that aspect, the addition of pine bark can increase water retention and also be used to alter the PH of the Soil mix, more to the acidic end of the spectrum. Most inorganic mixes tend to neutral or slightly basic depending on components. Some species require or benefit from lower Ph and higher moisture retention.
Additionally some climates or personal care routines require soil mixes that retain moisture for longer periods of time either due to wind, temperature of work schedules.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If I intended to air layer than I would strengthen the tree with fertilizer and better carte routines before air layering. I would not bother to repot prior to air layering.
Separate to that aspect, the addition of pine bark can increase water retention and also be used to alter the PH of the Soil mix, more to the acidic end of the spectrum. Most inorganic mixes tend to neutral or slightly basic depending on components. Some species require or benefit from lower Ph and higher moisture retention.
Additionally some climates or personal care routines require soil mixes that retain moisture for longer periods of time either due to wind, temperature of work schedules.
Thank you, crystal clear. It’s funny because I saw bonsai jacks inorganic mix with ph of 5.6 and thought it was odd. I’m assuming at this point he is adding an acidifier to reduce the ph since inorganic mixes are closer to 7?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I could see how the sharp terracotta would aid in root division.
This is a myth, no research or evidence to support said comment. Explore the writings of Michael Hagedorn. " Bonsai Heresy" published 2020. page 40

In a complete inorganic mix I would think in a insoluble mix you would be constrained to a non organic feed schedule since there are no organisms to break down the insoluble organics?
Not true, you are thinking in terms of a completely sterile situation. Non existent in nature. Highly recommend chapter two in the book noted above, it is titled "Growing media and repotting".

The book suggested is inexpensive and very worthwhile to help you get a grip on some fundamental truths in Bonsai. Touches on way more than just soil mixes. If you combine this read with the resource section in Bonsai Nut it will stand you in good stead moving forward.

Attachments

• IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 3

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is a myth, no research or evidence to support said comment. Explore the writings of Michael Hagedorn. " Bonsai Heresy" published 2020. page 40

Not true, you are thinking in terms of a completely sterile situation. Non existent in nature. Highly recommend chapter two in the book noted above, it is titled "Growing media and repotting".

The book suggested is inexpensive and very worthwhile to help you get a grip on some fundamental truths in Bonsai. Touches on way more than just soil mixes. If you combine this read with the resource section in Bonsai Nut it will stand you in good stead moving forward.
I saw all of that on YouTube , it has to be true! 😂

I’m on the hunt for it now. Thanks for turning me onto the resource section earlier today, I didn’t even know that section was there.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I saw all of that on YouTube , it has to be true! 😂

I’m on the hunt for it now. Thanks for turning me onto the resource section earlier today, I didn’t even know that section was there.
It should be on your Christmas List, family members always need help with inexpensive suggestions other than socks and ties.

Top Bottom