Soils and aggregate in MA?

ochong

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m new to Bonsai, but I’ve been doing a lot of reading on soils and aggregates. I’ve found Napa 8822 and some decent soil conditioner, but I can’t find pumice or lava anywhere. (Well, I haven’t checked Bonsai West yet.)

Does anyone know of an eastern MA or southern NH / MA supplier that sells appropriate medium?

Or if these are just a scarcity in this part of the country, what’s the next best thing in place of pumice and lava?

Thank you!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
im in dartmouth/westport, where ya from? i use perlite, oildry and some form of organic (compost or MG cactus succulent mix) 30/30/30 with mosquito bits and have had a lot of success in this area...

ochong

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@hinmo24t I’m in Lexington. I was reading that due to how perlite floats it can be a pain. I take it you haven’t found it to be much of an issue? What do you mean by mosquito bits?

@sorce I was considering just napa and some organic, but wasn’t sure if that would result in something too wet. My read of materials was that napa is roughly equivalent to akadama from a moisture holding perspective.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New England Bonsai in Bellingham should have some pumice, lava and akadama packaged individually. Give them a call first for availability. And note they are only open on the weekends these days.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
@hinmo24t I’m in Lexington. I was reading that due to how perlite floats it can be a pain. I take it you haven’t found it to be much of an issue? What do you mean by mosquito bits?

@sorce I was considering just napa and some organic, but wasn’t sure if that would result in something too wet. My read of materials was that napa is roughly equivalent to akadama from a moisture holding perspective.
right on and i havent had issues with perlite floating, not that some of it doesnt

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Perlite is a "pretty good" substitute for pumice. It is in fact quarried from rhyolite deposits, it is a form of pumice. The mined perlite is flash heated, the steam "pops like popcorn" the granules. I believe in its raw form perlite is considered a rhyolite tuft. Rhyolite, pumice, scoria, lava, all are volcanic products with overlapping chemistry. Main differences are pore sizes.

In shallow pots, perlite does "float" enough to be a problem. A thin layer of long fiber sphagnum, or a layer of living moss can nicely hold the perlite in place. In larger pots "floating" is not an issue.

Regardless of what media you choose to use, single component mixes tend to have serious problems. For example blends of perlite & Napa 8822 will be much better than 100% one or the other. Most of use use 3 component mixes, and it is important to get particle sizes in the same size range.

For example. Medium pumice and a chunky coarse grade of Turface is a nice mix. Particles the same size. Pumice and Napa 8822 is a bad mix, pumice is much too large compared to 8822. Dry Stall pumice (no longer in business) was a very fine grain pumice. Dry Stall & 8822 was an excellent mix, because the particles were the same size.

A set of sieves will vastly improve any bonsai mix you make. Get rid of fines, get rid of coarse chunks. Sieves are not that expensive and are well worth the the time it takes to sift your media.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey neighbor, usually I source pumice from the local hydroponics stores. Cheaper than the specialty stores but the particle sizes are somewhat mixed (~$18 for 1 cubic ft or 7.5 gallons). Boston Gardener in Roxbury usually has some, and The Grow Hub in Littleton has it on their website but I haven't gone yet.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

ochong

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Perlite is a "pretty good" substitute for pumice. It is in fact quarried from rhyolite deposits, it is a form of pumice. The mined perlite is flash heated, the steam "pops like popcorn" the granules. I believe in its raw form perlite is considered a rhyolite tuft. Rhyolite, pumice, scoria, lava, all are volcanic products with overlapping chemistry. Main differences are pore sizes.

In shallow pots, perlite does "float" enough to be a problem. A thin layer of long fiber sphagnum, or a layer of living moss can nicely hold the perlite in place. In larger pots "floating" is not an issue.

Regardless of what media you choose to use, single component mixes tend to have serious problems. For example blends of perlite & Napa 8822 will be much better than 100% one or the other. Most of use use 3 component mixes, and it is important to get particle sizes in the same size range.

For example. Medium pumice and a chunky coarse grade of Turface is a nice mix. Particles the same size. Pumice and Napa 8822 is a bad mix, pumice is much too large compared to 8822. Dry Stall pumice (no longer in business) was a very fine grain pumice. Dry Stall & 8822 was an excellent mix, because the particles were the same size.

A set of sieves will vastly improve any bonsai mix you make. Get rid of fines, get rid of coarse chunks. Sieves are not that expensive and are well worth the the time it takes to sift your media.

Thanks so much for the thoughts and information. Too bad on the Dry Stall no longer being around, I actually attempted to hunt it out as well.

I have a seive on the way - planning to do some sorting of 8822 and bark this weekend.

ochong

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey neighbor, usually I source pumice from the local hydroponics stores. Cheaper than the specialty stores but the particle sizes are somewhat mixed (~$18 for 1 cubic ft or 7.5 gallons). Boston Gardener in Roxbury usually has some, and The Grow Hub in Littleton has it on their website but I haven't gone yet.

Good tip! $18 for a 1 cubic foot is great. I'll have to explore the hydroponics stores.

Top Bottom