Soils for Bald Cypress, Ginkgo Biloba, Kotohime Maple, and Chinese Elm

Reaction score
Hello,

I have finally ventured into deciduous trees after many years of successfully taking care of conifers (mainly California junipers). I am not quite sure what soil I need for the following trees:

Bald Cypress

Ginkgo Biloba (Friend gave it to me, currently in a large pot of just normal potting soil mix, not sure to leave it or wait for winter to repot)

Kotohime Maple

Chinese Elm

I have some good conifer substrate mix that i've been using for years, but not sure if I need to add more organic bark for these deciduous trees. I also read that Kotohime maples like slighly more acidic mix and azela mix is recommended along with watering a small diluted white vinegar into 5 gallons of water. All the trees are small saplings and I would like to train them to grow big, so I am also not sure if I can grow them in a large pot and add some cheaper material like perlite.

Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• photo_2020-04-13_19-16-43.jpg
    photo_2020-04-13_19-16-43.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 25

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The whole water pH thing is more important than the soil media for maples.

I work with a couple of nurseries that grow production maples and they keep the pH between 5.8 and 6.2, if your water is pH is above 6.2 get pH probe from a hydro store and reduce it, but without testing it is really easy to go too low

I use a 50/50 pumice organic mix for all my deciduous trees. I repot often but that is more due to my personality that the science.

Reaction score
The whole water pH thing is more important than the soil media for maples.

I work with a couple of nurseries that grow production maples and they keep the pH between 5.8 and 6.2, if your water is pH is above 6.2 get pH probe from a hydro store and reduce it, but without testing it is really easy to go too low

I use a 50/50 pumice organic mix for all my deciduous trees. I repot often but that is more due to my personality that the science.
any recommendations to test pH easy and a good 50/50 pumice organic mix?
Thanks

Also what are your favorite deciduous trees? I heard I can just leave my bald cypress submerged in water.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You bumped the thread correctly. No problem. Sometimes a bump is what is needed.

Bark is the "standard" organic media used for bonsai. And for nursery trees in general. So yes. Bark is the additive to use. Douglas fir bark is the most common form of bark, but pretty much any bark, if composted for 3 to 6 months is good. Douglas fir bark, "generic" pine bark, usually southern yellow pine, fir bark from actual fir trees, spruce bark or a mix of various deciduous and coniferous bark from local logging operation will work. There will be differences in the amount of water each type holds, but this will also be a function of the amount of time the bark was composted too. Fresh bark holds less water.

Bark in general, as it decays, will create an acidic environment for the roots. Bark can make an acceptable media for azaleas, it is acidic enough. A peat-bark blend is used for true acid loving plants like blueberries.

A "standard" deciduous blend is 25% to 50% bark, with the rest of the mix being your typical inorganics that one would use for junipers or pines, pumice, lava, etc. Myself I tend to use about 25% for my deciduous, but I live in relatively cool, relatively moist climate when compared to your part of California.

Bald Cypress, many discuss that they like a heavy organic mix. Some use potting soil as a major component of their mix for bald cypress. I have used 50% bark, with no trouble for bald cypress.

Japanese maples are a problem in the desert southwest. It is very likely no matter what you do, your local climate will conspire to kill your Japanese maple. Correspond with @0soyoung or Smoke about how to keep maples alive in Southern California. If that photo is the view out your backyard, Japanese maples are doomed. The low humidity, high heat and bad water will conspire to kill your 'Koto Hime'. I would keep your 'Koto Hime' in shade on the north side of your house or a fence or whatever. Zero sun, especially mid-day if you want it to get through the high heat of summer.

For you other trees, if your water is not killing your junipers, it won't hurt the others, except azalea and maples, and maybe hornbeam. The ginkgo, elms, and bald cypress will be fine with the water your junipers are happy with.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I live Arizona so the heat is def a factor. For my Elms I use 20% fine bark and the rest pumice and red lava. I use slightly deeper pots and I'am able to get away with watering once a day.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Using miracid too works great for maples. I place my maples in Aoki and use miracid they are all doing great!!!

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
also I have a gingko strictly in aoki doing very well I use the aoki deciduous blend

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My ginkgo went into Clay King an alternative would be Boon mix. It was very happy repotted and root pruned hard...and stuck in this commissioned pot by Victor Harris of Erin Pottery. Didn't skip a beat...and a good many of the branches on the right developed last year with that substrate in the pot. This was at the guidance of Scott Lee in which I purchased my Ginkgo from. Now, my Bald Cypress...goes into Aoki blend.
95585465_3157768890910758_9150266213098586112_n.jpg

Top Bottom