Sokan Juniperus Chinensis Prostrata, Father /Son

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Man, this is a nice idea and work. How much time passed between those two pictures?

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Man, this is a nice idea and work. How much time passed between those two pictures?
Maybe 2 years I can't remember , I was thinning out some old growth , dead twigs downward growth . This is one of the trees that will be wired with Tyler this weekend

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very nice tree, looks like twins then father son.
Thanks the smaller trunks apex will be brought down more I'm not finished wiring yet , almost there ! We also discussed changing the planting angle where the larger trunk sits up above the smaller one , the smaller trunk has the nice deadwood /Shari which makes it feel more dominate , but I will be starting a small Shari next year on the main trunk , there was a very large branch that was removed years ago and the live tissue around this area has slightly swelled on both sides, so we will slowly start opening it up to give the larger trunk more age
lovely progress and great work on the trunks the oil and lime sulphur really improve the looks.

Thanks ! No oil just removed the flaky bark and lightly wire brushed , I had just watered it and took the picture , the bark may be wet.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Thanks the smaller trunks apex will be brought down more I'm not finished wiring yet , almost there ! We also discussed changing the planting angle where the larger trunk sits up above the smaller one , the smaller trunk has the nice deadwood /Shari which makes it feel more dominate , but I will be starting a small Shari next year on the main trunk , there was a very large branch that was removed years ago and the live tissue around this area has slightly swelled on both sides, so we will slowly start opening it up to give the larger trunk more age

Thanks ! No oil just removed the flaky bark and lightly wire brushed , I had just watered it and took the picture , the bark may be wet.

Great plan in place

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
What method are you using to develop your foliage pads?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am just curious not meaning to start a debate; how are you dealing with the new growth to keep the foliage compact?

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just growing out and cutting back to new interior growth , wiring out , they grow rather leggy and and you get needle foliage rather easily. I prefer shimpaku :D I spent a great deal of time cleaning branches to prepare for the wiring to lay out the pads again , now I'll let it grow all next season untouched for the most part

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for letting me know how you maintain this tree. I agree about the Shimpaku.

Top Bottom