story-o.gif

Sounds like quite the charmer! Trolls at an intensive! Who knew?!?!:p
Not for nothin'.....I'd remember droppin' 2 bills!!:confused:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fat bottomed bonsai make the bonsai world go round!
It really should be:

"Fat bottomed trees make the bonsai world go round".

That's what I meant to tap in on my iPhone. Sometimes, the words don't come out just right.

Here's another fat bottomed tree, for those who like them. You know who you are...

image.jpeg

No, it's not a shohin. Almost. About 10 inches tall.

That's an "After" picture. Sorry, forgot to take a "Before". (As you can see, I was getting pretty tired by the time I got to take this picture! Kinda leaning to the right! Lol!)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
realy nice size and tree and ... Nice taper also... always wonder if these are scarless, but i expect it to be...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry, Dirk, I don't have a picture of the back. But it's pretty much scarless.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The backside is telling me often how well something is made... (not only in bonsai)
Yeah, I understand. The bark on the back of this little one is better than the front. Deeply fissured plates.

I'll see if I can get a picture. I left the tree at Boon's.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yeah, I understand. The bark on the back of this little one is better than the front. Deeply fissured plates.

I'll see if I can get a picture. I left the tree at Boon's.
That is often because the side of the tree that is the least exposed to the light produces the most fissured bark. You usually display the front of the tree most of the time to the light.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That is often because the side of the tree that is the least exposed to the light produces the most fissured bark. You usually display the front of the tree most of the time to the light.
You are correct, Vance! Kimura uses this fact to age his trunks sometimes by shading them. Takes a couple years.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Why is that ? I mean why is the thicker bark on the shady side ?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Why is that ? I mean why is the thicker bark on the shady side ?
You would be asking for speculation. I have never heard a good reason given that is scientifically provable, but it does happen. I don't know if the bark is thicker, it is just more wrinkly/fissured.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Truth be known much of what we know and what we think we know about the physiology of trees is not much more than speculation, aka, a guess. However if that guess repeats itself long enough in the same way then we assume it to be true. It is in this, and the time of year we repot trees, and the reason why we repot at this time of year are not as cut and dried as we would like to believe. We take comfort in our illusions as being something we can fall back on and depend on in all cases. When those cases do not cooperate we assume the asset cannot be dealt with at all, or only very carefully. This is the kind of scenario I used to get with Mugo Pines.

The issue of the bark is a good point that probably will not cry out for defenders on either side, it is simply something we can only guess at. In some cases we can duplicate it as has been pointed out, but we cannot define why it is so. It is like photosynthesis, where in we know how it works, or think we do, but we cannot make a test tube version that functions. It's why can't we make life?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Why would you hate me? Because I have a few nice trees?

Naaah... I't's just that when I'm in a bout of depressive mood, or even only doubt, and I see such nice trees, I wonder "What the heck?" and feel like giving all mine to more savvy people who will be able to take care of them properly.

But no worries, the sun is shining today, and my mood is on the bright side.

Top Bottom