Some Before and Afters at the Intensive

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I believe Adair is kind of sandbagging us. I've heard he removes his shoes and grasps tweezers with each set of toes too.
I would... But there are other people here. Some things are best done in the privacy of your own home!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You must be talking about this one:

View attachment 107178

So many needles to pull, so few ways to use tweezers...
Intensity at the intensives!
I like your passion for this hobby/art Adair.
It shows in your posts here too.
It's a good thing.
I actually drool when I'm engrossed on doing tough technical things.
My daughter laughs at me still. It happens when I'm wiring a tree or trying to play some solo parts on guitar.
I don't care.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Progress:

Before:

View attachment 107201

In progress:

View attachment 107202

More progress:

View attachment 107203

After:

View attachment 107204

It will go under shade cloth for about 2 weeks, then, back in full sun.

Now that's style......repotting while rockin' a Rolex!!! At least there is an absence of rubber gloves!:p

Killer Pines and great work...but...ADD and three tweezers? Perhaps this is "select ADD"

I'm TEASING!!! Are you in the Bay area now?:cool:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now that's style......repotting while rockin' a Rolex!!! At least there is an absence of rubber gloves!:p

Killer Pines and great work...but...ADD and three tweezers? Perhaps this is "select ADD"

Yes, I'm at Boon's.

Part of ADD is hyper focus. I do that with bonsai.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I've worn the Rolex ever since I bought it in 1978. Virtually every day.

I'm considering getting an Apple Watch. Maybe the second generation. But, I don't know if I could give up the Rolex.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Before:

image.jpeg

After:

image.jpeg

What was done was remove the first two leaves of each branch. Flowers buds will form only in nodes that have a leaf. So, no flowers on those two modes. Instead, they will form vegitative buds. So? I should get new branches started there in 2017.

Meanwhile, just about every place that has a leaf will get a flower bud. See how the leaves are all kinda curled? That's the sign they're making flower buds.

Also, most of the branches were wired. With aluminum. And little curves put into the branches. I had initially wired some of the branches down, but Boon said not to bend them down, just put in curves. Let them grow "up", but put in movement. So, I did.

Really, I did. You can't really see it, it's obscured by the leaves. And I didn't wire all the way to the end. Only about half way out. You see, late next fall, the wires will be removed when the leaves fall, and the branches will be cut back (yes, sacrificing some flowers!), cut back into the curvy portion.

The tree isn't cut back that far right now so that the tree will be stronger.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've worn the Rolex ever since I bought it in 1978. Virtually every day.

I'm considering getting an Apple Watch. Maybe the second generation. But, I don't know if I could give up the Rolex.
I'm a watch guy and have quite a few, but they've all been gathering dust since I got my Apple Watch. Go for it!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Before:

image.jpeg

Another shohin olive!

After:

image.jpeg

I think I gave it too much Miracle Grow!

I would like to be able to tell you it's all wired out, but I hurt my back trying to lift it!

No... I'm just kidding! I am in the process of wiring it, hopefully finish tomorrow morning.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Before:

View attachment 107244

Another shohin olive!

After:

View attachment 107245

I think I gave it too much Miracle Grow!

I would like to be able to tell you it's all wired out, but I hurt my back trying to lift it!

No... I'm just kidding! I am in the process of wiring it, hopefully finish tomorrow morning.
Looks like you were using the hammering technique! This must be the "little olive" from that thread - looking forward to seeing its next stage.

Top Bottom