Some bonsai folks have guns

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know anything about guns and have never owned a gun.
Long story short a man tried to enter my apartment last night. I live in a secure building so when the cops came I had to leave my apartment to go let them in the building. It was a very helpless feeling.
I would like to own a gun- it would have to be small- fire easily and be dependable.
Easy for a nonviolent person to maintain.- lol
I would of course also want to practice shooting.
I have no interest in carrying it with me other than back n forth to a practice area.
I feel a small revolver would be good. As I read recently if you can't fix it with 6 shots then it likely cannot be fixed.
Does anyone have any advice or know of any girl sized guns?
I would only use it for home protection.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Avatar!

A.M. make sure you drag em in the house after you shoot em. Or wait until they enter.

Be careful!

Sorce

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
oh...and no revolver. Double action guns have too much trigger pressure and pulling back a hammer for most girls will allow you to be dead or raped before its cocked. Let the ammo do the work. If you want the girlie size opt for the 7mm Glock. I think the 7mm comes with a thong and everything.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I recommend the only type of gun I own- Red Rider BB gun! :) jk

I was broken into at my old place a few times, and I'll pass on the advice the investigator gave me. Get a SHOTGUN. multiple reasons: 1. Easy to hit your target. If you need to hit something literally like your life depends on it (it DOES in these situations)- there is nothing better than a shotgun ESPECIALLY for a person who is inexperienced with firearms! 2. They are loud and the mere sound of someone loading the shell into the chamber- the pump action- is enough to scare off most intruders... So, hopefully you won't have to use it at all! 3. If you do have to shoot someone, a shotgun is most likely going to hit the target you are aiming for like I said before... But the round is ALSO GOING TO STOP IN THAT TARGET, or if some of the pellets miss they will stop in the wall behind them... A handgun is not only much harder to hit a target with (only one projectile) but if you DO hit your target, it is likely to go straight through the target, the wall behind it, your neighbor's wall/ door, YOUR NEIGHBOR (or their kid)... You get the point I am sure. Especially a concern for someone living in an apartment I'd think..

You can get a self defense shotgun pretty cheap too, and it should require limited upkeep.

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
A fair bit goes into that decision. But I am assuming that you would prefer a smaller framed piece. In a revolver, compact frame, look at a Smith and Wesson 442. However, If I were to recommend anything, I would lead toward a semi-auto. In a smaller frame, look at a Golck 26, Smith and Wesson M&P Shield, or a Sig Sauer P238

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh and I do not know what the laws are in your state, but a direct quote from the cop I talked to was "if you shoot someone who is breaking into your house, I will have you home with your gun back in your hand by the end of the night"...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We only have shot guns and semi automatic (clay pigeon and target practice). But, I can understand your desire to protect yourself. Find a good gun safety class...so you will feel comfortable handling it. And make it a regular thing...to go target shoot so you become comfortable with it in your hand. Glad you were unharmed...but can only begin to grasp your fear that night.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And a dog to give you time to get to the gun. And if it's the right dog you may not need to shoot anyone. It's the main reason I wanted the German Shepherd. To watch out for my wife while I'm away. We live out in the woods and the response time for the police is pitiful.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
After further reading yeah it looks like a shotgun or semi auto. I want to be able to stop the intruder.
And yes I would not want to miss.
Glock 26 looks powerful enough. If I could operate it.

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sawed off 12 gague Remington 870 pump is what we use for home defense. The short barrel let's you swing the gun around in the house. The double aught buckshot spreads in a wide pattern in a short distance. And you basically only have to point this thing in the general direction of your intended target. So no need to turn on a light to give you away. Very effective and very nasty.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sawed off 12 gague Remington 870 pump is what we use for home defense. The short barrel let's you swing the gun around in the house. The double aught buckshot spreads in a wide pattern in a short distance. And you basically only have to point this thing in the general direction of your intended target. So no need to turn on a light to give you away. Very effective and very nasty.
And, if you somehow miss, they make a mean club too! Pistol whipping hurts... Shotgun whipping ENDS people... Especially if you are built like Godzilla..

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sorry to hear about that. My wife started with a .38 S&W revolver, and hated it. Moved to a Glock 19 ( 9mm), then up to a Glock 23 (.40 cal, but same size as the 19) and loves it. Easy to use, easy to maintain. Of course, shotguns require slightly less accuracy, and are less likely to injure someone on the other side of a wall. A 20ga can pack a thump with less kick than a 12ga.

If you buy a gun, be sure to spend time with it at the range so you become comfortable using it before you need it!

Sorce: had a Po-Po give me the same advice about 7 years ago. Gotta love our Alabama neighborhood watch program!

Last edited:

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
After further reading yeah it looks like a shotgun or semi auto. I want to be able to stop the intruder.
And yes I would not want to miss.
Glock 26 looks powerful enough. If I could operate it.
Operation isn't difficult. Not being familiar with firearms, you want the confidence to use it. Shotguns have tremendous intimidation power, sound of loading, and the bore pointed at an intruder will make most people think twice. May be sufficient to send them packing. In its full length, it is cumbersome if on the run, in a hallway, if you need to turn quickly, harder to shoulder/aim/rack additional rounds if necessary, then there is the recoil, and getting back on target. Also, you wont be taking it to the gym, or the store. A semi auto has a round available with every squeeze of the trigger, easy to point, easy to manage recoil, and easier in tight quarters.

If you dont plan to take it anywhere, you might consider a slightly larger frame piece. Find one
that FITS you!

Do your research. Got to a reputable dealer, handle, and shoot several before making a decision, then get yourself into a course, to teach you proper handling, and maintenance. Get something that doesnt scare/intimidate you, get to know it, shoot it as much as you can. Believe me, if you are properly trained, anyone who means you harm, will fear you more with a handgun, then if they see your scared, and struggling with a shot gun.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Shotgun is my vote, 12 gage with an eighteen or twenty inch barrel. For a handgun, a Glock, Model 27. It is .40 caliber and gives more thump than a 9mm and is just as easy to manage.

John

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My vote is for a glock 19 (mid size 9mm). Still my favorite of my ten or so glocks I have. If it's for home defense and not CC I don't see the point of a 26 or 27. Also, don't let some chauvinistic guy at the gun store talk you into a revolver being female. Only 5-6 shots, horrible trigger, hard to shoot accurately due to trigger and shorter barrel, worse ballistics even with 38+p vs 9mm especially with self defense 9mm ammo.

Nothing wrong with a shotgun either. Less penetration through walls. Get both ;)

Last edited:

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have no need to carry a concealed weapon.
It would be home protection only.
I will take my time and learn first just like with my trees.
But it's good to get advice from people who know what they're talking about- and sort of know me.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone have any advice or know of any girl sized guns?
I would only use it for home protection.

An old adage: "The purpose of a handgun is to buy you some time to get to your long gun." A "long gun" means a rifle or shotgun. The "stopping power" and lethality of long guns far outweighs that of any caliber handgun, and your "accuracy" in the dark, in middle of the night, with a world of adrenalin coursing through your body and brain will be far, far less of a worry with a shotgun than with either a handgun or a rifle, especially if the shotgun has a short barrel ("sawed off" - to the legal limit or beyond), and, as M. Frary said, a shorter barrel also gives more manueverablity in the confined spaces of a house.

So, I agree with those who recommend a shotgun, but not a 12 gauge for a "girl sized gun" - get a 20 gauge pump, and load it with something like the Federal PD256 Premium Personal Defense 4 Buck shells, seen here:

http://federalpremium.com/products/shotshell.aspx

You'll be glad you did.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

wlambeth

Mame
Reaction score
What ever type you choose get yourself two types of ammunition.
Keep a clip loaded with hollow point for defense of your home and a full metal jacket for the practice range.
The hollow point will breakup when it hits the target and not pass through walls hitting an innocent neighbor.

Top Bottom