Some bonsai folks have guns

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have had guns since I was knee high to a grasshopper growing up in a family of hunters. Most of the shooting I do now is recreational though. I have a lot of guns from a .22 revolver to an .223 M4 and 410ga shotgun to a 10ga shotgun.

Bottom line best home defense is a shotgun. It gets the job done. But it is very powerful and pending on what shells (bullets) used such as buck shot a wall will not stop an off target shot.
Being in an apartment I would lean more towards a 40 cal or better a 45acp with hollow points. 45acp is a large caliber bullet but small casing or charge. They were specifically designed to deliver a lot of energy into their initial target but slow down fast. That mixed with a hollow point (hollow point bullets mushroom and break apart after impact) would be my opinion of the better bet. 9mm cartridge used to be police standard issued side arm but they found the bullets travel to fast passing through the aggressor and not stopping them.
That said my wife has a 9mm. Figure if the first one didn't stop an intruder 9 shots more should.

I have a ccw license which is a license to carry a concealed weapon on me. I took this class twice. Once myself and once with my wife. I highly recommend this class even if you don't plan to carry. Most are taught by police or ex-police officers. It has class time where you learn local laws about protecting yourself in home and else where along with range time shooting hundreds of rounds.
Range time is very important but so is the class time. Laws are very funny when it comes to protecting yourself with lethal force. But basically what it comes down to is if you have no way out in a situation, you can't climb out a window or run away without endangering yourself lethal force is aloud. Both instructors told us to shoot and keep shooting till the intruded stops moving. It's a terrible thing to say but if the intruder lives there is a chance you can be sued in court. Also you will go to jail. You did just kill someone after all. It might be for the night but you will go to jail till they the shooting is investigated and you're cleared.

Something else that was interesting we learned. If me and a friend walking down a street got held up I can legally protect my friend with deadly force. I could with out hesitating shoot the bad guy without consequence. Now if I was alone and got held up I have to give the bad guy what ever he asked for and I could only protect myself with deadly force if my life was in danger and I had no safe way to escape.

My 2 cents. Spend it how you want.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Finally got a gun after all these years. I am glad I waited until I was no longer afraid -to get one. I took an online class today and registered for a license to carry. Mainly just to carry to the range.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finally got a gun after all these years. I am glad I waited until I was no longer afraid -to get one. I took an online class today and registered for a license to carry. Mainly just to carry to the range.
I've shown people who have never touched a gun how to handle, load and shot safely. I highly recommend going to your local gun range and get some lessons if your not familiar with a gun.

What gun did you buy? Have you ever shot a gun before? I grew up in Iowa and most every kid I knew was taught how to be safe with a gun and how to shot one. Very common. I have lots and lots of advice for you.
This girl had never touched a gun.
20160102_123806.jpg

Last edited:

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've shown people who have never touched a gun how to handle, load and shot safely.
My dad was a cop and showed me the basics when I was still a teenager.
I have never fired a gun. I plan on going to the range soon. I have a 380 that belongs to my brother. I plan on choosing my own after a few practice days.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My dad was a cop and showed me the basics when I was still a teenager.
I have never fired a gun. I plan on going to the range soon. I have a 380 that belongs to my brother. I plan on choosing my own after a few practice days.
Be sure to get some help at the range. That will make things WAY easier.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There is not a better shooting 380 made than the Sig P238.....Not cheap but it is a pleasure to shoot. Stay away from the lightweight polymer plastic 380's....They kick too bad and hurt your hand after 50 rounds or so.

Good luck at the range....
Brian

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is not a better shooting 380 made than the Sig P238.....Not cheap but it is a pleasure to shoot. Stay away from the lightweight polymer plastic 380's....They kick too bad and hurt your hand after 50 rounds or so.

Good luck at the range....
Brian
Sig makes a nice gun. I have a Sig p938

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.. I don't know about multistate carry licences....but you should get covered to carry here too, and anywhere else you work travel.

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is not a better shooting 380
My brother was shot 3 times with one. Once in the face two in the gut. You can't even tell he was shot except for missing his 2 front teeth.
He was able to get away from the guy.
I suggest something larger.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Glock 21C or 34 - .45ACP or .357sig

They won't get up. Or will be very easy to find following the massive blood trail.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My brother was shot 3 times with one. Once in the face two in the gut. You can't even tell he was shot except for missing his 2 front teeth.
He was able to get away from the guy.
I suggest something larger.

I've seen a man killed by the dinky li'l 5.56mm round. Shot twice in the abdomen, once in the thigh. Expired in minutes.

It's not the size of the bullet, it's how you use it.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen a man killed by the dinky li'l 5.56mm round. Shot twice in the abdomen, once in the thigh. Expired in minutes.

It's not the size of the bullet, it's how you use it.
It's more the toughness of the guy.
He was tougher than the guy with the gun.
He was tougher than the gun.
The guy with the gun thought the gun made him the tough guy.
The gun just showed how much he was a scared little bitch.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi folks,

I know that most of us here share the same values, but also that we have a different history, and different ways of giving them reality in the real world.

For instance, "The Three Musketeers" was about a group of friends who first met by having a showdown, at a time when duels had been forgotten because the French nobility was killing each other (see: rappers in Florida).

A bit like when emperor Meiji abolished the right of samurai to bear arms.

I don't know anything about guns and have never owned a gun.
Long story short a man tried to enter my apartment last night. I live in a secure building so when the cops came I had to leave my apartment to go let them in the building. It was a very helpless feeling.
I would like to own a gun- it would have to be small- fire easily and be dependable.
Easy for a nonviolent person to maintain.- lol
I would of course also want to practice shooting.
I have no interest in carrying it with me other than back n forth to a practice area.
I feel a small revolver would be good. As I read recently if you can't fix it with 6 shots then it likely cannot be fixed.
Does anyone have any advice or know of any girl sized guns?
I would only use it for home protection.

I won't judge you, but think: if, out of fear, you had shot a neighbour, or even a friend, or someone you've never met before but looked "suspect" (like someone freaking out for the same reason as you), how would you feel?

I know it's fun to shoot at a target: when I was a kid, my father had a 22 long rifle that we used on a taget in the attics. When we moved away, we had to change the door, and fortunately, no one ever came upstairs saying "Hi guys, I've come to tell you -BANG !"

But as I said, we don't live in the same place, and don't have the same culture. Here only the cops and in some places gangs have weapons. Fortunately there are much more law-abiding citizens that don't have guns than hoodlums and the police don't shoot 100 bullets in a "suspect" climbing his grandmother's fence to bing her cookies.

I understand from your user name that you're a woman, and as a woman, you're even more prone to be the prey of predators, and so you want to feel safe, so I'm not lecturing you.

But I much better prefer to live in a society where guns are outlawed. For, at least from I can see, or read from statistics, it's much safer to live in a place where people have grown up from playing cowboys and indians with bb guns, and I think that owning guns is not a sign of civilization.

I've met people who have been mugged, beaten up, and even raped. none of them ever thought of buying a gun, and I know how the trauma lasts a long time.

To conclude this ranting:

If you had had a gun, are you sure you would have been the one to "win".

When someone dies, there's no victor (though an atheist, I'm still infused with the values of the new testament I guess...)

Go forward, coffeegirl, don't let bad people spoil this wonderful world, nothing is worse than letting people define you, or lead you to consider yourself as a victim, never give up.

Don't lose (all) your innocence....

IMG_9411.jpg

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi folks,

I know that most of us here share the same values, but also that we have a different history, and different ways of giving them reality in the real world.

For instance, "The Three Musketeers" was about a group of friends who first met by having a showdown, at a time when duels had been forgotten because the French nobility was killing each other (see: rappers in Florida).

A bit like when emperor Meiji abolished the right of samurai to bear arms.

I won't judge you, but think: if, out of fear, you had shot a neighbour, or even a friend, or someone you've never met before but looked "suspect" (like someone freaking out for the same reason as you), how would you feel?

I know it's fun to shoot at a target: when I was a kid, my father had a 22 long rifle that we used on a taget in the attics. When we moved away, we had to change the door, and fortunately, no one ever came upstairs saying "Hi guys, I've come to tell you -BANG !"

But as I said, we don't live in the same place, and don't have the same culture. Here only the cops and in some places gangs have weapons. Fortunately there are much more law-abiding citizens that don't have guns than hoodlums and the police don't shoot 100 bullets in a "suspect" climbing his grandmother's fence to bing her cookies.

I understand from your user name that you're a woman, and as a woman, you're even more prone to be the prey of predators, and so you want to feel safe, so I'm not lecturing you.

But I much better prefer to live in a society where guns are outlawed. For, at least from I can see, or read from statistics, it's much safer to live in a place where people have grown up from playing cowboys and indians with bb guns, and I think that owning guns is not a sign of civilization.

I've met people who have been mugged, beaten up, and even raped. none of them ever thought of buying a gun, and I know how the trauma lasts a long time.

To conclude this ranting:

If you had had a gun, are you sure you would have been the one to "win".

When someone dies, there's no victor (though an atheist, I'm still infused with the values of the new testament I guess...)

Go forward, coffeegirl, don't let bad people spoil this wonderful world, nothing is worse than letting people define you, or lead you to consider yourself as a victim, never give up.

Don't lose (all) your innocence....

View attachment 197635
You know a really good way to lose your innocence?
Being the victim of a home invasion where the guy does whatever he wants to you because you can't fight him off. It's the much more likely scenario.

Accidental shootings due to misidentification happen more in anti-gun propaganda than they do in reality. We're talking a few hundred compared to tens of thousands suicides and homicides in America. That isn't to say it's not something to be concerned about - God knows I've had knucklehead privates who needed particular attention on the subject - but I'd rather invest in firearms training to mitigate that risk than do nothing out of fear.

Top Bottom