Some candles browning on my JBP

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The picture is of the worst looking area. Any ideas on what's going wrong here?

This is a tree I received from Brent this February, I reduced the root mass by 50% and Brent had cut off a leader or two to help it ship easier. This season I am just feeding and watering. It's in equal parts calcined clay, lava rock and pine bark. Everything has been fine up to now besides potential signs of needle cast, which I treated with two applications of copper fungicide (bonide spray) separated by 8 days, about 10 days ago.

JBPbrownbuds.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The damage is consistent with pine shoot borers. If the damage is confined to this year's growth, and the dead shoot is hollowed out, you have your answer. I've never had an issue with them, so I'm not sure what to reccomend. I suppose a systemic pesticide would be a good place to start.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Could be a borer. Cut it off 1/4 inch below the brown. If it looks hollow cut further down until you see solid (not hollowed) branch again.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
LEAVE IT ALONE! If the problem is borer it's already gone. However; I think you have killed your tree with kindness. You reduced the root mass by 50% in February, in my book this could have been the stressor. If the tree is going to survive you need to remove the affected buds, be very careful about how you water, or you will rot the roots. Pines do not do well with our perceptions of kindness. IMHO anything else you do to this tree will do it more harm than good.

In my experience with Pines they usually do not show favorable evidence immediately after corrective measures. Anything you do now, other than set it on fire, will take a season to reveal whether it was the right thing or the wrong thing to do. Fooling around with the tree in the hope that it will magically spring to life is a sure formula for disaster.

Last edited:

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
evmibo,

I have experienced pine tip borers in my black pines in the past. I am anticipating more this year. You can certainly cut off the dead parts of the candles, which is a fundamentally sound horticultural maintenance practice, leave the remaining green and growing candle sections and then cut the removed tips open lengthwise and see if the tip is hollow or if the borer is still there. The damage they do is mostly cosmetic on pines in development, although they do slow down the plants growth rate. I have never tried to control them, other than cutting out the tips, especially ones that are just showing the damage.

Regards,
Martin

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I appreciate the advice, everyone. It was definitely shoot borers. I removed all of the affected shoots (about 10). The three pictures show the middle shoot from the original picture.

Vance- so, regardless the tree is doomed? I have left it alone since I worked on it this spring, besides watering and feeding. Ever since I had potential needle cast showing up I've been watering a bit less as well. Fooling around with the tree in the hope that it will magically spring to life is a sure formula for disaster. I don't plan on fooling around here, my first and foremost concern is health, and acting based on what more experienced folks like yourself suggest.

Martin- I followed your suggestions. Have your survival rates been favorable in the past?

Thanks,
Evan

JBPbore (1).jpgJBPbore (2).jpgJBPbore (3).jpg

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
evmibo,

I have never had a tree die from pine tip borers. I can see buds opening at the base of the dead candle in your first picture. It appears to me that your tree is fine and simply needs to do its thing to replace the dead tips.

I usually get 1 attack per year. I don't know about Florida bugs, so your results may be different.

Regards,
Martin

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bayer makes a product that is a systemic insecticide. I use it twice a year, and it prevents shoot borders.

Get some and apply it now. It's called Tree and Shrub Control. Or something similar.

You will get adventitious buds to replace the damaged ones.

Just think of it as a natural decandling!

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In post #6, the first picture, I see at least two buds emerging below the area the moth larvae killed off. This will not kill the tree but cause back-budding below the damage.

I've had shoot tip moths before (an Ohio variety) ... I removed all infested tips, and then began a spring spray cycle to eradicate the young larvae. After I was diligent with my pines through the spray cycles, I did not have recurrence the following year.

Timing is critical ... consult various web sites to find a chem you can use and follow the spray intervals. One possible source of info: http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/fidls/nantucket/nantucket.htm

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I appreciate the advice, everyone. It was definitely shoot borers. I removed all of the affected shoots (about 10). The three pictures show the middle shoot from the original picture.

Vance- so, regardless the tree is doomed? I have left it alone since I worked on it this spring, besides watering and feeding. Ever since I had potential needle cast showing up I've been watering a bit less as well. Fooling around with the tree in the hope that it will magically spring to life is a sure formula for disaster. I don't plan on fooling around here, my first and foremost concern is health, and acting based on what more experienced folks like yourself suggest.

Martin- I followed your suggestions. Have your survival rates been favorable in the past?

Thanks,
Evan

View attachment 36403View attachment 36402View attachment 36401

The comment "fooling around" was not a reference to reckless endeavor but almost anything including fertilization that someone can imagine to imploy. Simply: Leave the tree alone Period. All that you can possibly do has been done, anything else will most likely be disastrous.

Is the tree a hopeless case???? I don't know for sure but I do know if what you do from this point on is not carried out with a good deal of discretion and care---- not to do anything other than watch that it is not over watered you will lose the tree.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Would love to see that post Brian. Thanks for the advice/help everyone.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My mugo had caterpillars that ate couple of the candles. They also spun some sort of webbing to enclose themselves with the older foliage. Not sure what they were but they are dead now. :D

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Top Bottom