Some Carve and Burn on KH

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very little bronze when they opened up in spring. It may be like you are saying about the stage of the development compared to the younger one.
But... What about the hairy twigs.
Either way I'm happy with the trees characteristics. It seems to be recovering from the carving incident. If it is a C. turczaninovii it should be a bit more vigorous than KH.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Been using guy wire to move a couple of branches but they seem to spring back so I'm going to try something different.
I've done notch bends on hornbeam before with good results mid summer.
I saw 2/3 the way through and then clean the edges. I use wire for support then seal with green cut paste and grafting tape. This time I'll put two notches on each branch. If they fail I'm hoping a bud will pop at the next internode down the branch.
The eye poker has to go!
20200329_120224.jpg20200329_121359.jpg20200329_122850.jpg20200329_124129.jpg20200114_124318.jpg
20200330_140309.jpg

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Masterpiece
Reaction score
it doesnt look like its growing much mate.
i never did like air baskets, they dry out far too quickly on my balcony. usually resulting in die back, looks like whats happening here
hornbeams like a bit of moisture. the slightest drought and it shows in the leaves. your soil looks very free but doesnt look like it holds much moisture, coupled with the air basket. maybe im misjudging

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
it doesnt look like its growing much mate.
i never did like air baskets, they dry out far too quickly on my balcony. usually resulting in die back, looks like whats happening here
hornbeams like a bit of moisture. the slightest drought and it shows in the leaves. your soil looks very free but doesnt look like it holds much moisture, coupled with the air basket. maybe im misjudging
Maybe its the climate difference. My hornbeam usually open up late. I probably should have put it in a smaller particle size. I still have time to do it. Thanks for the advice. Might be easier to stay on top of the watering .
I pulled it out of the big Anderson flat and trimmed it back because I'm moving in a couple months. Well at least that's the plan.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
barrosinc When to carve?? Shari, jins and deadwood 10
GailC When to carve apple? Fruiting 9
Lars Grimm Repot or carve first? New to Bonsai 10
Tona Learning to carve Shari, jins and deadwood 23
Tieball Elm carve ...... Smooth or rough cavern? Higher carve? Elms 13
Derek91 When to carve azalea? Shari, jins and deadwood 22
M Stub and carve or cut flush? Pines 24
sikadelic How to Carve Trees General Discussion 19
Poink88 When is the best time to carve? (jin, shari, uro) Shari, jins and deadwood 8
M Acer palmatum, sun burn ? General Discussion 8
Warpig Leaf burn decay Maples 8
SU2 Hoping to learn about annealing, specifically how many times I can anneal copper & alum, and whether I can burn-off plastic insulation! General Discussion 4
Mayank JBP freeze burn? Pines 39
cheap_walmart_art Winter Burn Woes. New to Bonsai 9
Josiana Nitrogen burn? General Discussion 14
Lazylightningny Japanese maple late season leaf burn Maples 9
Cosmos Sun burn on new needles? - young larch (laricina) Other Conifers 22
MrWunderful Does Organic fertilizer burn freshly repotted bonsai Soil and fertilizer (incl water and repotting) 21
U Check Out This Cool Coast Live Oak With Burn Scars Other Deciduous 3
sorce The Burn Pile. Newbie Graduation. New to Bonsai 56
just.wing.it Leaf Scorch or Fert Burn? Elms 18
thumblessprimate1 Fertilizer Burn on JBP? General Discussion 4
Cadillactaste Dealing with leaf burn...how far from a dryer vent for relocation Flowering 7
D Acer buergerianum (Trident Maple) Leaf Burn ?? Maples 11
J Burn Spots? General Discussion 7
Paulkellum Sun burn please help Other Deciduous 2
Nybonsai12 Fertilizer Burn only from chemical ferts or organics too? General Discussion 5
P Fertilizer Burn--possible repot Maples 13
remist17 Can you post some leaf burn photos? General Discussion 18
Y Wind burn General Discussion 7
Top Bottom