Some collected "Eastern" trees to discuss

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tom,
Those yews are all the hybrid cross of English (baccata) and Japanese ( cuspidata) yews. All female I believe. Wards (or "Wardii")
Taxus X media var "wardii"
The thing I like most about them is that most have a single tapering trunk without all those shoots coming up like a hanful of fingers from the same spot like many varieties do. I have found a few double trunks also, but rare.
Dale

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love yew bonsai and those from Europe with all the deadwood are very inspiring. These should make some outstanding trees. I wonder why yews never caught on out west? Don't see them much out here. Not even in the nurseries. Podacarpus and Buddah pine, but no yew.

As I understand it, Yews were prised for their wood to make bows for defence. It is said that they were planted in hedge rows all over Europe. It is many of these that are now taken for bonsai. The waring parties soon found that their yew plants would be pilliged, so they began planting them around churches. They felt that no one would steal them there. Maybe someone from Europe could shed more light on the history of the yew.

Regards, Al

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is the one I mentioned earlier that I just cut back the other day.
Originally collected about 3 years ago for workshop/demo material and heavily root pruned and cut back at that time with hedge clippers to start backbudding.
Here it is after first serious cutbacks for bonsai styling. About one more year in this box and some back budding and wire and we'll be ready for a bonsai pot.
Only one piece of wire used so far, on top to pull it to over trunk better.
Several branch stubs left for carving.
Boards behind are 4" across.
Dale

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yews were prised for their wood to make bows for defence. It is said that they were planted in hedge rows all over Europe. It is many of these that are now taken for bonsai. The waring parties soon found that their yew plants would be pilliged, so they began planting them around churches. They felt that no one would steal them there. Maybe someone from Europe could shed more light on the history of the yew.
Al, yews were much more than material for defense. Before the Christians the pagans worshiped these trees. Since none of our European brothers have chimed in I would suggest this link

This book on yews is in my reference library and I enjoyed the read very much offers a full spectrum of info.

Last edited:

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can't wait to see the future of this tree Dale. It is indeed rare to see one of this shape, definitely not cookie cutter. This is not meant in a bad way btw, please keep us up to date with this puppy.

Top Bottom