Some color on my bougie

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Most of mine are blooming now, just when they had to come inside.:(
Is that an issue? It'll continue flowering for a bit and run out of juice? I've gotten gro lights this year so hoping it'll help.
Anyway my wisteria outside hasn't flowered for 15 years since we put in near a trellis 🤪

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Is that an issue? It'll continue flowering for a bit and run out of juice? I've gotten gro lights this year so hoping it'll help.
Anyway my wisteria outside hasn't flowered for 15 years since we put in near a trellis 🤪
Root prune that Wisteria 360° one spade deep, 12 to 24" from the crown every year until it does. They need to be rootbound, or run out of room to grow, or some advanced age to bloom.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Root prune that Wisteria 360° one spade deep, 12 to 24" from the crown every year until it does. They need to be rootbound, or run out of room to grow, or some advanced age to bloom.
When to root prune? Spring? Did it one time years ago. Nothing happened so I gave up. Now I'll keep doing it until it gives up!!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When to root prune? Spring? Did it one time years ago. Nothing happened so I gave up. Now I'll keep doing it until it gives up!!
Once a year, anytime, like now.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have grow lights also, which does help, but my biggest one is just coloring up nicely and it would bloom much better if it was outside.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
zcZfwT.jpg

Mine just came inside today. Supposed to have a frost tonight so had to do the mad scramble to clear a spot for all the tropicals today. Bougie sure had a has had a ton of color the past month or so now.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Barbara Karst has just started blooming. It came inside about 2 weeks ago and is under 4 x 4' t-5 6400 k lights. I barely touched it all all this summer so when blooming is over it will get a hard trim. One picture is under lights in current position and other is on steps leading up from basement. The one very long branch has about 40 flowers at least but most are just forming. I apologize for mediocre picture quality. 266742266743

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Love the root system on that one there penumbra.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the root system on that one there penumbra.
Thank you. Yeah, the roots are pretty sexy. It has potential.

BTW, I think Alan Watts was amazing. "Cloud Hidden, Whereabouts Unknown" was a life changer for me.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
BTW, I think Alan Watts was amazing. "Cloud Hidden, Whereabouts Unknown" was a life changer for me.

I've been a big fan of his work for about the past 20 yrs now. His whole outlook on life is something that I can really relate to. Some of his stuff just really hit home with me because I started reading it right after I made the decesion to leave a good paying job to start up my own busines building custom fly rods. Less money but it was doing what I loved which is something he spoke much about. I find his books very much enjoyable. Currently I'm reading "The spirit of zen". I will say one thing about him though, his books are vastly more relatable than his dvd lectures. About a year or two ago I purchased one of his lectures on dvd. It was a bit...."out there" I guess would describe it best. Some parts of it were really good, but then some other parts were just way out there.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Unreal how a bougie drops it's leaves in a change. Today, maybe 50 leaves left on it lol

@Carol 83 yours do that too after bringing inside?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Unreal how a bougie drops it's leaves in a change. Today, maybe 50 leaves left on it lol

@Carol 83 yours do that too after bringing inside?
Oh yeah. The big one was just about to bloom, and it threw nearly all of it's leaves to the floor in a snit. :mad: The other's to a lesser degree, but they all lost some leaves.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If they don't drop their leaves, how do you defoliate a Bougainvillea? Do you use shears or just pull the petiole?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cut them off at the base of the leaf, leaving the petiole on the branch. There is a bud(s) in the axil of the petiole.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
If they don't drop their leaves, how do you defoliate a Bougainvillea? Do you use shears or just pull the petiole?
Mine generally defoliate themselves, when brought inside. Surprisingly, my latest from @Zach Smith hasn't dropped a single leaf. They must make them tougher in Louisiana than Florida!

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Mine generally defoliate themselves, when brought inside. Surprisingly, my latest from @Zach Smith hasn't dropped a single leaf. They must make them tougher in Louisiana than Florida!
That's interesting. I just got my daughter her first tree (a bougie) about two weeks ago. It was in a greenhouse-ish area at the bonsai nursery and maybe that's why when it came home they didn't drop? I'm trying to learn about them so I don't kill it and can teach her with it.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
That's interesting. I just got my daughter her first tree (a bougie) about two weeks ago. It was in a greenhouse-ish area at the bonsai nursery and maybe that's why when it came home they didn't drop? I'm trying to learn about them so I don't kill it and can teach her with it.
That may be. Not going from full outdoors, to suddenly indoors. I am by no means an expert, but have learned a bit over the last few years. They are pretty tough, but overwatering is their kryptonite. Learned that lesson the hard way:(. The ones that dropped their leaves are already bouncing back. Nice that you're daughter is interested in the hobby. And good choice with the bougie, because flowers! :)

Top Bottom