Some companion plants my wife made for bonsai displays

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
I work on bonsai trees and my wife focuses on her little kusamono, and that works out very well for the two of us. Whenever I have a display or at our Houston Bonsai Society shows, she provides companion plants. These are some she made and brought to the Society meeting last night when Danny Corffey was in town doing a critique on bonsai displays. A lot of interactions, discussions and hands on with Danny, we had a blast! Thanks Danny and Scott for arranging the visiting artist !

Mixed planting in a Vicki Chamberlain pot:

IMG_8195-001.JPG

Inland Sea Oats, a Texas native:

IMG_8219.JPG

Star of Bethlehem and Ajuga "Chocolate Chip' on moss ball (kokedama) in a sushi saucer:

IMG_8222.JPG

Her kusamono is quite distinctive with a combination of several weeds and mosses to create a meadow scene. She had used 16 kinds of plants in one of her lava rock kusamono before. Some people told us her meadow creation is very distinct from what we normally see in
Japanese kusamono. Her signature?

IMG_8240.JPG

She likes the following angle better, the meadow is mostly hidden by the broken pot. A junk yard spring.

IMG_8236.JPG
This Annual Bluegrass, a weed many people would kill when it appears in their lawn, in a John Cannon's pot.

IMG_8246.JPG

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful. She has sensitivity and understanding of naturalness and simple beauty. Everyone should learn how to do this before worrying too much about how to chainsaw hack and cowboy-crack tree trunks. Their trees would be all the better for it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't been so excited to click a thread since the last Maria Kapra Shohin update!

Big fan!

Boy did you luck out!
The perfect companion!

Beyond Lovely!

Great photos too!

I would totally buy the book!

Sorce

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Amazing, easy to gaze at for long time.
Thanks, Judy. She put out a group display of "Texas Backyard" in the 2013 Lone Star State show, with curious mischievous Siamese cats and a broken porcelain jar on top of a piece of Llanite rock, a unique granite speckled with blue quartz, found only in Llano, Texas. Hopefully, more shows will accept displays consisting of only kusamono rather than delegating them to the second fiddle.

IMG_5798.JPG

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
I haven't been so excited to click a thread since the last Maria Kapra Shohin update!

Big fan!

Boy did you luck out!
The perfect companion!

Beyond Lovely!

Great photos too!

I would totally buy the book!

Sorce
Sorce, she makes a lot of kusamono yet they take up only 3 tables in our backyard. I took these photos with a point-and-shoot and the little set up with two lights we talked about may be a year ago, and you like the white background.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the tiny watering can!

And that pink one is great!

More please!

Sorce

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your wife has fabulous talent, skill and creative vision......and probably practices a lot of patience around you.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks, Judy. She put out a group display of "Texas Backyard" in the 2013 Lone Star State show, with curious mischievous Siamese cats and a broken porcelain jar on top of a piece of Llanite rock, a unique granite speckled with blue quartz, found only in Llano, Texas. Hopefully, more shows will accept displays consisting of only kusamono rather than delegating them to the second fiddle.

View attachment 134461
This is awesome! She is not only super talented artist, but has a sense of whimsy and humor, something I think we could use a little more of sometimes...

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Love the tiny watering can!

And that pink one is great!

More please!

Sorce
Sorce,
A few more from last Wednesday's club meeting with Danny Coffey critiqing on bonsai displays. She made them for our good friends Vern Maddox and Pete Parker to use in their displays, and they have been taking good care of them.

IMG_4665.JPG IMG_4668.JPG IMG_4669.JPG

These two were from last year's bonsai show, one on lava rock, the other in a sake cup. Potos taken by May Lau of Austin Bonsai Society.

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1656.JPG

I will dig out more photos to share if you like to see more.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That lava rock planting is excellent!
I like the natural rockscape appearance of the planting. Very earthy. Very natural. It has its own grounding to the table surface.
Mighty talented!

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
That lava rock planting is excellent!
I like the natural rockscape appearance of the planting. Very earthy. Very natural. It has its own grounding to the table surface.
Mighty talented!
Sorce, I will tell her.
Thanks for liking her lava rock plantings. She made this lava rock planting with 16 kinds of plants as a companion plant for my ficus display at last year's 5th US National. To her surprise, she won the finest companion plant award. This is a head on shot.
IMG_6712-001.JPG

It was displayed at an angle to the tree. Oscar Jonker of Bonsai Empire took this beautiful shot.
IMG_5605.JPG

She and her idol, Young Choe, who needs no introduction. She admires her and was thrilled to meet her for the first time. Very very talented and a nice lady.
IMG_6911-001.JPG

She created this landscape kusamono and used it in our Chinese bonsai show. The theme carries a legend the Chinese would readily recognize. It is about a lost fisherman upon emerging form a cave, found s Shangrila. I wrote a blog about the story
https://bonsaipenjing.wordpress.com/2016/11/09/a-landscape-kusamono-on-lace-rock/

Houston Chinese Bonsai Society Show 2014-014.jpg Houston Chinese Bonsai Society Show 2014-015.jpg Houston Chinese Bonsai Society Show 2014-017.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does your wife do commission work? This would be good to know for some of us who are "accent challenged" when shows are on the horizon. :D
I'm a big fan!

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Does your wife do commission work? This would be good to know for some of us who are "accent challenged" when shows are on the horizon. :D
I'm a big fan!
She does not but when our local club friends ask her to make companion plants for their displays at show, she always oblige. Let me know ahead when you need one and I will ask her.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorce, I will tell her.
Thanks for liking her lava rock plantings. She made this lava rock planting with 16 kinds of plants as a companion plant for my ficus display at last year's 5th US National. To her surprise, she won the finest companion plant award. This is a head on shot.
View attachment 135404

It was displayed at an angle to the tree. Oscar Jonker of Bonsai Empire took this beautiful shot.
View attachment 135401

She and her idol, Young Choe, who needs no introduction. She admires her and was thrilled to meet her for the first time. Very very talented and a nice lady.
View attachment 135405

She created this landscape kusamono and used it in our Chinese bonsai show. The theme carries a legend the Chinese would readily recognize. It is about a lost fisherman upon emerging form a cave, found s Shangrila. I wrote a blog about the story
https://bonsaipenjing.wordpress.com/2016/11/09/a-landscape-kusamono-on-lace-rock/

View attachment 135407 View attachment 135408 View attachment 135409
I really like this. Wonderful creative touch, imagination and execution. Definitely an award winner! Well done Soon.....well deserved award. I read the story you wrote....nicely written.

Top Bottom