Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
In order of collection:
Yardadori Picea pungens. I dug this from a bad spot in my yard in 2020. It was too close to my willows, so shaded, choked by roots, and deprived of rainfall. It's in a big pot that I begged off my neighbors:) The new growth is at the same stage as the successful blue spruce in my yard, so I'm happy with that. Proposed plan: Stay in the current pot this year. When the new growth has hardened off, start some branch selection, reduce the height of the tree. Shape-wise it's a hot mess.
Picea pungens.jpg

Yamadori Pinus edulis. Collected in 2020. I'm very happy to see this little guy pushing out candles. Proposed plan: Stay in the current pot. When this new growth has hardened off wire the crossing branch so it isn't crossing.
Pinus edulis.jpg

Yamadori Pinus ponderosa. Collected in 2020. Needles extending. This isn't spectacular growth, but is it proof of life and it's consistent with how this little tree was growing in its mountain home. Proposed plan: Stay in Anderson flat, fertilize, hope for current "root shoe" to become more of a root ball. To that end I make sure to water the whole flat as if roots were filling it.
Pinus ponderosa.jpg

Yamadori Pseudotsuga menzeisii. Collected 2021. This is pushing out new growth maybe a week behind the one in my landscape. Proposed plan: No changes for this year, just lots of water, sun, and fertilizer.
Pseudotsuga menziesii.jpg

I need to create an outdoor photo space so that I can get full tree shots without doing contortions. Task for another day:)

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
017.JPG
My first tree, the blue spruce. I dug this up from my yard last summer and popped it into a big plastic pot, just using what was available at the time. As situated in the ground, the left side of this view was facing north, and the bottom straight section of the trunk was vertical. As the tree grew, or tried to, it leaned to the south and put on all that fluffy growth on the top right.
Here are some more views:
018.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG
The tree is about 3' tall and wide, and I can almost kind of move it with a hand truck.
If it's OK to reduce the top AND repot in and Anderson flat, I'll do both. If it can only sustain one insult this summer, I'll reduce the top. A few of the little previously north-side branches didn't put on extensions, but otherwise growth was well distributed. I am open to suggestions.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Next up, little Pinus edulis I collected in 2020.
003.JPG
Its tallest branch reaches around from the back. The only thing I'm planning to do this year is wire that branch so it isn't crossing. I'll wait until the new growth is hardened off.
002.JPG

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Pinus ponderosa 1. Collected in 2020.
20210617_084037.jpg
In this view the trunk is leaning slightly toward the viewer.
20210617_083819.jpg
Trunk leans slightly away from the viewer, and the right side curves toward the viewer. The original root mass is under the two little fert covers. The brown tip farthest left is deer damage from an April snow.
011.JPG
009.JPG
20210617_084128.jpg

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Pseudotsuga menzeisii, Doug fir. This guy was just collected in April, so the only thing happening for now is water and fertilizer. There's a potential future twin trunk in there.
20210617_082911.jpg

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Potentilla fruticosa (Dasiphora fruticosa). Collected at the same time as the little Dougie above. I hadn't planned to get a potentilla, but the person I was collecting with insisted that it was a ninebark so I dug it up. Where I got this guy there are bazillions of them, but no danger of finding one with any "wood." This one had a dozen dead canes that I clipped out. It has low budding on several of the canes, and I wonder if I could clip it way back and have just a small companion pland rather that trying for a tree. About 12" tall currently.

20210625_163234.jpg
20210625_163258.jpg

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I collected this little cache grouping thinking they were blue spruce. Blue, single needles, not too far from mature blue spruces.... They were growing in duff under a ponderous ponderosa, 13' circumference, with long low branches.
Cache Group 8-30.jpg
A few days ago I noticed that 4 of the 5 seedlings had the beginnings of branches.
Cache Group 8-30 buds.jpg
This morning I noticed that a couple of the little "spruces" had popped out a few 2-needle bundles.
Cache Group 8-30 needle bundle.jpg
So not spruce. Pinus edulis?? That's my current ID guess. The three on the left are almost braided, so I guess I'll untangle their trunks. None of them are straight, very flexible right now. I think if I wired them now, other than what's needed to untangle the 3, it would be a long time before they would hold the shape. O-pinyons on that??
2020 collection 8-30-2021.jpg
Here's the Pinus edulis I collected a year ago, with its new little needles all extended.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ponderosa #1, collected in 2020. This tree has filled the Anderson flat with roots and every little twig has a wee candle. These are not going to candles for big growth, but they will increase the plumage on the little tree.
IMG_2941.JPG
I think this will be the front. The trunk exits the soil moving slightly toward the viewer. Most of the growth reaches toward the viewer, and this is the best view of the trunks.
IMG_2943_1.JPG
Again.
IMG_2942.JPG
Maybe the back of the tree. It is planted in this position in the flat because of the original roots, which extend toward the left front corner in this pic.

Given my extremely dry conditions and severe watering restrictions this year, I am planning to keep this tree in the Anderson flat. This fall I will take away the fertilizer, hoping for short needles next year.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good looking native conifers :)

Have you considered just utilizing the left trunk on that ponderosa in the Anderson flat? Seems to me that left trunk has nice movement while the right trunk is a little straight. Just something to think about :)

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good looking native conifers :)

Have you considered just utilizing the left trunk on that ponderosa in the Anderson flat? Seems to me that left trunk has nice movement while the right trunk is a little straight. Just something to think about :)
I like this idea! It would be easier to imagine this little tree in a pot without the long right extension. I think I would chop at the red line, which would leave the little stub branch marked in blue. Is there a right time of the year to make such a chop?
IMG_2941_LI.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good idea folks!
I’ve got a similar Ponderosa abs have been thinking the very same thing.
Cheers
DSD sends

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mountain Mahogany - Cercocarpus montanus, collected in 2021 in Colorado.
2022 6-11 2.JPG2022 6-11.JPG
This will be the first summer of its life that is has adequate water, pest control, and no grazing. For this year my plan is to just let it grow. I'm happy to see it blooming!

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My triple trunk aspen, collected in 2021.
2022 6-11.JPG2022 6-11 2.JPG
Again, its first summer with adequate water, pest control, and no grazing. For this one also its first summer in full sun:) I have removed a few crossing twigs, otherwise just letting it grow for this year.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Quercus gambelii, collected in 2021. Not a spectacular specimen, I know. Where I collect, there is a nice dense stand of these growing in a rock shelf. They are regularly browsed. There are some rugged trunks, but would be impossible to collect. This one was in the grass about 100 yds away from the parent trees. The top never leafed out and appears dead down to where I chopped it. The trunk has sent out sprouts in the same location before. I reduced the number of sprouts, hoping a couple of them will take over and thrive. Maybe I should take the middle one out too?
IMG_2954.JPGIMG_2957.JPGIMG_2958.JPG
Nothing for scale in the pic, but that's a 1 gallon nursery can.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ribes cereum, Wax Currant. Collected in Colorado in 2021. This guy was growing in a depression in a granite boulder, was easy to dig up. It spent the winter without protection, against the north side of my house. This spring it bloomed profusely, though only a few blooms were fertilized. This is what it looked like this morning:
IMG_2960.JPG
Growing well, branching nicely, roots peeking out of the drain holes in that pot.
I decided to repot into a size "B" hex from Weigerts, a little smaller and more shallow. Also pruned it up. After these initial efforts:
IMG_2962.JPG
I decided that branch on the left with the long bud-less section had to go. What it looks like now:
IMG_2965.JPG
I think the branch nearest the center needs to go next. Any suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_2964.JPG
    IMG_2964.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2965.JPG
    IMG_2965.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 9

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I wired 4 branches into lower positions, clipped back as many.
IMG_2972.JPG
This is the buggiest tree in my small collection! I gave it another spray of insecticidal soap and popped it under the bench for a few days of shade.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
A sneak peek at Ponderosa #2, collected in 2021.
20220717_065626.jpg
Its root situation dictated planting at this angel. When it has fully recovered I would like to plant it at the angle at which it was growing in the rock. Tipped a little towards the viewer and to the right, so the foliage is mostly parallel to the horizon. The little tree has fat white roots escaping from the bottom of the flat. This year it put on 5-10 little needle bundles on each growing tip. That's normal growth for these stunted pines; it has grown to this size on that plan. I hope to repot next year.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Aspen Update:
May 4 in bloom.

2023 5-4.jpg

Today.
2023 5-20 1.jpg
It's a girl!
2023 5-20 2.jpg
Base of the little tree. The branch to the right will be the first to go.
2023 5-20 4.jpg

Attachments

• 2023 5-20 3.jpg
    2023 5-20 3.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom