Some general advice dawn redwood forest

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi

I’m new to bonsai and have been gathering a few cheap plants from my local nursery. I came across this dawn redwood forest and was attracted to the front tree with the slightly bent base of the trunk.

The rest of the forest seems very congested at the top and very little trunk showing. Some of the trees have long branches that have obviously grown this year.

questions I have for the more experienced are

Can I prune this at this time of year, and should I aim for the classic conicle shape around the outline of the forest by reducing the height of some of the trees.

I assume getting light into the branches is also key to a healthy forest.

what else should I be doing at this stage with this little group And what should I be considering next spring etc.

Finally anyone in the UK keeping these, if so do you keep them out all winter.

Attachments

• C30BC5BE-768C-4FCA-A8A9-0142A5E7A165.jpeg
    C30BC5BE-768C-4FCA-A8A9-0142A5E7A165.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 150
  • FD08BCF9-14DD-49F7-A675-3000B9349D1E.jpeg
    FD08BCF9-14DD-49F7-A675-3000B9349D1E.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 6512DEAB-AE80-410E-B990-BFF19431776C.jpeg
    6512DEAB-AE80-410E-B990-BFF19431776C.jpeg
    329.8 KB · Views: 113

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quite interesting. I also have one of these dawn redwood forests, and like you I am a beginner. So let's wait for someone else......

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And I'm curious, so I'll give a bump to stay on the first page!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You absolutely can and should be pruning D Redwood this time of year. Look for a caramel colored bud closest to the trunk to cut back to. Mine stay out all winter in zone 6

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m in Zone 5, I bury the pot in November and didn’t dig it out until the end of March this last year.

Nice looking group of dawns. I’m by no means an authority but I have seen branches shaded out on my group planting. I did an early summer pruning, just looking for branches that would eventually cross or are otherwise be a problem. I’ll likely end up doing a late season prune as well, probably next month.

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I cut back some of the growth and can see al, the trees have upright growing branches. Question is how do I turn this little lot into more tree like structures.

also why do some of the branches have single long leaves and then change to the more heron bone shape.

looking for some guidance on how to improve this little group.

Attachments

• 8BE00247-15B4-4E66-9FC2-228258415D62.jpeg
    8BE00247-15B4-4E66-9FC2-228258415D62.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 3BB5560A-BD25-4C1A-B2E7-0D6111241BEF.jpeg
    3BB5560A-BD25-4C1A-B2E7-0D6111241BEF.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 56E1AD41-A01A-4891-8DFB-4244C77C32A0.jpeg
    56E1AD41-A01A-4891-8DFB-4244C77C32A0.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 64
  • A71F2423-08BF-482D-8B18-27370203FABD.jpeg
    A71F2423-08BF-482D-8B18-27370203FABD.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 64
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wait until the branches turn reddish brown before I prune so they don't fall off in the fall. Sometimes if your pruning green branch leaves you will lose them in fall and have to regrow them in spring.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is much nicer than mine, with much more heronbone leaf structure and far less straight up branches. not sure how I get mine to that.

The lack of "herringbone" branches in favor of upright growth is likely due to new growth after the chops. Redwoods are apical dominant. Most new growth after a chop will tend to be upright as the tree works to establish a new leader. They want to get above the crowds! You can wire the growth you want to be branches (herringbone growth) horizontal and it will often convert. The young joint may be brittle though...wire with care!

The reverse is also true. Wire a branch so the tip is up and it will sometimes convert. Sometimes it will stunt though. It partly depends on how strong the tree is. This is from a much larger, stronger tree that has never been chopped.

20210713_204447.jpg

I'm not sure if it's a good illustration or not :( But the lower growth on that branch that is horizontal/weeping is what I believe you're referring to as herringbone growth. The closer you look to the branch tip...which is growing more vertical...the more the growth pattern changes.

You might just let it do it's thing the rest of this season. Wait to early spring. By early spring, it should be clear which growth is going to die back...there will likely be some...prune that and prune back to the leader you want to keep. These back bud profusely! With a new leader from go, you should get more branches next season.

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The lack of "herringbone" branches in favor of upright growth is likely due to new growth after the chops. Redwoods are apical dominant. Most new growth after a chop will tend to be upright as the tree works to establish a new leader. They want to get above the crowds! You can wire the growth you want to be branches (herringbone growth) horizontal and it will often convert. The young joint may be brittle though...wire with care!

The reverse is also true. Wire a branch so the tip is up and it will sometimes convert. Sometimes it will stunt though. It partly depends on how strong the tree is. This is from a much larger, stronger tree that has never been chopped.

View attachment 386233

I'm not sure if it's a good illustration or not :( But the lower growth on that branch that is horizontal/weeping is what I believe you're referring to as herringbone growth. The closer you look to the branch tip...which is growing more vertical...the more the growth pattern changes.

You might just let it do it's thing the rest of this season. Wait to early spring. By early spring, it should be clear which growth is going to die back...there will likely be some...prune that and prune back to the leader you want to keep. These back bud profusely! With a new leader from go, you should get more branches next season.
Thank you for that, my forest is still vey young and has been chopped by the looks of things. All my branches are growing vertical and are quite thick and green they do not bend much and forcing them horizontal to the trunk will snap them I’m sure. I will let it grow out this year and see what I have in March next year to work with.

Maw

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is much nicer than mine, with much more heronbone leaf structure and far less straight up branches. not sure how I get mine to that.
I selected one branch(leader) to work with for almost al of the trunks. Still much work to do. But start there! Nigel saunders has a movie of how he started with his dawn redwood
. Its the second half of the video. The first part is about the sequoias

Maw

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you for that, my forest is still vey young and has been chopped by the looks of things. All my branches are growing vertical and are quite thick and green they do not bend much and forcing them horizontal to the trunk will snap them I’m sure. I will let it grow out this year and see what I have in March next year to work with.
they bend when brown. Never whire or bend green branches because they grow way to fast

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
we have had a lot of wet weather recently and this is how my forest is currently. Some new branches have been sprouting and the top as thickened up again.

Attachments

• 78F2D7C4-E1B0-4FEB-91EC-3A80C1DCB472.jpeg
    78F2D7C4-E1B0-4FEB-91EC-3A80C1DCB472.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 78

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Moving to Autumn

Attachments

• 5E94B257-52E5-4D7B-9385-03B75077555F.jpeg
    5E94B257-52E5-4D7B-9385-03B75077555F.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 60

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well my redwoods look like they survived winter.

Attachments

• 1CE5FE03-1474-4B4D-A46B-C326A2404889.jpeg
    1CE5FE03-1474-4B4D-A46B-C326A2404889.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 60

IsaM

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep, I'm in London and have a 15 tree Redwood forest. I leave them outside all year with relatively limited/no protection.

Given we get lots of late frosts it's likely the leaves will go a light brown colour at some point in the next couple of months - don't do what I did the first year I owned these and fear they are dying, it's just the impact of the cold on spring growth.

I love mine, they are extremely low maintenance and you can cut them back hard as and when needed. Key is they like their roots wet, much wetter than 90% of other trees. Good luck with the progression!

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep, I'm in London and have a 15 tree Redwood forest. I leave them outside all year with relatively limited/no protection.

Given we get lots of late frosts it's likely the leaves will go a light brown colour at some point in the next couple of months - don't do what I did the first year I owned these and fear they are dying, it's just the impact of the cold on spring growth.

I love mine, they are extremely low maintenance and you can cut them back hard as and when needed. Key is they like their roots wet, much wetter than 90% of other trees. Good luck with the progression!

i am not sure what I would like to do with this little group. Last year they looked really wild when they were growing and then lost all of it during winter. I can find very little in the way of images or videos on developing a dw forest.

Top Bottom