Some Help Needed

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So unless I've experienced a problem myself and had to deal with it, I'm not familiar with all the diseases and other things that can go wrong with JBPs. This pic is from a friends JBP that I told him I would post here for info concerning what it is , what might have caused it and what to do about it. I'm assuming it's some kind of blight or needle rust?
IMG_0988.JPG

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got some of this on my black pine as well. This does not seem to have any impact on the tree. I don't know what cause it but I don't it is a cause of concern. I have seen some that make the needles turn light brown and seem to spread much more readily. I have lost trees to that but not the one shown in your pic. Wish I know more but that is all I have observed from my couple dozen black pines.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think it isn't needlecast. I think it's nutrient burn.

Needlecast creates bands, bands that occur on random locations on the needles, bands that sometimes have a spot in the center where the fungus penetrated the needle at first. If you've seen it, you'll know it.
When a plant gets a little too much salts in the system, the foliage tips tend to 'burn' in an even fashion throughout the entire plant. This can't be restored in the sense that these tips turn green again, but it can be stopped from spreading by easing up on the nutrients. This isn't a JBP specific issue, all plants seem to have the same response to salt stress.
Other root issues can have similar effects, but we don't know the history of this tree nor do we know its conditions. It's spring time, so I'm going with the most likely explanation.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks nutrient burn to me also....so much salts that water is constricted from being absorbed into the roots.....can be a good thing in a vegetable or somthing as it will make more flavor and sugar and such.........trees not vegetables though lol.

If all their trees in nearly identical volcanic type media with same fertilizer then elimination could say it is something else if this is the only one...
Such as a root fungus( organic fertilizer/media is a bit less reliable in determining similarities as more perameters and varibles in consistency).

Root fungus causes an extreme ph issue on the roots and can be identified in one tree as opposed to a run of the mill deficiency or signs of over fertilization on all the trees of same species in the collection.

long and short ............deficiencies and ec will effect all your trees and a fungus will usually attack one first.
Root pathogens are absolutely everywhere...just do not give them what they need to surive .

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ahh this is all coming back to me now.........if one tree....it got too dry possibly once ..........
as one of my starter pines had it.........I dediced it got dry once as maybe I skipped a watering and did not realize.Could not figure why just one of my trees had this!!!

Top Bottom