Some Indoor Annealing

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Stripped some spare wire today....some 20 ga thin stuff and some 12 ga.
Sometimes I heat and cool twice.
20200411_073442.jpg20200411_073936.jpg20200411_074908.jpg20200411_080040.jpg20200411_080924.jpg20200411_083329.jpg

Attachments

• 20200411_080040.jpg
    20200411_080040.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200411_074908.jpg
    20200411_074908.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200411_073442.jpg
    20200411_073442.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200411_073936.jpg
    20200411_073936.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 5

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the rapid cooling in water has effects on the hardening. I have only noticed differences between long annealing on the bbq compared to the blow torch and it makes a world of difference. I suck at blow torching, thats for sure. I'd make a terrible pyromaniac.
Cooling the copper down rapidly seems to induce shrinking, which could potentially harden the copper a bit more compared to slow cooling.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm wondering if the rapid cooling in water has effects on the hardening. I have only noticed differences between long annealing on the bbq compared to the blow torch and it makes a world of difference. I suck at blow torching, thats for sure. I'd make a terrible pyromaniac.
Cooling the copper down rapidly seems to induce shrinking, which could potentially harden the copper a bit more compared to slow cooling.
I've done it like this before and it seems to work very well.
Wire is super soft, but hardens when bent.....I like it!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Also, I do it twice sometimes, if it doesnt seem soft enough after the first go round.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've been annealing wire for many years( scrounged from electrician friends on construction sites) always plunged into water with no problems, doing so releases the scale that occurs during annealing

Never tried the stove! wife may object, I've used a gas barbecue a few times but mostly build a small fire and toss the the coils directly on top, pull them out when they're glowing and then quench

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've been annealing wire for many years( scrounged from electrician friends on construction sites) always plunged into water with no problems, doing so releases the scale that occurs during annealing

Never tried the stove! wife may object, I've used a gas barbecue a few times but mostly build a small fire and toss the the coils directly on top, pull them out when they're glowing and then quench
I prefer the barbecue, leave till glowing red and then set in bucket of water! works very well. Prefer to do my 14 gauge and 16 gauge for developmental use, because for developing trees in the nursery I go through so much of these sizes. Save the real good stuff for more refinement type wiring rather than basic movement in young stock.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Bout to throw this roll of 8g on a pile of hot coals in my grill. Tightly bound with steel utility wire for more even heat transfer.
Probably gonna leave it over night to cool down slowly this time.
If it works, this is my new method.

20210116_155556.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bout to throw this roll of 8g on a pile of hot coals in my grill. Tightly bound with steel utility wire for more even heat transfer.
Probably gonna leave it over night to cool down slowly this time.
If it works, this is my new method.

View attachment 349458
It will heat more evenly if loosely bound, believe it or not!
Cooling it more slowly will result in more oxidation and fine black residue on the wire. This is because oxidation of copper occurs much more rapidly at warm temperatures. Longer period of time the wire is hot the more oxidation occurs.
The wire should reach proper annealing temperature throughout and then be cooled faster rather than slower!
For 8 gauge and a coil that size I would suggest you bring it up to 400 degrees celsius or 732 degrees F once at that temperature allow 20 to 30 minutes, then plunge the hot wire in cold water. Use a metal container for the cold water, the wire will burn through rubber or plastic before it cools all the way. Inexpensive choice for this is a galvanized pail or garbage can depending on your coil size.
The best gauge of timing is when the coil is glowing red throughout, so easier to spot if done at night or in a darkened area.

Attachments

• IMG_0480.JPG
    IMG_0480.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 4

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It will heat more evenly if loosely bound, believe it or not!
Cooling it more slowly will result in more oxidation and fine black residue on the wire. This is because oxidation of copper occurs much more rapidly at warm temperatures. Longer period of time the wire is hot the more oxidation occurs.
The wire should reach proper annealing temperature throughout and then be cooled faster rather than slower!
For 8 gauge and a coil that size I would suggest you bring it up to 400 degrees celsius or 732 degrees F once at that temperature allow 20 to 30 minutes, then plunge the hot wire in cold water. Use a metal container for the cold water, the wire will burn through rubber or plastic before it cools all the way. Inexpensive choice for this is a galvanized pail or garbage can depending on your coil size.
The best gauge of timing is when the coil is glowing red throughout, so easier to spot if done at night or in a darkened area.
Hey thanks! Maybe I'll quench it then.
I figured that if the wire was too loose there would be hot spots that may get too hot. But I see your point, thanks!
Should be dark here soon.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
when is it not happy hour? Seems like you are always happy.

How do you guys avoid the wire going brittle? I tried once, and the wire was unusable afterwards.
I anneal my wire in a lump coal smoker. I'll place one coil at a time and arrange the coal around and over the coil.
I usually just wait for a soft red glow, not a bright red. That's why I usually anneal after dark. Much easier to gauge the temp.
Immediately quench in cold water.
And a cold beverage helps!!
And oh by the way, I usually happy cus' I'm retired going on my second year and have more time for my trees!!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

How do you guys avoid the wire going brittle? I tried once, and the wire was unusable afterwards.
The wire did not reach proper temperature throughout. Time at temperature varies due to thickness. Research shows that it takes a lot longer to anneal properly at lower temperatures. There is a great article on Brent Walstons website written by Marty Weiser!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Yes, too hot or too long not sure which.

The only time mine has come out brittle I'd built the fire too big and hot, couldn't get the wire out in a timely manner.

The wire was droopy when I quenched it, my conclusion and subsequent practice has been to pull it as soon as it glows red.

And incidentally, my brittle batch was indeed performed during a happy hour:rolleyes:

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, too hot or too long not sure which.

The only time mine has come out brittle I'd built the fire too big and hot, couldn't get the wire out in a timely manner.

The wire was droopy when I quenched it, my conclusion and subsequent practice has been to pull it as soon as it glows red.

And incidentally, my brittle batch was indeed performed during a happy hour:rolleyes:
If the wire was droopy , you were reaching the melting point. Way too hot and too long. 300 degree Fahrenheit beyond the optimum annealing temperature!

Top Bottom