Some junipers that will be thrown out - need advice

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So the one I was going to grab looked a little too far gone. Over half of it had dead foliage on it. So I grabbed this one. I think it is by far the most interesting of the bunch. I popped my shovel in the ground and it was so soft it literally pried right up. I'm pretty sure I pulled up way too much of the original soil (the bag is pretty much full). I'll remove a bit of it as it goes in it's grow box on Thursday.

IMG_1288.jpg
IMG_1289.jpg
IMG_1290.jpg
IMG_1291.jpg

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
IM IN HOUSTON!!! Are there any more?? Which store????

It was a store out in the Woodlands. There are a couple more, but nowhere near this interesting. One is over half dead and looks like it is on its way out, another has a weird trunk. It literally makes almost a half circle, and one other that I'm not too certain about just yet. I'll be going back later this week for the one I'm not too sure about. If it's decent enough I will send you some photos and let you have at it.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So I'll be building my grow box tomorrow, and it's my first time making one. How deep do I need to make it? any recommendations on build? Doesn't seem to be much info out there.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As small as possible for collected material recovery. The roots should be snug.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My plan is to get them home and into large grow boxes with either the boon mix I currently use, or straight pumice. Not sure which to go with.
I've a question to put forth here JRDillWFM.
1st, I really like your 1st picture. Very nice opportunities, best wishes in your successes.

So you're waiting on a shipment of pumice. Me too, but reading the pH at
https://www.bonsaijack.com/shop/bon...ice/3-5-gallons-pumice-potting-soil-additive/
I'm also adding other components for other reasons but also to bring the pH down closer to Neutral of slightly acidic.
Some of my roses were growing in 4.5 pH in my landscape, checked with a cheap probe type pH checker, but acidic for sure.
So my question is geared more towards when you begin to work the roots of these collections later I guess.
It's hard telling what the Junipers current soil pH is, but are you aware of the higher pH using straight pumice?
I'm sure all batches vary, and origin would play into it some, but just some food for thought.
Again best of luck to you and your collections :)

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I think that question is more for someone in this thread that has recommended straight pumice. I am still new to this as I am only a year into my bonsai journey. From my understanding, it has to do with pumice having great draining qualities, but don't quote me on that.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think that question is more for someone in this thread that has recommended straight pumice. I am still new to this as I am only a year into my bonsai journey. From my understanding, it has to do with pumice having great draining qualities, but don't quote me on that.
Sure. I'm not an expert, heck I just have seat of the pants experience with what I have and that is lacking.
I know I've heard of folks using pumice straight, but didn't know it was so alkaline.
8.3 pH sounds a bit high, but when you know that Shimpaku's origin is from alkaline limestone areas
it eases my mind a bit. Can we switch up the pH from say 5 to 8 with better effects?
That's maybe a better question for me to ask. I'm more used to pH shock in reef aquaria settings.
I actually withhold Miracid on my Shimpaku due to its origin, but probably wouldn't hurt it one iota.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So, after a ridiculous delay with UPS on my pumice (literally sitting at a facility ten minutes from my home and I can't go get it?!), I was able to get Big Bertha into a new home. Not the best photos, but I will be taking more soon. I should have gone with 1x6 lumber for the walls, but I still think that would have been TOO tight. It's a little deeper than I would like, but it will be fine. I did not get enough pumice and I am definitely not waiting that long for more. I am going to top of with my bonsai soil mix. I put what little I had in one corner to fill a gap. It is 1:1:1 pumice, akadama, lava. Will this be OK considering 90% will be straight pumice? I just need to fill in a couple of gaps I am concerned with.

IMG_1342.jpg
IMG_1344.jpg
IMG_1345.jpg
IMG_1346.jpg

Reactions: Vin

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good. Hopefully you got a good rootball and didn't remove much native soil. Just make sure you mist the crap out of it and I would recommend shade with no direct sun for rest of year. In later winter you ought to be able to start exposing to more sun.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Looks good. Hopefully you got a good rootball and didn't remove much native soil. Just make sure you mist the crap out of it and I would recommend shade with no direct sun for rest of year. In later winter you ought to be able to start exposing to more sun.

Misting every day and watering the foliage while I water the tree. She is currently sitting under a big oak tree in my back yard with lots of cover. I got about 99% of the roots. The native soil was caked in there and a wet (you can see what I'm talking about in the third photo), muddy texture at the time, so I got A LOT of it. It literally popped right out of the ground with one shoveling.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think be careful about not watering the soil too much. It looks heavy and soggy, and you don't want to rot the center of the tootsie pop.
Water the foliage frequently, and keep the soil moist, but watch that you don't overwater.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Should be good, now it’s just up to great aftercare; misting the foliage and trunk constantly, not moving them, and resisting any urges to start pruning or styling. I have a couple RMJ I collected in 2013 that I still haven’t started to style. Probably could by now, but I did manage to kill one styling it last fall, 4 years off the mountain.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I think be careful about not watering the soil too much. It looks heavy and soggy, and you don't want to rot the center of the tootsie pop.

Yeah We got a couple of hours of rain today so I just let what little could fall through the tree get to it. I will be keeping an eye on it for sure. Good news is most of the root ball looks healthy and not as caked or muddy.

Should be good, now it’s just up to great aftercare; misting the foliage and trunk constantly, not moving them, and resisting any urges to start pruning or styling. I have a couple RMJ I collected in 2013 that I still haven’t started to style. Probably could by now, but I did manage to kill one styling it last fall, 4 years off the mountain.

Yeah I think I'l be fine with not working on this one for a while. I've got a nine month old baby at home to keep me preoccupied!

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
B-Bertha has very interesting movement.....on the dance floor

This thread too has been one for my note taking. Thanks and good lookin’ out and apparent implementation from the get go.
Impressive

Top Bottom