Some kind of conifer...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So my mom gave me some type of half-dead, baby Christmas tree her neighbor brought over after the holiday.
I haven't a clue what it is, so wondering if anyone can help me with the ID so I can give it the correct care (it may be already dead since the woman had it inside the last week or so). It's about 6-7 inches tall and the foliage is soft (compared to a pine or ERC). There's some browning to the tips & it was so root bound it wouldn't stay in the pot, so I went ahead and stuck it in a colander with my standard DE/calcined clay blend I use for everything.
Hopefully it'll pull through, though if not, at least I tried. IMG_20181230_154521.jpg

IMG_20181230_154528.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks, everyone! I am not super familiar with the different types of junipers, but the foliage is much softer than the typical, nursery junipers I have seen around here. I'm going to Google all of your guesses to see if I can find a match.

For now I just stuck it in the colander with my soil blend & buried the colander about 3/4 deep in the bed where I keep my conifers (except the Norfolks). It'll probably hang out there for a year or two until I remember to evaluate it for training. If it doesn't make a good candidate it will go out in the back pasture with the other rejects ?.

In my years of gardening I've never had a big interest in conifers until I saw all of the great specimens on here. There's a small learning curve but it's been fun figuring out the specifics of conifer growing. ?
Have a great one!

Top Bottom