Some large unknown dwarf boxwood

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just got these 2 large boxwood a couple hours ago, I'm not sure what type but they seem to be very compact and are pretty large. My plan was to prune them 6-8" but now I'm not so sure if I want to so severely... I'm not sure how I'll pot them if I want to keep a lot of growth? Should I chop low and pot up immediately?

Pic 1&2 are the first boxwood and the last two pics are the second boxwood. That's a blue 15gal. nursery pot for comparison.

2nd boxwood

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't need to worry about the amount of foliage for the size root system, you think those could take a hard root prune? I'd definitely like to get to know these first and not rush anything.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't need to worry about the amount of foliage for the size root system, you think those could take a hard root prune? I'd definitely like to get to know these first and not rush anything.
I don't think you need to prune the top. In my experience, box have a very fibrous root system and they move easily. Keep them in semi shade for a few months though.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks @MichaelS

I tried getting a decent amount of roots and had to shake the dirt off to move it around and it stayed like that in shade for a few hours. I planted them in cut down 10gal. pots, and put them in light morning sun.

I just wasn't sure if I should cut the top significantly. They do have pretty good interior growth though. They look a lot better when you can see actual depth.

Top Bottom