Some leaves dying on my Deshojo

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
I'd like to know if anyone has experienced this.
This Deshojo was attacked by spider mites this summer so I progressively defoliated it and by the beginning of September it had a new canopy.
Now suddenly at the beginning of October some leaves had this strange occurrence: a small part of the stem dries and shrinks, the leaf then bends down because it can't sustain its weight anymore and then fully dries.
Most of the leaves are fine though. We didn't have freeze yet and the min temp has never gone below 6C (42F).
Could it still be the effect of cold at night on young leaves or is it something else?

20171011_185916.jpg

20171011_190034.jpg

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is it in bonsai pot or ground?are uou sure its mites?its late in the season and the tree will be losing leaves n beneficial bugs will take over,can you see dormant buds for next season? If so i would not get to worked up,leaves look rough on alot of trees this time of year,hard to tell but looks like the leaf stalk got broken off

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is it in bonsai pot or ground?are uou sure its mites?its late in the season and the tree will be losing leaves n beneficial bugs will take over,can you see dormant buds for next season? If so i would not get to worked up,leaves look rough on alot of trees this time of year,hard to tell but looks like the leaf stalk got broken off
It's in a bonsai pot. I repotted it in the Spring of 2016.
The mites were gone after defoliation, no mites now.

hard to tell but looks like the leaf stalk got broken off
Since only some stalks had this treatment without any apparent reason, I was wondering if there is any disease that causes that. The wind would have had a more uniform treatment. Cold?
I'm not too worried about the overall health of the tree, just wondering if anyone witnessed the same.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It either a watering issue or a leaf disease, hence why I asked if you sprayed recently

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a similar problem with my ShindeShojo but in early spring. It does seem to be fungal/bacterial.

Try spraying a solution of 2 tablespoons 3% hydrogen peroxide in a quart of water (an a drop or two of detergent) every day or two as long as this condition persists.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
After some days I must say I'm not worried too much.
The involved leaves are just a few and it doesn't seem to be spreading.
A clearer picture. Here, on the same branch, one is affected and the sister leaf is not.
20171013_081323.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
After reading this, I think I will go with sulfur, when I have time...
Do a dormant spray of Lime Sulfer over the winter/ early Spring prior to bud break.. not because I think you have some big fungal issue, just because it is the smart thing to do with Maples. They are very prone to fungal attacks, especially Deshojo.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do a dormant spray of Lime Sulfer over the winter/ early Spring prior to bud break.. not because I think you have some big fungal issue, just because it is the smart thing to do with Maples. They are very prone to fungal attacks, especially Deshojo.
It's as delicate as beautiful ;-)
I will do it. Thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom