Some Little Tree in the Philippines

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some may be aware I'm traveling in the Philippines to start solidifying an eventual move here with my wife, who is from here. There's a concomitant travelogue thread about some of the travels, and another thread about some work on a bougainvillea I bought here when last here a year ago, and have been storing at my sister-in-law's home in Manila.

This thread is about a new little tree I purchased at what was an abandoned, run-down/neglected bonsai stall at a little alleyway of plant vendors. I have no idea what it is, but it looked promising, so when some girl from a nearby stall came by to see if she could help us, we had her call the owner ion her cell phone, describe the tree, and see how much it might sell for. I whispered to my wife, who always likes to bargain as is the culture here, to see if we could get it at some sort of discount by telling the girl that it was obviously in bad shape and not healthy since much of the trunk was dead and rotting - my wife just laughed and said the girl had just said that to the owner! Anyway, it was sold for about $40. Stands about 14" tall.

It was in very poor soil, in a small plastic pot that was falling apart, very root-bound, and the old wiring - fairly well done in the simple style prevalent here - had been left on far too long, and was digging in markedly in places. All I did was root prune, put it in a cheap Thai plastic "bonsai pot" reposition and trim the foliage a small amount, cut of the dug-in wires, and I think it cleaned up very nicely for a $40 tree. My sister-in-law will get some lime-sulphur and cure the deadwood in my absence, I hope.

I think the lower foliage either needs to go altogether, with the first photo as the front, or else be radically re-done if left on, and perhaps use some other angle then as the front.

Anyway, enjoy!

G52

Attachments

• IMG_4732.jpg
    IMG_4732.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_4735.jpg
    IMG_4735.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_4738.jpg
    IMG_4738.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4741.jpg
    IMG_4741.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 234

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well actually I love each side of this tree, if it was mine (I wish!) I will put it in a round pot :)

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very unusual and I like it. Probably a good idea to sell it to someone in Dallas Texas :D

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very unusual and I like it. Probably a good idea to sell it to someone in Dallas Texas :D

LOL! :)

Unfortunately, can't bring trees like this into the country anymore - even bare-rooted it is almost impossible.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I also like the 4th image and the 3rd image could be pleasant if the apex was more balanced. The spread on the base in the 3rd image suggests a larger rotted out trunk.

And all I can see when I look at the second image is a plucked chicken ready for pot (with one leg in the air)!

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I also like the 4th image and the 3rd image could be pleasant if the apex was more balanced. The spread on the base in the 3rd image suggests a larger rotted out trunk.

And all I can see when I look at the second image is a plucked chicken ready for pot (with one leg in the air)!

My vision totally!
Well in fact I saw a turkey.

The 3rd one is awesome also.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A series of updated photos on this guy taken by my wife, who's over in Manila now to claim our 40' shipping container and get it into storage. The tree survived the transplant without missing a beat, putting out some new whips, now needs some trimming - and it there are further photos of it after my wife's sister trims it, I'll post again. Any further thoughts what the front ought to be? Enjoy!Odd Guy-17-1.jpgOdd-Guy-2.jpgOdd-Guy-3.jpgOdd-Guy-4.jpg

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe the actual spelling is Filipina, although generally pronounced locally more like "Pilipina," although with just enough of a hint of the "F" sound remaining that it sounds decidedly non-Western ....

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LOL!

2:30 AM here, and we're off to Baguio in ten minutes for a few days - will take some pics upon return. Finally found some lime sulfur here - a bit too late for some of the deadwood, but my sister-in-law/sole-student is amazed at the effect on the remaining areas.

The little white rocks are my sis-in-law's idea ... she means well, thinks they add value and beauty, or some such ....

This trip is just to establish a legal/financial beach head here, so very business oriented - no time, perhaps, to hunt down any new trees, unless they're for sale along the road-side.

Photos in a few days ....

Top Bottom