Some new pots for your consideration

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would be interested in getting some feedback on what you think of the finishes on a few pots.

This first batch of photos shows a set of four pots made from a brown firing stoneware clay body. Each pot has been finished with the same reticulated glaze. The rim of each pot has been finished with a different, darker colored, complimentary glaze.

What do you think of these glaze combination's.

Regards,
Paul

Attachments

• 259-145-10.jpg
    259-145-10.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 259-146-10.jpg
    259-146-10.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 259-167-10.jpg
    259-167-10.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 259-170-10.jpg
    259-170-10.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 99

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
The bumpy texture is very cool, and the glaze is a nice tone and not too shiny. I like the third one the best, as the glaze on the rim blends more with the lower glaze, making it more subtle and stand out less. I would definitely put a tree in there...

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Shape and texture of #1 is nice with the blending of #3's color would be my choice... that being said I'd be happy to have any four of these. I dig the texture.

somegeek

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Paul,

You know I'm a huge fan of your work! My vote goes for #3 and #4. Very nice!

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The bumpy texture is very cool, and the glaze is a nice tone and not too shiny. I like the third one the best, as the glaze on the rim blends more with the lower glaze, making it more subtle and stand out less. I would definitely put a tree in there...

Brian,

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

In regards to your feedback on the third pot, do you mean that the glaze color is a better match or that the two glazes blend together more readily at the point of demarcation?

Regards,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shape and texture of #1 is nice with the blending of #3's color would be my choice... that being said I'd be happy to have any four of these. I dig the texture.

somegeek

somegeek,

Thanks for the positive feedback on the pots.

Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Paul,

You know I'm a huge fan of your work! My vote goes for #3 and #4. Very nice!

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the kind words and the feedback on my pots.

I am sorry to hear that you are moving away from bonsai. I hope your efforts to liquidate your material is moving in a positive direction.

Regards,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a few more for your viewing pleasure.

The following group of three pots are made from a tan colored stoneware clay body and are all finished with a glaze called Buttermilk.

What do you think about this glaze?

Paul

Attachments

• 153-39-10.jpg
    153-39-10.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 153-40-10.jpg
    153-40-10.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 153-41-10.jpg
    153-41-10.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 63

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Paul, good work, nice pots! I've always been partial to these magnesium matte glazes. The smooth buttery feel and iron spotting really adds tonal depth. Good photo work also.
Wood

Last edited:

biglou13

Mame
Reaction score
Brian,

do you mean that the glaze color is a better match or that the two glazes blend together more readily at the point of demarcation?
l

i like. care to share glaze? (pm?) some have more pronounced reticulation, is that controllable or up to the kiln gods?

i think 3 its a better color combination (subtle), however the transition/demarcation is more favorable on first, depending on tree, all color combinations work.some pieces will need a stronger "frame"

i like the the buttermilk reminds me of antique stoneware jar, i like the tonal ranges, i've gotten similar effect, with some type of speckle underglaze, how did you create "banding" efffect? it ads dimension

Last edited:

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I just meant that the two glazes (rim, and body) blend together and don't look like two completely separate colors. Very nice pots.

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Paul all your pots are beautiful. Do you have any large rectangle or oval for sale 18" x 12"

Art

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the kind words and the feedback on my pots.

I am sorry to hear that you are moving away from bonsai. I hope your efforts to liquidate your material is moving in a positive direction.

Regards,
Paul

Thanks Paul. Reducing a collection is a slow process...or so I'm finding out. I'll still be around here at BNUT (Probably not as much as I used to) and I'll keep a few trees to keep that bonsai fire burning. And of course my pjkatich pots are displayed nicely on a shelf in my home office waiting for the day I can fill them with some nice shohin trees. :)

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Paul, good work, nice pots! I've always been partial to these magnesium matte glazes. The smooth buttery feel and iron spotting really adds tonal depth. Good photo work also.
Wood

Thanks Gary, your input is always appreciated.

Your glaze identification skills are keen. Yes, this is a magnesium matte glaze. It gets it's magnesium content from dolomite and talc. However, there is a zirconium component that aids in the development of the visual depth. As you pointed out, the glaze shows off the iron spotting very well.

Regards,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i like. some have more pronounced reticulation, is that controllable or up to the kiln gods?

Hi Lou,

The reticulation is controllable to a certain extent. The underlying clay surface will affect the end results. The viscosity of the glaze and how the glaze is applied are also important factors. Handling of the glazed pot and its location within the kiln will also affect how the glaze responds. And as always, the kiln gods will always have their say in what the final outcome is.

i think 3 its a better color combination (subtle), however the transition/demarcation is more favorable on first, depending on tree, all color combinations work.some pieces will need a stronger "frame"

I'm not clear on what you mean by "some pieces will need a stronger 'frame'." Would you care to elaborate?

i like the the buttermilk reminds me of antique stoneware jar, i like the tonal ranges, i've gotten similar effect, with some type of speckle underglaze, how did you create "banding" efffect? it ads dimension

The iron spotting is a by-product of the clay body which contains some iron and the firing process. These spots are places where the iron particles burn out of the clay due to the reduction atmosphere of the gas kiln.

The banding effects are a result of the way the glaze was applied. I used a brush for these ones.

Top Bottom