Some new pots

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I fired a load in the kiln this past weekend. Most of it was various test pots and tiles, but there were a few other things going.

These first two are a couple of rustic/namban style pots, both are about 7 inche by 1 1/2 inches deep.

Both had some sand added to the clay, some of which bled out. The first one was then coated in a lighter slip, the other is an oxide wash.

Attachments

• IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0097.JPG
    IMG_0097.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 53

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The blue one is 10 inches by 2 inches deep. The other one is 6 inches by 3 inches deep.

Attachments

• IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 36

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These were a couple from a previous firing. The clay wasn't supposed to bleed out so much, it should have looked like granite, rather than a chocolate chip cookie. The lighter one is 8 inches by 3 inches deep, the darker is 7 inches by 2 inches deep.

Attachments

• IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_copy.JPG
    IMG_copy.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a few of the test pots that came out nice. The dish is 6 inches by 1 inch deep. The others are all 2-3 inches across, and about the same depth. The might make nice mame or accent pots!

Attachments

• IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 30

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These were a couple from a previous firing. The clay wasn't supposed to bleed out so much, it should have looked like granite, rather than a chocolate chip cookie. The lighter one is 8 inches by 3 inches deep, the darker is 7 inches by 2 inches deep.

Now you've made me hungry. I wonder if I could dunk it in a glass of milk.

The blue one is my favorite darrell, nice job

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And not to be left out, here are a few my daugther made. She is actually the one who got me started in pottery, as we could not find any 'serious' pottery class that would take a 10 year old unless I took the class as well. They are all in the 2-4 inch size, just right for the size of trees she likes!

Attachments

• IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0104 copy.JPG
    IMG_0104 copy.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 24

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey, these look real familiar!

I was lucky enough to spend an hour or so with Jason at Darrell's place this afternoon. Darrell is a) a hell of a nice guy, b) talented in many crafty areas of his life - bonsai, pots, car restoration, woodworking, landscaping, pond building, etc., c) has a perfect garage setup for numermerous hobbies, d) is off to a terrific start on pot building.

Learning by trial and error, I believe that Darrell will eventially come to a point where he is one of the premier pot builders in the NW. I say this because he is working on a couple of of things at once - technique, materials and finishes. I don't know how many total pots Darrell has made, but I would guess this posting represents a fair amount of them. Look at the variety in style, material and finish - each one is different and unique. I think this method to Darrell's madness will allow him to excel in leaps in bounds.

As a current owner of a custom DW pot (THANKS!), and one who will comission many pots in the future, I am glad that Darrell is posting these pots and that he is receiving the positve feedback that he deserves.

Rich

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wow I really like the blue one. Nice job on all of them though. Pottery is another craft that I admire in others - I just don't have the time to dedicate. However I love a well-made pot as much if not more than a nice tree.

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the kinds works (except maybe Rich, you made be blush, dude! :) ).

-Darrell

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darrelw,

That one round pot that looks like high sierra granite looks fantastic. Maby when my juniper is ready next year I will see if I can solicit your services to make me an oval. Can you mix crushed quartzite and diorite in the mix like you do sand? I want to have a high sierra theme going with this one. I'll keep you in mind and when the tree looks more presentable after spring I'll post some pics and go from there.

Reaction score
Darrell is a) a hell of a nice guy, b) talented in many crafty areas of his life - bonsai, pots, car restoration, woodworking, landscaping, pond building, etc., c) has a perfect garage setup for numermerous hobbies, d) is off to a terrific start on pot building.

Are we supposed to choose the best answer?
where is.... e)all of the above, :D

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darrelw,

That one round pot that looks like high sierra granite looks fantastic. Maby when my juniper is ready next year I will see if I can solicit your services to make me an oval. Can you mix crushed quartzite and diorite in the mix like you do sand? I want to have a high sierra theme going with this one. I'll keep you in mind and when the tree looks more presentable after spring I'll post some pics and go from there.

I'm sure I can mix some in, then we just have to see what happens with them in the firing! Unfortunately I've not had any time for my pottery since the spring, but hopefully I'll get back at it over the winter. I have been collecting various "rough" materials to experiment with (all the siftings from my soil, and any other interesting mineral component), so I'm hoping some will yield interesting, rustic results.

-Darrell

fwhou

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot Sizes?

I fired a load in the kiln this past weekend. Most of it was various test pots and tiles, but there were a few other things going.

These first two are a couple of rustic/namban style pots, both are about 7 inche by 1 1/2 inches deep.

Both had some sand added to the clay, some of which bled out. The first one was then coated in a lighter slip, the other is an oxide wash.

What is the largest rectangular or oval you have made so far? Am asking cause I have several large Pondrosa which will need "special" pots in the spring.
Flex / 4MAAT

Top Bottom