Some new pots

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Focusing on the glazes, I like them best in this order: #2, #1, #3, #4.

I am interested in the technique that gives the crackled effect. Can you explain how that's done?

Jeff
AKA Bonsai Barry

Thanks for the feedback on the finishes Jeff.

In regards to your question, below is a link for a video that shows how the crackled effect is accomplished.

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/pottery...ckled-texture-on-pottery-surfaces/?floater=99

Enjoy,
Paul

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like the glazes you're using and your excellent work with these -- with the exception of the cracked finish. Those kinds of pots seem to be all the rage among potters these days. I have a very hard time finding a tree that is appropriate for them, even old pines.

I think it has to do with the surface color used on some of them. Very light colors over darker clay give them a jarring appearance, to me anyway. Subtler surface colors (greys, darker green, deeper browns, ect) would make them less so.

All of this is probably my hang-up though...:D

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like the glazes you're using and your excellent work with these -- with the exception of the cracked finish. Those kinds of pots seem to be all the rage among potters these days. I have a very hard time finding a tree that is appropriate for them, even old pines.

I think it has to do with the surface color used on some of them. Very light colors over darker clay give them a jarring appearance, to me anyway. Subtler surface colors (greys, darker green, deeper browns, ect) would make them less so.

All of this is probably my hang-up though...:D

I would not call it a hang-up rockm, you are just a traditionalist.

And you are right, the cracked finishes are not for everyone. Those with a more traditional outlook on bonsai do have a hard time with containers that don't follow the Japanese guidelines on aesthetics. However, sometimes you just need to think outside the pot.

Hang-up or not, I appreciate the constructive feedback. You continue to provide me with a great deal of good information that helps me grow as a potter.

Thanks,
Paul

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I would not call it a hang-up rockm, you are just a traditionalist"

I wouldn't call me a strict traditonalist, or even a traditionalist. I use a wide variety of pots, including a lot of American, U.K, Austrian and German potters.I like definitely like pots that skirt traditional lines. I've used a Ron Lang wood fired orange/shino glazed oval pot, for instance, with a Bald Cypress. I've used a Bryan Albright grey glazed riveted nanban with a collected cedar elm...

Light glazes and finishes are very difficult to use with many trees. Lighter glazes and surfaces tend to overpower the tree in the pot, unless the tree has something equally colorful to offer, like flowers or lighter bark. Adding a rough surface to a light glaze is sort of a contradiction -- the surface texture suggests a rugged tree, while the lighter color suggests a less austere one.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't call me a strict traditonalist, or even a traditionalist. I use a wide variety of pots, including a lot of American, U.K, Austrian and German potters.I like definitely like pots that skirt traditional lines. I've used a Ron Lang wood fired orange/shino glazed oval pot, for instance, with a Bald Cypress. I've used a Bryan Albright grey glazed riveted nanban with a collected cedar elm...

I'm glad to hear that you are willing to push the envelop a bit with some of your pot choices rockm.

The two gentlemen to listed above are a couple of my favorite potters too.

Light glazes and finishes are very difficult to use with many trees. Lighter glazes and surfaces tend to overpower the tree in the pot, unless the tree has something equally colorful to offer, like flowers or lighter bark. Adding a rough surface to a light glaze is sort of a contradiction -- the surface texture suggests a rugged tree, while the lighter color suggests a less austere one.

You make some very valid points here rock.

Yes, adding a rough surface to a light colored glaze does present somewhat of a dichotomy. However, they sure are fun to make.

Cheers,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a couple more for your consideration.

Regards,
Paul

Attachments

• 259-013-11.jpg
    259-013-11.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 306-040-11.jpg
    306-040-11.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 15
  • PX-037-11.jpg
    PX-037-11.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 12

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Paul, nice pots! Have you tried .5%Cu with the Mg Co glaze? Early reduction really gives a different look.
Wood

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Paul, nice pots! Have you tried .5%Cu with the Mg Co glaze? Early reduction really gives a different look.
Wood

Hey Gary!

I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

I've tried copper with the mud crack before and wasn't all that impressed with the results. However, all the tests were done at greater percentages of copper than the one you asked about.

When you say "early reduction" what exactly do you mean? What cone or what temperature do you recommend starting and how long would you recommend keeping the kiln in reduction?

Nice to hear from you.

Cheers,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a new glaze on these two pots.

Any thoughts on this finish?

Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• HH-019-11.jpg
    HH-019-11.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 24
  • HH-020-11.jpg
    HH-020-11.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 18

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul, very very nice! Your magnesium base with cobalt is what I was referring to. This last glaze is a good example of how a little Ti can modify a Cu red. A little Cu will affect your Mg base in the, almost, same way. The lavender is modified. Just a little different look. Red. ^012 and light throughout.
Wood

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Paul, your work is very nice. Thank you for sharing.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice Paul!

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul, very very nice! Your magnesium base with cobalt is what I was referring to. This last glaze is a good example of how a little Ti can modify a Cu red. A little Cu will affect your Mg base in the, almost, same way. The lavender is modified. Just a little different look. Red. ^012 and light throughout.
Wood

I must say, you have a good eye for glazes Gary.

The last glaze is called Plum Chun and yes, it does contain some tin oxide.

Much obliged for the helpful tips and the compliment.

Regards,
Paul

Reaction score
I am really impressed with your work. I love the glazed oval, I #4, but 1 and 2 are beautiful. What are the sizes and do you sell. I need some larger pots.

Top Bottom